Updated GPS?

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This its interesting...from samsung mobile twitter account.

ATTN #Vibrant users: We've created an app to help optimize GPS. Go to the Android Market & search for GPSSamsungRestore: http://ow.ly/3hEM1

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Interesting indeed...

Can the application be ran on the Captivate & Vibrant running either official production load or MR software?
Yes.

EDIT: It's actually titled "GPS Restore"...not GPSSamsungRestore as it tells you in the post. I DL'd it, but I have yet to test it.

Last edited:

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Keep us posted. Corey's comments about his GPS from the leaked Verizon patch had me excited too. I can get it going decent enough to not complain, but would like it better!

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if the settings must be set to default value for a possible...frozen yogurt + Firmware update.... to actually resolve current GPS issues.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I didn't get good time to test this....but I did quickly try it out. Unfortunately, I'm not initially impressed.

Those that do get positive results do me a favor, reply back in couple days later.

Reason being is, in order for the app to complete it has to lock on a GPS (this is where mine hung up and failed....but possibly for good reason). So those that are saying they are gettin locks within seconds after this "fix" could simply be looking at the Satellite that already locked on due to this app.

Still have yet to give it a good run though...

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, do me a favor and post back with results...

Cause the App has to lock onto a Sat in order for it to complete, so the fact that you get a lock after the app isn't that impressive.

The question is how quick can you lock after you've lost a Sat.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
After spending a day with it, I can honestly say that it's an improvement! Not a fix....but definitely an improvement.

demp_D-1417

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I have installed the App and tested against my vehicle GPS. I tested it using Google Maps destination and my car destination from my job to home ( 15 miles) and and it matched the information I was seeing on my car GPS.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
....it's not about the info shown (route givin).

It's about gettin a lock on GPS (how quick).

I don't care how quick it locks as long as it is under a minute. What I want is something that improves the signal strength of the satellite lock, which in turns increases the accuracy of the GPS mapping. I can get a 10 satellites to lock while I am standing still and it will retain that lock while I am driving, but My Tracks tends to be inaccurate and sometimes Google Navigation says I am on the wrong road.

I've actually had very good luck with my GPS (and I get a lock in about 15 seconds), but it could stand to be more accurate. And retaining that accuracy over a long period of time is critical.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of seconds in a minute...but I know what you're saying.

Every time I come to an underpass/intersection (or a road the runs parallel within 50ft) I usually get a Recalc Route message....which sucks pretty bad when your destination is close to that intersection!

The only difference I've noticed in this GPS app restore is a quicker lock. Accuracy is about as shotty as it was before (in my experience).

demp_D-1417

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
So, let me understad what the complaints are all about. How fast you lock on to satelites is the most important? I was seeing 10 Satellites with GPS Test.
I am located in Oklahoma and no are no blockage of look angle to the Satellites.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Before this "fix" I ran the GPS test (LBSmode...whatever it's called) and had at least 9 satellites within a few seconds.

But when I pulled up Google Maps (again pre-fix) it would often take up to a minute to find a Sat.....I'm not goin to pretend to know the ins-and-outs of GPS-ery, but I have read that simply running the test is different then an actually real world lock (as in with Google Maps).

BetaRoc

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I ran it and it never could lock onto my position. It would retry three times and then ask me to find a clear sky and retry. I did and was still unable to get a lock.

When I pull up Google Maps it has me located all the way across the state. lol

sad

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm running Froyo (Cognition), and (on my phone at least) GPS works well enough to navigate through traffic and in urban areas of cities I don't know (Washington DC).

Turning off "use wireless networks" can help stop the track jumping away from your current position, but it can mean that you wait a little longer for the initial lock (which is often required to let the app you need begin to work- e.g. google nav).

Under lbstestmode,

SUPL/CP Settings, I hit auto config.

Application settings, standalone mode.

Hope this helps,

AoN