Toying with Captivate

SJorge3442

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Whats going on everyone. I just acquired my sisters old Captivate as she just purchased and iPhone and I want to play around with it. I am a long time blackberry user and dont foresee myself jumping ship, but if you guys convince me, I'll be heading out for an S3.

Anyway. I want to know what I can do to this phone to make it comparable to the newer phones. I know you can root 4.1 onto it, but I have NO IDEA how to do this. Also, the Kies system will not let me upgrade to gingerbread on this phone. Any pointers?

-Steve

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
You using Kies or Kies mini? You should be able to upgrade through Kies mini assuming you aren't rooted. It won't work if your rooted. I don't have a captivate but I used to and its where I learned everything I knew about Android and all and all its a very easy phone to mod and root, and development is awesome on it. You'll need to upgrade to gingerbread first though, as cm9 and 10 use the gingerbread bootloader.

Also I don't know what all info they have here but xda has tons and tons of info on all this stuff, so check there.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

SJorge3442

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
thanks for the quick reply. I tried using Kies Mini. It downloads the boot files, but then says its unable to perform the update and insists that I remove the battery and try again. Ive tried a half dozen times now.

ThatTechHead

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
Have you checked out the official website? Also check out xda. If you cant find anything look around for any roms and root methods for froyo, then get gingerbread from there.

Edit: Also, the s3 is one of the hottest phones out right now, but don't be bound up in options, check out the evo lte, galaxy nexus, one x, one s, Droid RAZR HD (coming soon) or one of the high end lg phones.
Sent from my LG Optimus Elite, bone stock.

cormaster628

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
no its on 2.2. Is there anyway to upload gingerbread without Kies

I think their is Odin and heimdale one click programs for gingerbread. You'll need the bootloader to go any further. It can be risky but no more risky than Kies, pretty much it's next to impossible to brick unless your dealing with bootloaders. I'm assuming the phone is out of warranty, the advantage of using Kies is if it bricks the phone, warranty will cover it, but if your out of warranty you might as well use Odin or heimdale.

Just make sure you read all instructions very carefully and make sure you have a good usb port and cable.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress