need help with contacts

julie524

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
I've searched through all the posts in this section regarding contacts and am still having trouble. I just got my Captivate on Friday and this is frustrating me to the point I almost want to go back to MetroPCS. Almost.

I imported my facebook, yahoo and gmail contacts onto the phone, but cannot assign anybody to a group or give them a ringtone. Then I saved and exported the contacts to my computer, uploaded them as gmail contacts, got rid of the duplicates and changed any information it wouldn't let me change on the phone (like addresses). Some contacts had their address entered multiple times (from another issue that has nothing to do with the phone). I fixed all that and got it how I wanted it and my contacts was at 218. I then saved the file and imported it back onto my phone. Now there are at least 2 duplicates of everyone and all the multiples address and whatnot are back again (instead of staying deleted).

I'm not sure if it's from adding more contacts without taking out the original set, but I can't figure out how to do that. I can take out the yahoo and facebook contacts, but anyone associated with the gmail account, which is now everyone, won't go away. I'm not able to unsync that account because the the phone won't let me. I've been trying to fix this since Friday night and cannot figure out a solution.

Is there a way to delete all the contacts on the phone at once without having to do it person by person? Because of the duplicates there are 318 contacts.

I hope all that made sense. Please help and thanks in advance.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Using your computer go into your gmail account and select contacts, from there you can check multiple contacts and delete. It will still be a little time consuming but will work.

julie524

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
But then when I resync my contacts back onto the phone it just creates another 218 contacts, it's not overwriting the ones that were already there.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
After updating in your pc wipe data and cache in your contacts then sync. To wipe go to settings-applications-manage applications-find your contact or people app and clear data. Hope this works for you

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
In CONTACTS, you probably have it displaying your gmail contacts and your SIM card. I had to delete all the contacts on my SIM card to stop this, which is not a big deal for me since the SIM card could not store everything anyway. Now that you have it in Gmail (the cloud), there is no more need of the safety net of copying your contacts to your SIM card.

In the display options (from Contacts) you can set which ones to show. I bet yours is showing gmail AND SIM contacts now. That is what mine did when I first got it. Kill your SIM contacts with prejudice.

julie524

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
After updating in your pc wipe data and cache in your contacts then sync. To wipe go to settings-applications-manage applications-find your contact or people app and clear data. Hope this works for you

I'm not using a contact app so there's no application to take away. I wish there was!

In CONTACTS, you probably have it displaying your gmail contacts and your SIM card. I had to delete all the contacts on my SIM card to stop this, which is not a big deal for me since the SIM card could not store everything anyway. Now that you have it in Gmail (the cloud), there is no more need of the safety net of copying your contacts to your SIM card.

In the display options (from Contacts) you can set which ones to show. I bet yours is showing gmail AND SIM contacts now. That is what mine did when I first got it. Kill your SIM contacts with prejudice.

I can make it not show the contacts on the SIM, but they all show in the unassigned group listing. I'd like to get them all off completely because its just taking up unnecessary space.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
In regards to your question about assigning ringtones: You cannot assign a ringtone to a gmail (or any other virtual) contact. You must enter the contacts you want to have a ringtone to the phone memory..you can then link them for the additional info you may have on gmail, yahoo, whatever

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I can make it not show the contacts on the SIM, but they all show in the unassigned group listing. I'd like to get them all off completely because its just taking up unnecessary space.

This is why I ended up deleting them. If you remove your gmail contacts for the moment, so only the SIM card contacts are showing, then DELETE them. One by one.

Yep.

Once completed, then sync your gmail down for a pristine list.

Captivational

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
This is why I ended up deleting them. If you remove your gmail contacts for the moment, so only the SIM card contacts are showing, then DELETE them. One by one.

Yep.

Once completed, then sync your gmail down for a pristine list.

Is there REALLY not an easier way to delete the Sim card contacts? I've been dealing with the same dilemma and voice dialing and selecting contacts for texting and e-mails is bogged down with extraneous contacts...so annoying. I've got 200 + sim contacts...deleting them individually is a nightmare. Is there no other way??? :(

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I can only say that I did them one at a time because "I" did not see another way. I blame ATT for telling me to backup to the SIM in the first place ;).

I am not an expert though, so there may be a way. Make ATT give you a new SIM... that should do it too. I do not know how difficult that might be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amy453