Now that I've upgraded to JB: Two questions

Los says swag

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
1. Is it recommended/necessary that I do a factory reset to optimize performance? If so, what are some good backup tools (that don't require root)?

2. Should I still run with Nova launcher now that it's been updated to run off JB or should I move on to Holo HD?

gonzo0203

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Well when I did the upgrade from GB to ICS on Galaxy S2, I didnt go reset and it had little issues here and there. I had to do factory reset via ATT rep before I could send for replacement. It worked great after. So general consensus is, yes do a factory wipe/reset. Makes things easier minus headache of reloading thing. Saturday I did the ICS to JB on my S3, and did factory reset after the update. No issues at all. Two I'm using NOVA on JB, and it works perfect.

jjthenovice

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. In theory you shouldn't have to do a factory reset. But it doesn't hurt to do one (other than having to restore data and other stuff). Problems can arise because the programs that you've installed may need to be re-installed to have them work properly. A factory reset takes care of all that. My phone has worked much better since the factory reset. It is a PITA but in the long run I think it's a wise decision.

efn77mx

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
When I first installed JB on my phone, I had no intention to do a factory reset, as everything seemed to be running fine. But I quickly noticed that even though I hadn't made any changes, battery life had taken a serious hit. So last week I did a factory reset and downloaded all the apps I had installed originally. Needless to say, battery life is now back to what it was when I had ICS installed.

sean8102

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
My experience has been great and I upgraded to JB the day it came out. I haven't had any issues so I haven't bothered with a reset. If you do have any issues I would go ahead and do a reset now so there is less work to do to get things back how you like them.

As for nova launcher if you like it alot, and its working how you want then I would stick with it. Personally I just started using Apex Launcher a few days ago and love it, but that's the best thing about android to me, the amount of choice you have :)

D16RR

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
True, but I've been seeing a number of people say that they preemptively do it each update so that it's running the new OS fresh, rather than an expansion on top of the old one. Was wondering if there's any truth to that.

Any time you load an OS there is a risk of failure. Unless there is a specific issue you are addressing, I would leave well enough alone. In my case I would need to contact the vendors for my mission critical apps to reload them and few other fun things. Thus my bias.

jontalk

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I would agree with everyone else here. And I'm a newbie Android user (5 mos) and I like the JB update very much. The only issue I've found is the home button is slower to respond. Outside of that, everything works great, love Google Now, the cool folder animations and other new features.. Am not going to do a factory reset just for the home button thing though.. At least it doesn't seem logical when everything else works fine :) Happy Festivus everyone!

jjthenovice

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with everyone else here. And I'm a newbie Android user (5 mos) and I like the JB update very much. The only issue I've found is the home button is slower to respond. Outside of that, everything works great, love Google Now, the cool folder animations and other new features.. Am not going to do a factory reset just for the home button thing though.. At least it doesn't seem logical when everything else works fine :) Happy Festivus everyone!
I believe if you goto S Voice and under settings uncheck "Open Via the Home Key", that will solve your problem.

Shanicenicolle

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
My phone began to lock up after about 2 weeks with JB did a full restore to unroot and it helped. But if you aren't having any problems I'd just stick with what you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums