HD Video resolution?

SloProjeklt

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
So I want to maximize the potential of this screen and am thinking of loading up some HD movies to check out how they look. I know that this is a 720p screen, so is that the best format the S3 supports? The correct resolution is 1280 px long and 720 px wide, yes? So if I download a video in 720 p format, will it take up the whole screen?

I bet Avatar would look amazing on this thing!

Rev2010

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Yes, 1280x720 is the resolution you would shoot for. However, keep in mind most movies are shot in 2.4:1, 2.35:1, or 2.20:1 with a lot less being shot in 1:85:1 - which would take up almost all your phone's screen and only have very thin unnoticeable black bars on the top and bottom. Cast Away for example is 1:85:1 and so is Back to the Future. The other films that are shot in wider format will still display black bars at the top and bottom unless you were to crop them yourself in your encoding software, though that would cut off the edges of the scenes where it might be important at a specific point in the film. Examples of films with the wider format are Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.

Rev.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Like Rev said - most movies are too wide to fit screens without the black bars on the top and bottom. If you wanted them to take up the entire space of your screen you'd have to either stretch/distort or crop where you'd lose some of the picture on the sides.

There are movies that are in full HD resolution though...and some that alternate. A good example is The Dark Knight (not the new one (yet)). Some of the action scenes actually take up the entire screen but most of the movie has the bars on the top and bottom.

Anyways, you want to download in 720p format as that will be the maximum quality the screen can show. Anything in lower format would lose quality when stretched to the higher resolution of the S III's screen. If you were to download 1080p it would be great quality as well but it would be a larger file/resolution than necessary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87