Wifi Direct in relationship to Galaxy Note2

ItsaRaid

May 24, 2010
Visit site
In going into the wifi control panel at the bottom there was " Wifi Direct ". I was hopeful that one of the more Seasoned or experienced members of this forum could explain. What it is, how it is different than normal n-wifi and its relationship or impact on the Galaxy Note2 and its use.
Im using a Linksys Extreme gamer N Router, 3 antennas on it if that helps. Looks like it came from star trek.
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

ipaulr

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wifi Direct in relationship to Galaxy anote2

In going into the wifi control panel at the bottom there was " Wifi Direct ". I was hopeful that one of the more Seasoned or experienced members of this forum could explain. What it is, how it is different than normal n-wifi and its relationship or impact on the Galaxy Note2 and its use.
Im using a Linksys Extreme gamer N Router, 3 antennas on it if that helps. Looks like it came from star trek.
Thank you in advance.

Great question. made me curious too. Here's what I found out.

" Wi-Fi Direct allows Android 4.0 (API level 14) or later devices with the appropriate hardware to connect directly to each other via Wi-Fi without an intermediate access point. Using these APIs, you can discover and connect to other devices when each device supports Wi-Fi Direct, then communicate over a speedy connection across distances much longer than a Bluetooth connection. This is useful for applications that share data among users, such as a multiplayer game or a photo sharing application."

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
It allows you to share large files wirelessly between devices. When you use S Beam, it starts a wifi direct connection. I just noticed that is doesn't work between the GN2 and the GS3 though, which sucks.