What do you guys think of the build quality?

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Overall I think its pretty good, however, I notice if you press the phone to your ear somewhat hard, it will creak. If you press above the speaker grill it will slightly creak too. Its kind of annoying, but my Note 2 on T-Mobile does it also. I also would rather have capacitive buttons than a physical home button. The home button tends to make a "clicky" noise if you press the center, whereas pressing the sides result in no sounds.

I think the Note has better build quality than the GSIII though, but its still got ways to go. What do you guys have to say about build quality?

And for $700 one is to be very nitpicky about such things. :p

bgapfire

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
Overall I think its pretty good, however, I notice if you press the phone to your ear somewhat hard, it will creak. If you press above the speaker grill it will slightly creak too. Its kind of annoying, but my Note 2 on T-Mobile does it also. I also would rather have capacitive buttons than a physical home button. The home button tends to make a "clicky" noise if you press the center, whereas pressing the sides result in no sounds.

I think the Note has better build quality than the GSIII though, but its still got ways to go. What do you guys have to say about build quality?

And for $700 one is to be very nitpicky about such things. :p

$700 is a steep price to pay and you want the device to be perfect. I haven't had any build quality issues with this phone. Also, this is very subjective. I tend to say Samsung's build quality is fine, but the FEEL of the device is what people seem to dislike. I've owned several Samsung devices and have never had an issue with the BUILD.

MattMJB0188

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
$700 is a steep price to pay and you want the device to be perfect. I haven't had any build quality issues with this phone. Also, this is very subjective. I tend to say Samsung's build quality is fine, but the FEEL of the device is what people seem to dislike. I've owned several Samsung devices and have never had an issue with the BUILD.

Yeah. I guess build quality is fine. I'm just extremely picky haha. Anything made out of hard plastic will result in some creaking. I always just think my device is defective haha.

mxb54587

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. I guess build quality is fine. I'm just extremely picky haha. Anything made out of hard plastic will result in some creaking. I always just think my device is defective haha.
I actually really like the build, I'm not a fan of the plastic backing and would prefer if Samsung matched apples quality, but being able to access the battery is a trade off that I'll take any day

RogerRockit

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I jumped from an iPhone 4 to this beast. I was worried before receiving it, because so many reviews always said it felt to "plastic." Once I got it, snapped on the back cover, I had no idea what they were talking about. It is solid. No rattles & such as had been reported in reviews. Being able to access the battery & SD card are awesome features. And lets face it, if it had some kind of metal body, then there would be complaints of it being too heavy. Once I put this beast into a protective case (I am prone to dropping), it feels as solid as any phone I've ever had.

I did watch the silly youtube video of their "drop test" with the GN2 vs. a couple other phones/tablets. One thing that occurred to me is that having the plastic removable back actually acts as a shock absorber. Much like cars are built to crumple in certain areas to protect the riders inside, when this phone is dropped, much of the shock is absorbed by that back popping off. That could be hard on your battery (replaceable), but saves some cracks on the screen.

inspectagadget1973

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have no build quality issues. Mine does not creak, make noise, or click. It's solid as can be, especially when put into my case it feels nice in the hand and doesn't move under a tight grip.

I don't like the thinness of the back plastic piece. Wish it were a little thicker, just sayin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
It actually fell from my hoodie pocket a few days ago when I bent over to get something out of the dishwasher and landed face-down on the kitchen floor (wood). No scratches or nicks at all, much to my relief and amazement. Because CM hasn't come out with Pop! case yet and I don't even have a screen protector on it because I'm waiting on a Moshi one, my N2 is still naked...

EDIT: I do, however, have a problem when putting the back on. The top right-hand corner of the back has to be pressed extremely hard to latch into the phone properly. I'm too scared to do it myself and have to pass it off to my husband to do. Otherwise there is a small gap.

lynnpudas

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I think it is fine. I've had no problems with that. Someone in this thread said they thought it might help cushion and I'm inclined to agree. Not only that, taking of the back cover is easy peasy which is handy for changing out batteries imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

LazrRocketArm

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I think Roger is barking up the right tree. Pieces built with some give, i. e. plastic, help disperse energy from drops. Lower weight materials also make the phone lighter overall.

Do not have a Note II YET, but I have a Galaxy S3, Skyrocket, AND Galaxy S2.
Happy with all of them, and liking the newer designs even more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
Build quality is great for me. # is funny to me that people have issues with Samsung's build quality of their devices, and love HTC and Motorola. But I have never had an issue with any Samsung phone I have ever owned. But the HTC phones I have had suffered from light leakage, dust under the screen, and dead pixels. My Motorola phones have been creaky and also suffered from dead pixels on the screen. My Note 2 is perfect. No issues.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

VioletStarrs

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I love mine! I'm pretty much like a salesperson every time I take it out of my purse...everyone wants it when they see it. :D I have my giant, awesome phone in a Speck phone case and haven't heard any noises.

anon(123479)

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
No issues here either. The creaking sound may be the back cover. I can tollerate that. Just as long as it snaps all the way in. I also have a speck case for my Note 2 and my Note 1.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Build quality is great for me. # is funny to me that people have issues with Samsung's build quality of their devices, and love HTC and Motorola. But I have never had an issue with any Samsung phone I have ever owned. But the HTC phones I have had suffered from light leakage, dust under the screen, and dead pixels. My Motorola phones have been creaky and also suffered from dead pixels on the screen. My Note 2 is perfect. No issues.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

I think many use "build quality" and "build materials" interchangably and shouldn't.
Samsung phones have really good "build quality" but they don't use premium build materials.
The quality of design, construction, and assembly are excellent. Seams are tight and properly aligned, screens rarely have dead pixels, and phones last a long time.
The build materials of Samsung Flagship phones are not elite.
The iPhone uses solid glass and alluminum. The RAZR HD line uses alluminum, glass, and kevlar.
The DNA uses premium materials as well so it leaves the Samsung Flagship Galaxy S (and Note) line looking cheap.
I don't carry a naked phone because all phones with a 4" or greater screen are fragile and will break if they fall on a hard surface at the right angle. Therefore, build materials are not a huge factor for me in choosing a device. I loved the look and feel of the RAZR MAXX HD but what does it matter if I'm going to put it in a case anyway.
The "build quality" of the RAZR MAXX HD has been called into question by owners (misaligned seams, light leaks, etc) even with the high end materials.
The Galaxy Note 2 has high build quality and the plastic material won't really come into play under a nice case.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty