Samsung Galaxy S8 - Cannot connect to my home WIFI (IP / No Internet) Yes this again!

Fishcake2020

Sep 12, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am kinda out of options now as I have tried all the known fixes and some for the dreaded cannot obtain IP address / Internet may not be avalable problem...

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 and this problem only occours on my home WIFI (Vodafone) - when I go to my friends house who has SKY it works flawlessly...

-------------------

Clearing the google play services cache used to allow the cannot obtain IP address to not happen - but since the AUG 1 update it now wont unless I set a static IP / DNS.

either way no matter what I do it always stops at Intenet may not be avalable and its not joking - I really have no internet.

---------------------

I have tried....

Factory Resetting the phone / Phone Cache / Google Play cache.

Set statip IP and DNS correctlly - (Using both the default gateway IP and google DNS servers - and even mixed them up to see)

Set up the guest IP on my router / Set up a 2nd and even 3rd router as a second and third Access Point (One being a SKY router like where it worked at my firends) - correctlly. (Using both static and DHCP)

All the normal forget network / reset network settings in the phone.

- I was looking for the WIFI thing in developer optons as well thats about on the net - I do not even have that opton in developer option.

--------------------

Main problem is - execpt at my friends house and elsewhere (So i can connect if the conditions are right it seems) -- DHCP is outright broken since the AUG 1 update (and was befoe if you didnt clear the google play cache after a factory reset) - and results in "Cannot obtain IP address" (Even though the router says it has one)

Setting a static IP moves past cannot obtain IP address - but then gets stuck on "Internet may not be avalable" and gives me no internet as well when i try to load a page.

--------------------

I don't know what else to try now I am litterlly at the end of my teather (If you parden the pun)

Thank you in advance if you have any ideas.

Oh and I might like to add - nothing else has any problem at all connecting to these wifi networks - computers nor other android phones - but none that are the S8.

Fishcake

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Considering all that you've tried, it might be worth trying a new router. Sometimes, a particular router can have firmware bugs that affect connection with certain devices.

Felim_Doyle

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
If the phone is connecting flawlessly elsewhere then it is almost certainly an incompatibility between the phone and your router at home. It could be that an incorrect setting, a hardware or firmware fault or contention with a neighbour's equipment is preventing a connection.

You could try a factory reset on the router but, as I suspect, you are not comfortable doing so then your best option would be to contact Vodafone Customer Care. They should be able to see your settings, error logs and firmware version and be able to change settings, upgrade firmware or replace a faulty unit.

If the issue is a conflict with other equipment, Vodafone should also be able to configure the Wi-Fi channels that your router uses in order to avoid any interference.

Good luck!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
since the AUG 1 update it now wont unless I set a static IP / DNS.
Then something is wrong with the router - maybe you don't have any free DNS slots in the DNS server in the router?

either way no matter what I do it always stops at Intenet may not be avalable and its not joking - I really have no internet.
Wait - won't connect to the router, or doesn't get an internet connection from the router? Those are two totally different things.

Set statip IP and DNS correctlly - (Using both the default gateway IP and google DNS servers - and even mixed them up to see)
You should NEVER play with either one, unless you know exactly what you're doing. The static IP has to be in the range that your router can use, outside the DHCP range, and one not currently being used. The DNS address(es) has(ve) to be real ones. If you insist, try 8.8.8.8 - that's Google's DNS server, and it's up 100% of the time. (8.8.4.4 is the secondary, if your phone uses 2.)

DHCP is outright broken
DHCP being broken prevents you from connecting to the router, but it doesn't allow you to connect to the router and keep you from connecting to the internet (that's a router problem, not a phone problem).

"Cannot obtain IP address"
In WiFi, or in an app? (If he former, it's not getting an IP address from the router's DHCP server. If the latter, the DNS address (which is normally the gateway address, so you use whatever DNS server your provider provides) for the site you're trying to go to isn't being gotten from the DNS server.

Setting a static IP moves past cannot obtain IP address
Because it's not trying to get an IP address - whether it connects to the router or not, you still won't get that message, because the part of the code in which that message is located never runs.

but then gets stuck on "Internet may not be avalable" and gives me no internet as well when i try to load a page.
That's a limited connection - the router isn't connecting you to the internet.

Reset the phone to use a dynamic address (and you won't be asked for a DNS address). Connect to the router itself, and set its DNS addresses to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If that doesn't fix it, do a 30-30-30 reset on the router. Hold the reset button in (and don't let go of it until the end). Wait 30 seconds. Pull the power plug. Wait 30 seconds. Plug the power back in. Wait 30 seconds. NOW let go of the reset button.

You'll have to forget the connection in the phone, then it should show the router (with the original SSID, not one you set). And it should connect, and you should get an internet connection.

Now you have to change the SSID in the router, set a password for WiFi, forget the connection again and connect again.

Then every other internet device connected to it will have to be reset, unless you used the original SSID and password.

If that still doesn't fix it, reflash the ROM (see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN).

(Fixing a limited connection, when everything else is connecting to the internet, is one of the most difficult problems to solve, so don't feel bad that you haven't fixed it yet.)