Potential Switch from Iphone 4S to S3?

anon(415336)

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
If you have a 3gs now, perhaps you should wait unitl the next iPhone is revealed to make the most informed decision.
I had a galaxy s3 and I returned it. After 2 exchanges and still the same heat issue (especially when compared to a OneX AND a Galaxy Nexus) I'm convinced that the gs3 was a flop and I sincerely hope that the GalaxyNote 2 is amazing. 5.5 inch screen? That sorta sucks, but as long as it has a Super AMOLED PLUS screen, the ceramic casing from the reg Note and the same Touchwiz Nature UX features (like Direct Call), then sure...but we don't even know the details for it.

The S3 and most smartphones worth your time use the SAME micro-SIM. They are all LTE enabled micro-SIM cards. However, if your phone does not have LTE Radios, then you will simply pick up HSPA+.

TL;DR: Don't get a S3. If you like the iPhone, stick with it. Wait until the next one comes out...it's supposed to be amazing! If you HAVE to get an android phone...get a OneX and root it. I know I know, 16 gb storage is it? I have a 4s with 64gb...with apps, music and a few movies. I'm not even at 13gb yet. Most people don't have that much crap. I doubt you need more than 16gb (the option would have been nice but...)...and if not, you have Dropbox.

Stick with the iPhone, wait until the new one.

MacBook

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones and swap micro sim daily.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

Well if you say it works then I guess thats what it is then... I was given a new sim card when I traded in my 4s so I assumed they weren't compatible with the GS3.. I was wrong apparently.

vietalogy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Well if you say it works then I guess thats what it is then... I was given a new sim card when I traded in my 4s so I assumed they weren't compatible with the GS3.. I was wrong apparently.

They will always give you a new sim card when you upgrade a line or a new activation. Micro sim is standard now on newer smart phones.

Via Tapatalk iPhone 4S

XChrisX

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I believe that you have it reversed. The GS3 takes the micro SIM.

They both use micro sim but more than likely AT&T will issue you a new sin like they did for me. All of my numbers ported over fine without a hitch so no complaints there. Apple however has proposed a new nano sim idea which is even smaller than the micro sim so perhaps the new iPhone will have that in place of the micro sim.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

BelindaR

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
- Should I keep my iPhone or sell it (e.g. eBay, Craigslist) to put towards the S3 price?

I'd always recommend selling an old phone if you're needing the money or just don't want it lying around. Yeah it's great to have a backup, just in case, but the longer you wait to sell a device the more it depreciates in value.

Before I bought my Skyrocket I had a white Torch 9810 and sold it for $180 when I got the Skyrocket. I bought the SIII at full price (my husband uses the upgrades on our plans, so I never have one available) and sold my white Skyrocket for $300. I've not needed a backup thus far.

You did mention the you have the Unlimited Data Plan. You might want to think about that before you do an Early Termination. I see a lot of people groaning about how they have to monitor their data usage because they don't have an unlimited plan. But if you don't use a lot of data...then I suppose it wouldn't hurt to pay ET fees and then the lower price of getting a new phone on contract.

Zaisaroni

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Did you ever consider the Galaxy Nexus from the Play store? I have a GS3 with AOKP on it and love it, but the Nexus at $350 is a steal! Off contract its a little hard to justify the expense of the GS3 over it.

Selling private party will net you the most money. If you can afford it, keep it until you know you want the GNex.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I did the exact same thing. I have been an Apple girl since the iPhone 3G, iPod classic, and my MacBook Pro. I too seen IOS 6 preview and wasn't impressed. I have Best Buy reward zone and I pretty much almost all my electronics from Best Buy, went in and had them look my iPhone 4S up to see the trade in value and right then I pre ordered my SGIII. Since I made the switch I haven't nothing but smiles. Only thing I don't like is the syncing. I miss iTunes. :( Kies is okay, but Im not sure if i wanna go playing for all these apps to sync my music. I'm new to android so I'm doing my research first. I lived in the Apple store. If it wasn't my battery it was my phone freezing or another issue. Till they just flat out said that the battery on the iPhone 4S is not as good as the iPhone 4. My iPhone never last me 8 hours, my SGIII.... I get at minimum 12 hours before recharging. I do miss the simple things on the iPhone likes folders, deleting apps, and a few other things that apple made very simple. Android takes some getting used to. But in my opinion.... The switch was a major plus.

Download double twist u can sync all of your itunes music on your sgs3

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

mowbr4

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever consider the Galaxy Nexus from the Play store? I have a GS3 with AOKP on it and love it, but the Nexus at $350 is a steal! Off contract its a little hard to justify the expense of the GS3 over it.

Selling private party will net you the most money. If you can afford it, keep it until you know you want the GNex.

This actually may be my best option and still give me the comfort of keeping my iPhone for 1 or 2
Months to decide if I like the switch. What do you all think?

xartic1

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Incorrect. Went from an iPhone 4 to a One X and didn't get a new sim card. A micro sim card from ATT will work in any other ATT phone with the corresponding sim tray.

Sent from my HTC One X

mlett

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

That is what I was thinking too. I plan on getting SIII in a couple weeks since my upgrade will be available. But if I wanted an Android phone off contract, it would be a no brainer to get the GNex for $350. Looks like a great phone and with 4.1 Jelly Bean already on it. GNex on Play Store

mowbr4

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The $350 price is looking great for an unlocked phone. I have AT&T and my area provides 4G LTE. Will the galaxy nexus be capable of doing that?

dmmattix

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The $350 price is looking great for an unlocked phone. I have AT&T and my area provides 4G LTE. Will the galaxy nexus be capable of doing that?

There are four potential problems with the Nexus

1. Not LTE (no LTE in my locale but am hoping)
2. 5 megapixel camera without much in the area of software to help it
3. No additional storage what it comes with is what you have
4. The display is not as high of resolution so videos could be an issue depending on what you watch. The screen on the S3 is very nice.

So it depends on how much these matter to you. I had a Nexus in my cart and was just about ready to check out when I decided against it. That and Jelly Bean being predicted for the SII in 3Qtr...

Mike

AllPhoneNews

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I would honestly wait until the iPhone 5 comes out or Windows Phone 8. I got the S3 and I am honestly just not an Android fan, but maybe you might be. I would test it in stores first.

Jon_Cox

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered a Pebble Blue GS3 and used my upgrade. I've been a routine switcher for the last few years. I had a 4S, kept it and tried a HOX. I liked the HOX, but had serious wifi issues, rebooted too often (even after a factory reset) and just got tired of dealing with it so I took it back. I like both ecosystems, though while Android teethed, I chose to stick with the safe zone in iOS. I realized that I needed to stick with one OS once I was able to get the Beta3 of iOS6. Just too similar. Smooth, yes, but too similar and constricted.

My S3 is on the way and I am looking forward to getting it. I didn't like the jump down from the 4.7" display on the HOX to the 3.5" display on the iPhone. Its just too small, especially given the increase of entertainment options available on mobile devices so it'll be nice to have a big pretty display back in my hands.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch