Forgot pattern + No Gmail = bricked?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
So got my captivate today, and I forgot what my pattern was and hadn't setup gmail yet and now I am at a loss. I managed to get into the bootloader once, cleared the user data but no dice. Everything on the net says to just hold the volume down button then power on the phone and a menu will pop up but I can't make that work either. Any other ideas? I want to play with my phone. So far I have only sent a text message :(

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Fixed it using the data cable. I had it plugged into my PC with the MPT driver installed, then shut the phone down and turned it back on holding down the vol down button and the home key. Once it booted into the OS it bypassed the too many pattern attempt message so I then did a factory reset. Must be some kinda bug in there.

TreyDaPrince

Oct 28, 2009
Visit site
It is. Its been a known bug for quite some time now. I'm impressed that you found such an easy solution. Others haven't been so fortunate. Good job sir.

mythlace

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
hey dude, I have been trying the same but it doesn't seem to be working. Can you please send me the link for the MTP that you have installed.

one more question, which OS are you using on the computer?

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Now that I know more about the phone, I would just download the Odin One Click that puts you back to stock JF6. Download it from here then do the following: [STOCK ROM] Odin3 One-Click Downloader and Drivers CAPTIVATE ONLY - xda-developers

1. Open the exe from the file you download
2. Take the battery out of the phone
3. Take out your sim and external SD
4. Put your battery back in
5. While holding down Vol+ and Vol- at the same time, plug in the USB cable and the phone should go into download mode
6. Watch odin to see if it says ready then click start.

Doing this will just flash what your phone came with so if you want to stay stock unrooted this will do it, and you can still download the ATT OTA update.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Actually, that JF6 in ODIN is not a stock ROM, and you will not be able to successfully install the OTA update. You can start it, but it will not finish properly.

AoN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty