Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Things you'll need:
Drivers (click me) install through Kies
Odin (click me)
codeworkx CWM recovery (click me)
SuperOneClick (click me)

Install the drivers using Kies. Yes Kies sucks, but what can you do.

Turn your phone off
Boot into download mode (volume down + power)
Accept warning by pressing volume up
Start Odin
Use the PDA entry in Odin, choose the recovery you downloaded above
Connect your phone to your computer
Press the start button in Odin

When finished, use SuperOneClick to root the device. You now have Clockwork recovery, and a rooted, stock ROM.

Thanks and credit to the original authors of the tools -- follow the links

gaveup

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok. this is my first root experience.

Just finished. Pretty easy.

LOL still not really sure about what I can do now that I am rooted, but it will require more research.

I am getting the little yellow triangle on start up that it seems a bunch of others are getting. From what I have read, it doesn't matter much. I hope that's the case. At any rate, I just ordered the USB jig tool on ebay.

Last edited:

frankos72

Jun 20, 2010
www.pigstands.com
Well now... that didn't take long. Kinda wish I hadn't spent much time setting up my homescreens. I knew I would root when it was available, but many 2 days after release.... NICE :).

So, I've never actually rooted android before. I'm not to worried about doing it, but rather what I am interested in is CM7. Once I perform the root, how do I put on CM7? Also, has anyone else done it? I'm mainly looking for better battery life, cause so far there really is nothing about this phone that screams root me. But I understand that going to CM7 I can get a lot longer battery life. Is that true?

And since the phone seems to be working okay... should I jsut wait for an ICS rom since it's likely just around the corner?

matusov

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
Once you root the phone download "Rom Manager" from the Market. Through there you should be able to download and install CM7.

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Make sure "USB Debugging" is turned on in your phone, otherwise SuperOneClick will not continue past, "Waiting for phone":
Settings --> Applications --> Development

Also, after Odin is complete, it will reboot your phone.

Now, I am waiting on, "Rooting device... -Step #6". I don't think this worked...
I might retry SOC...
EDIT: Seems that a quick removal and re-insert of the USB cable when it gets to the "stuck point" on step #6 allows it to continue and root.

Last edited:
Reactions: ObiGeorge

Mr.Gadget

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok, loaded ROM Manager from the Market.
It showed no recovery on my phone so I had it install v5.0.2.3 (Samsung Galaxy S2) which it said it successfully did and prompted me to allow SU, which I did.
I attempted to "Backup current ROM" and that is where the trouble started.
I am at the CWM based Recovery screen with options to reboot system, wipe, etc... but each and every option I choose to use responds with an little Android dude and an exclamation point.

There is text that reads: CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.3
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Pulled battery and restarted.
Now doing the system backup...
Hum.... Not comfortable at this point. I have successfully rooted every Android I've had and this one is problematic.... So far....

EDIT: Seems to have booted back to my phone OK. Suggestions on where I am off?? Now my recovery shows 4.5.0.1 in ROM Manager

Last edited:
Reactions: woodmanone

anon(455573)

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, loaded ROM Manager from the Market.
It showed no recovery on my phone so I had it install v5.0.2.3 (Samsung Galaxy S2) which it said it successfully did and prompted me to allow SU, which I did.
I attempted to "Backup current ROM" and that is where the trouble started.
I am at the CWM based Recovery screen with options to reboot system, wipe, etc... but each and every option I choose to use responds with an little Android dude and an exclamation point.

There is text that reads: CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.3
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
E:failed to verify whole-file signature
E:signature verification failed
Installation aborted.

Pulled battery and restarted.
Now doing the system backup...
Hum.... Not comfortable at this point. I have successfully rooted every Android I've had and this one is problematic.... So far....

EDIT: Seems to have booted back to my phone OK. Suggestions on where I am off?? Now my recovery shows 4.5.0.1 in ROM Manager

Never tried backing up a stock ROM I doubt it's possible

Sent From My AT&T SGS2

shansmi

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
So forgive my ignorance here but how does one roll back to a secure kernel outside of running the stock odin app to reflash the device back to stock 100%? Is there a way I am missing to backup the secure kernel before we start the root process?

msnyder

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

riekls

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
So I rooted but I think I used the wrong tar file i might have used the one for the international version. My search button no longer works at all, in any application. Is there a way to fix this without loosing my root access?

bake

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't use Rom manager! From what I've read/been told it has been causing problems on our phones. If you need CWM you need to flash that kernel in the OP. If you just want root use the other link.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty