Captivate vs. GSIII

soli2005

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone! I'm sure there are plenty of Captivate users who are going to finish up their contracts soon and thought I should post some pics of the Captivate and GSIII together. I have an upgrade coming soon and want to get the GSIII soon. My friend at work got his a few days ago and I couldn't put his phone down. The only thing that takes getting used to is the bigger size of the phone. I found it difficult to hold with one hand at first especially when using the menu, home, and back keys.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone! I'm sure there are plenty of Captivate users who are going to finish up their contracts soon and thought I should post some pics of the Captivate and GSIII together. I have an upgrade coming soon and want to get the GSIII soon. My friend at work got his a few days ago and I couldn't put his phone down. The only thing that takes getting used to is the bigger size of the phone. I found it difficult to hold with one hand at first especially when using the menu, home, and back keys.

I can't believe you kept that captivate for 2 years, kudos to your patience. I had one for a few weeks before the Atrix came out and sent that phone on its way. I never could get that GPS to work at all. The only thing that the SGSIII has in common with the Captivate is the name Samsung Galaxy...I came from a Galaxy Note (which I still have) so the SGSIII seems about the right size.

Wakefulpanda

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm still rockin my captivate. I'm one of the few that loves touchwiz and the functionality of it. My captivate has held up strong for about 2 years now which tells you lot about the quality of samsung products.

soli2005

May 13, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe you kept that captivate for 2 years, kudos to your patience. I had one for a few weeks before the Atrix came out and sent that phone on its way. I never could get that GPS to work at all. The only thing that the SGSIII has in common with the Captivate is the name Samsung Galaxy...I came from a Galaxy Note (which I still have) so the SGSIII seems about the right size.

I originally had a Blackberry Torch 9800 for a few weeks and it was a piece of crap. I had my Captivate since January of last year so it's been a year and a half. The GPS issue was resolved with the Froyo update.

soli2005

May 13, 2012
Visit site
What OS is the Captivate running Gingerbread?

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S III Handheld Device

I got it via Kies. My phone runs smoother with less lag but a force close tethering message pops up occasionally. I've also noticed it closes out of my messages while I'm texting. I'm not keen on resetting and am anxiously waiting for July 10 so I can upgrade to the GSIII.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I originally had a Blackberry Torch 9800 for a few weeks and it was a piece of crap. I had my Captivate since January of last year so it's been a year and a half. The GPS issue was resolved with the Froyo update.

I think I got it around that same time? Hard to remember with my addiction of getting new phones! Seems like so long ago! The Atrix came out in Feb or Mar and that is when I switched. I remember rooting and unlocking it and putting wireless tether on it! Also Launcher pro etc! I have not rooted a phone since then. Since my Galaxy Note I have used stock touch wiz.

You WILL love the SGSIII! It is what they mean when they say smooth and fluid OS!

Bonzo62

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I though the Captivate was ahead of its time. This is the one that got the whole Galaxy thing going remember. I had mine almost two years and had not one issue with it , no complaints. I got my S3 two days ago and will now unlock my Captivate and sell it on Craig's list , which should be enough to get my money back on my S3 , since I only played $100 for it. R.I.P captivate , you've Been good to me lol

Last edited:

daydesign

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I got my Captivate 2 years ago this month. The Captivate was my first Android phone and will be fondly remembered in its retirement. Looking forward to getting my GS3. I didn't pre-order so when it hits the stores in Indiana I will be there.

recca

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm keeping my Cappy with AOKP as a backup phone. It's actually still a reliable phone with a lot of features. Just a little slower than the most recent high end phones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I always thought the Captivate had one of the most beautiful designs of any phone on the market. I just loved the look of it with the angles of the top and bottom and the 4 inch screen size was "just right" (at that time, anyway). I also liked the puzzle-piece on the lock screen for missed calls and messages. That was cool. Mine was handed down to my daughter and now she complains daily of it freezing up, closing apps, etc on her. I keep telling her to stop bogging it down with so many crappy apps and to use her iTouch for apps and just use her phone for talking and texting and maybe some Facebook. Of course, since she is a teenager, she can't listen. LOL! I know she is hoping I won't like my SGS3 so I give it to her and go back to my iPhone!

yogirl#AC

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I got my Captivate 2 years ago this month. The Captivate was my first Android phone and will be fondly remembered in its retirement. Looking forward to getting my GS3. I didn't pre-order so when it hits the stores in Indiana I will be there.

My exact sentiments. Getting my S3 tomorrow hopefully after 2 years of faithful, albeit frustrating, service from my Captivate. My Captivate started rebooting itself a few times a day lately, so it is time to retire.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe the Capivate (AT&T), Epic 4G (Sprint) and Fascinate (Verizon) were all variants of the Galaxy 1 line. I have also just retired my trusty Epic 4G for the SGS3. It was my first smartphone AND android experience! I rooted it with CM9 (ICS) and it was running BETTER than it EVER ran stock. Don't know if they have a CM9 rom for the Captivate or Fascinate but if they do, you guys have NO IDEA what you're missing! I'm holding on to my Epic as a reliable backup! :)

GQ50

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a Captivate from day one. Its been a love hate relationship being that it is my first android phone coming from a blckberrys. Its been a rough road with GPS issues, auto shuts offs...might get the SGSIII or just wait to see if the GNote2 lives up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch