Default Keyboard Problems

usafsp

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am having problems with the default keyboard settings. I do not want to use the Samsung Keyboard at all, I want to use the SwiftKey 3 keyboard. In my Language and input settings, the Samsung Keyboard and Swype are dimmed so I cannot select them to disable. The only options I have to select to enable or disable are Google voice typing and SwiftKey 3. Every time my phone restarts, it defaults back to the Samsung keyboard even though the SwiftKey 3 was listed as default before the restart. Does anyone know of a fix to stop this from happening?

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it does that. But if you download SwiftKey Flow Beta, it will remain as default keyboard after reset. It has all the functions of Swiftkey 3 plus Flow.

usafsp

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
This was my review on Google Play and their response:
I love the keyboard and would rate it higher but for some reason, if I restart my phone, it does not stay as the default keyboard. Goes back to phones default keyboard. I am using Samsung Galaxy Note 2
SwiftKey replied on January 15, 2013

Hi Paul - we are in contact with Google Play regarding this issue as it relates to the location where Google Play installs paid apps on your phone - there are more details here Default keyboard reset on every restart or reboot (SwiftKey disappears when I turn my phone off)

usafsp

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
And this is the final answer from SwiftKey concerning the keyboard problem:
Hi everyone,
We are aware of the issue where your phone reverts to the stock keyboard on reboot and we appreciate that it is very annoying.
We are currently in contact with Google Play to see if there is anything that they can do to fix this.
The issue is that Google Play installs paid apps in a particular location on your phone and that in some versions of Android (particularly 4.1 on Samsung devices) this location is not available at the point in the boot process where keyboards are being switched on. So your phone does not know that you have SwiftKey, and it defaults back to the phone's keyboard.
We are unable to control where Google Play installs the app, and also unable to do anything about the way in which your phone boots up, so we are essentially powerless.
You can read more about the issue here Issue 34880 - android - Google Play installs app to /mnt/asec on JB, even though android:installLocation is set to "internalOnly" - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting - the issue is listed as "released", which means that it has been fixed in the code and the fixed version has been released, but we know that it can take months for a new version of Android to reach customers' phones, which is why we are trying to see if Google Play can do something about it in the shorter term.
Free apps will not be affected, and of course with most apps you just tap them to turn them on once your phone is already fully booted, so it is only with paid apps that offer services like keyboards or widgets that this problem is visible.
If you have not yet used SwiftKey Trial you can download it here https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...touchtype.swiftkey.phone.trial&token=2mjEtK8J - it will work for a month, and hopefully by the time that month is over the issue will be resolved. (you can only use SwiftKey Trial one time on each phone - if your phone has tried SwiftKey Trial before then the trial will show up as "expired" immediately and will not work - sorry).
Again, we appreciate that this is not ideal, but we are doing the best that we can to get SwiftKey working for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non