S III Battery life...

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I get LTE in Atlanta and Kennesaw. Seems to work very well...

I havent been able to test the LTE at all. I bought my phone at BB Mobile in Town Center on Tuesday and drove to Big Canoe which is about 55 miles North. We dont even have 3G up here.... EDGE only. I was at a BBQ last night and someone who is a full time resident here in Big Canoe said ATT is building a new tower (I saw it on my way in) and I saw the fiber interduct being trenched along Steve Tate Hwy in the vicinity of the tower. I wonder if that means we might have 3G or LTE up here soon. Ill be back at my home in Marietta tomorrow and curious to see if I can get a LTE signal there.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
According to this...

ltecoverage.png

...you should be fine for Marietta. As for Big Canoe, that's near Jasper, right? According to the AT&T website, it should already support LTE. Maybe just a few areas there don't, yet.

I havent been able to test the LTE at all. I bought my phone at BB Mobile in Town Center on Tuesday and drove to Big Canoe which is about 55 miles North. We dont even have 3G up here.... EDGE only. I was at a BBQ last night and someone who is a full time resident here in Big Canoe said ATT is building a new tower (I saw it on my way in) and I saw the fiber interduct being trenched along Steve Tate Hwy in the vicinity of the tower. I wonder if that means we might have 3G or LTE up here soon. Ill be back at my home in Marietta tomorrow and curious to see if I can get a LTE signal there.

CarlGalgano

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well, thats just it, i dont believe any carriers coverage maps. Big Canoe is roughly half way between Jasper and Dawsonville, North of GA Hwy53. There has never been any coverage here besides EDGE and when I first bought my house here in 04 there was NO cell coverage from any carrier. I have wifi at my house, so its fine.

As for the marietta coverage, I hope that map is correct. I have brought it up many times. If you filter it by 3G data and zoom in just the south of Kennesaw Mtn, there is a donut hole in coverage and that is exactly where I live, in the hole. Only a microcell provides consistant, usable service.

jmaddox31

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm constantly seeing a drain. Usually the Exchange Services runs constantly and I have no accounts. I turned off the battery percentage # option so I don't worry over the numbers. I also turned off the S Voice wake option. At any given time I have 42-50 applications running and killed by the built in task killer. I've done drain cycles a few times but it seems about the same. Can anyone give me some options to improve the batt life or calibrate it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
To me, it seems rather odd. I'd suggest that you reset the device to factory, and start over. Then see how it acts...

I'm constantly seeing a drain. Usually the Exchange Services runs constantly and I have no accounts. I turned off the battery percentage # option so I don't worry over the numbers. I also turned off the S Voice wake option. At any given time I have 42-50 applications running and killed by the built in task killer. I've done drain cycles a few times but it seems about the same. Can anyone give me some options to improve the batt life or calibrate it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I think a BIG battery saver for me is, I DON'T have ANY notifications set for Social Media. Hence I only check Social Media (Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) when I want to, versus constantly opening the notification bar\apps to check a notification...

What tricks do you use?

ZacD22

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
OK let me know what y'all think last night when I went yo bed I had 68% battery so I did not put on the charger woke up 5 hours later and phone was dead how in the world did my phone drop 68% in 5 hours with out touching it I don't understand ?

Guy4Tech

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I know a big battery drainer is how often my phone syncs and having my GPS turned on. If I'm not charging it at night, I'll turn off 4G (or data all together since I'm on Wi-Fi), GPS and Sync. This tends to help tremendously.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZacD22

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I know a big battery drainer is how often my phone syncs and having my GPS turned on. If I'm not charging it at night, I'll turn off 4G (or data all together since I'm on Wi-Fi), GPS and Sync. This tends to help tremendously.

Mike @ Guy4Tech.com

I do have GPS turned off but not sync but still 68% drop with out touching it

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
...something similar happened to me last week. I was a bit nervous about it.
To be honest, it might have been an app running in the background. So, typically before I go to bed, I kill everything in the Task Manager (hold the home button for a few seconds).

It hasn't died on me during the night since.

OK let me know what y'all think last night when I went yo bed I had 68% battery so I did not put on the charger woke up 5 hours later and phone was dead how in the world did my phone drop 68% in 5 hours with out touching it I don't understand ?

ZacD22

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, it might have been an app running in the background. So, typically before I go to bed, I kill everything in the Task Manager (hold the home button for a few seconds).

I'm going to test it again tonight and kill everything and see if it does it again if it does I'm going to take it back

PrincessKick

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to test it again tonight and kill everything and see if it does it again if it does I'm going to take it back

My One X has been doing the same thing. I thought I found the offending app as it was fine two nights ago and then last night the OS stayed awake again. I've been thinking about checking out the S III which is why I'm reading this forum. I've used Android phones and an iPhone 4. While there are a ton of things I don't like about the iPhone, I've not had to worry about apps killing the battery. I really want to go back to an Android phone though.

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site

And here we have the double-edged sword of the awesome RAM and multitasking. This is one reason I love my back button, it closes apps as opposed to a Home button leaving the app running in the background.

Some people think it's being lazy to use a Back button but it's all perspective... I see the Home button as being the 'lazy' way. No flaming please.. again, all a matter of personal use and perspective.

The beauty of Android. :)

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Wait, let me make sure I read correctly...

If I use the back button, it in essence closes the app?
If I press the home button, it in essence leaves the app running in the back ground, but takes me to my home screen?

Interesting...

And here we have the double-edged sword of the awesome RAM and multitasking. This is one reason I love my back button, it closes apps as opposed to a Home button leaving the app running in the background.

Some people think it's being lazy to use a Back button but it's all perspective... I see the Home button as being the 'lazy' way. No flaming please.. again, all a matter of personal use and perspective.

The beauty of Android. :)

soulsmilen

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait, let me make sure I read correctly...

If I use the back button, it in essence closes the app?
If I press the home button, it in essence leaves the app running in the back ground, but takes me to my home screen?

Interesting...

That's how it works on my OG Evo and it seemed to be the same on the S3 I played with at AT&T and Sprint, but I obviously don't have the hands-on exp like owners of the S3, so feedback would be nice.

See how it works and let us know! : )

Denise
One day I'll choose something new!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non