Major market issues, still.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
PLEASE HELP!! Mods, if you need to, move this to my other thread. But this is a huge issue so I wanted it new.

I cannot download anything from the market on my two day old captivate, it seems, as soon as the market updates itself. I've tried everything I can possibly find online about others with this issue. For some, the most common solution, cleaning the market cache worked. I've tried it all.......over and over......this is the list of things accross the web I've found and tried, repeatedly......

* Cleaned cache of market/google apps/ market updater/download manager/checkin/google talk service

* Remvoed SD/SIM card rebooted

* tried on 3G/wifi

* logged in to google talk

* Change my time to auto/manual

*Created a new google account

*several hard resets

*uninstalling market updates.

But all above measures still don?t solve my problem. Still get download unsuccessful error, then if I uninstall market updates things say starting download, but it never does.

Every time I do a hard reset, without doing anything else other than getting online, I manage to get a few apps downloaded, then it seems as soon as the market updates itself automatically, it stops working and I get the unsuccesful download error for everything. Then I uninstall the market update and any download sits at the starting download screen indefinitely.

So, I'm guessing that the automatic market update is screwing things up. But how do I stop it, or is there any help any one else may have? PLEASE. I can't even return this phone but if I don't have the market, it's useless.

Thanks.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I bought it new online from newayci.com which has a no return policy unless DOA. Dumb I know, but how can you predict a stupid problem like this. Of all the problems I thought I might encounter, having the market not work for me at all wasn't even on the radar.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I bought it new online from newayci.com which has a no return policy unless DOA. Dumb I know, but how can you predict a stupid problem like this. Of all the problems I thought I might encounter, having the market not work for me at all wasn't even on the radar.

Ok well would you like to try Flashing a new operating system over this? we will try two steps. first we will try to flash 2.1 using Odin. and i have a video to walk you through it.... if that doesnt work we will move on to flashing Froyo.

Here is the tool you will need:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Here is the video that will walk you through it.
YouTube - Odin 1 Click Download How-To (Samsung Captivate Stock Firmware)

Please let me know how it turns out.

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok well would you like to try Flashing a new operating system over this? we will try two steps. first we will try to flash 2.1 using Odin. and i have a video to walk you through it.... if that doesnt work we will move on to flashing Froyo.

Here is the tool you will need:
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Here is the video that will walk you through it.
YouTube - Odin 1 Click Download How-To (Samsung Captivate Stock Firmware)

Please let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for the help. That seems pretty scary. What are the chances of bricking? I mean, this phone was new out of the box I'd sure hate to brick it if I screw something up.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
it is EXTREMELY HARD to actually permenantly brick your phone. but if you aren't comfortable trying this, than yeah probably best you dont try.

best to go with Ragnarox advice then

Reactions: Nodnerb

Nodnerb

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again for the help. I am leary of doing that to a new phone and, although I am a newbie here, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the android market update. I've found a few posts from people that have pretty much deduced the same thing as me through enough trial and error. As soon as the market updates itself, even after a fresh reset where nothing was done except setting up gmail and internet/wifi, the problems begin. When the old interface is there I can get a download or two in, and then when the updated interface shows up after a few minutes, no downloads what so ever work.

So, does anyone know where I can check when and if a new version will be out, or a fix, patch, anything for the market. Or a way to stop it from automatically updating itself? If I just wait a month will there eventually be a fix?

And thanks ragnarokx, for the link. That may be my only solution for now. Either that, or selling it.

Sorry for harping on this so much, but I have a pretty useless brand new smartphone right now where I know the exact problem, just not how to fix it.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
If it needs to be broken more in order for it to be replaced by this fly-by-night outfit you bought it from... that could probably be arranged. Then go get one from ATT, Bestbuy, Samsclub, Costco or whatever so you can get some decent customer service on your replacement.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Couple of things:

1. Have you tried to return at the vendor? You should.

2. Have you called AT&T customer service, and asked them what to do?

3. Did you pay for it with a credit card? Your card's customer service are the best way to deal with this- explain what happened, and see if they'll lean on the vendor or stop payment.

HtH

AoN

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
If you paid by credit card as mentioned call your credit card issuer (the entity that sends you a statement) and request a reversal. It's called a chargeback from the merchant's standpoint and the company you bought the phone from will have to document why the charge shouldn't be removed. They're going to have an almost impossible time defending selling you a smartphone that can't access the marketplace.

Usually in a case like this you will get the charge reversed because they've shipped you defective goods.

I would first call the company you bought it from and give them the opportunity to replace the phone and if they refuse tell them you're calling your credit card company to have the charge refunded. This may prompt them to send you a new phone because they know that odds are they will lose the chargeback and the chargeback process itself costs them money in addition to the amount you paid whether they win or lose.

Any smartphone that can't access apps qualifies as DOA IMO.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
If it was my phone i would make a stink. No matter what their DOA policy which i would never by from a company with such a policy. If it is something with the phone i would make them take it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non