Tranfering data from s9+ (stored locally) the an S22 - on the cloud? Dont know where to start!

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi there,

So im looking for some advice on what and how to transfer all of my content from S9 to S22!

I currently have an S9+ with 256gb internal memory and a 500gb card. Local memory is full and the card is at about 60%.

The phone is essentially broken otherwise I'd probably be sticking with it!

I have however just bought myself a shiny new S22 and I'm a bit stuck on what next!!

I have a one drive account and a drop box! Im not worried about opening any other accounts or in fact paying for them - but what I want to do is back all of my content up to the cloud and then set up the new phone so the content i need is installed locally - and im assuming everything else stays in the cloud! What do i do?? Whats the best cloud hosting service for phones? Is the older content stored on the cloud and the newer on the phone? I havent got a clue! Ive always had memory cards and dont know where to start really!

For example - how do i back it all from my current phone to the cloud? I have absolutely everything on this device - pictures, videos, apps, docs etc etc etc

I'm sure theres an easy way - but not sure what it is!!

:-(

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Hi there,

So im looking for some advice on what and how to transfer all of my content from S9 to S22!

I currently have an S9+ with 256gb internal memory and a 500gb card. Local memory is full and the card is at about 60%.

The phone is essentially broken otherwise I'd probably be sticking with it!

I have however just bought myself a shiny new S22 and I'm a bit stuck on what next!!

I have a one drive account and a drop box! Im not worried about opening any other accounts or in fact paying for them - but what I want to do is back all of my content up to the cloud and then set up the new phone so the content i need is installed locally - and im assuming everything else stays in the cloud! What do i do?? Whats the best cloud hosting service for phones? Is the older content stored on the cloud and the newer on the phone? I havent got a clue! Ive always had memory cards and dont know where to start really!

For example - how do i back it all from my current phone to the cloud? I have absolutely everything on this device - pictures, videos, apps, docs etc etc etc

I'm sure theres an easy way - but not sure what it is!!

:-(

Samsung set up a deal with Microsoft to move their cloud saving to OneDrive. That is your best bet. You can backup your Photos and videos and documents to OneDrive to save them to the cloud. Your settings can be backed up using SmartSwitch on a PC. This is the better way to backup your S9 and to transfer the app data etc to the S22. You can select which items you want to restore to your new phone. Also do a settings and app backup to Google as well just to be sure you don’t lose anything.

itstime2222

Mar 28, 2022
Visit site
Samsung set up a deal with Microsoft to move their cloud saving to OneDrive. That is your best bet. You can backup your Photos and videos and documents to OneDrive to save them to the cloud. Your settings can be backed up using SmartSwitch on a PC. This is the better way to backup your S9 and to transfer the app data etc to the S22. You can select which items you want to restore to your new phone. Also do a settings and app backup to Google as well just to be sure you don’t lose anything.

Ah great advice thanks. I think i have smart switch and my s9 is constantly backing up in a million places! How do you chose what you want to stay locally or what you want installed on your phone?

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I keep things I may need to use, document wise, like Powers of Attorney etc. I keep a few photos after backing them up to the cloud. And a little bit of music. But I mainly backup all my photos and videos to Amazon Photos and OneDrive. I get unlimited uploads to Google Photos via my Pixel 2XL so once a month I backup my photos there and then delete them from my phone. But they are already on OneDrive. I buy a family subscription to Microsoft 365 from Amazon when they have it on offer so I get 1TB storage there for about £50 a year but I also get access to Office apps and 60 Minutes each month on Skype so it is worth it for me.

I get Amazon photos free with Prime which I use every month anyway.