Bluetooth Talking Caller ID for S3

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on a Bluetooth earpiece (Plantronics Voyager Pro HD) 97% of the day. For me, it is very annoying to have to remove my phone from my pocket to see who is calling. I would love to hear the name of the contact instead which would put me in a mostly hands free situation and increase safety when driving. I've tried most of the "talking caller id" apps in the Play Store but I have not found a single one that works over Bluetooth on Jellybean. Enhanced Caller ID+ and Talking Caller ID+ work very well... IF Bluetooth functionality is not needed.

Anyone know of a better app?

Last edited:

tplace 1976

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I know you probably don't want to hear someone say "try a new headset" but... Try a new headset. Jawbone has a "companion app" that in conjunction with the functionality of the earpiece allows you to hear the phone number of the person that's calling you.

tplace 1976

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Plantronics Vocalyst app may be something you could use though as well. Not familiar with it, but it may be a similar feature set to the jawbone one.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I know you probably don't want to hear someone say "try a new headset" but... Try a new headset. Jawbone has a "companion app" that in conjunction with the functionality of the earpiece allows you to hear the phone number of the person that's calling you.

You're right... I'm in love with the fit and call quality of my VPro. Talking caller id is the only thing missing. Plus, I would need to hear the contact's name and not just the phone number.

The Plantronics Vocalyst app may be something you could use though as well. Not familiar with it, but it may be a similar feature set to the jawbone one.

The Vocalyst app doesn't seem to have any of this functionality plus it has terrible reviews in the Playstore.

sensiericki

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jswinde, I've been pulling my hair out over this problem for over 6 months and still can't get it working. I too use a bluetooth headset most of the day. I've tried all the caller ID apps without any success. I have a Jabra wave and after speaking with the tech guys at Jabra they say it has something to do with the fact that the phones now do not support PBAB. (something to do with phone book protocol?!?!)
I'm still using, for my daily job, my Nokia N8 and this works fine for me, as all my previous phones have with older bluetooth headsets for the last 8 years, but I want to use my S3.
Can anyone get this working....

Last edited:

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jswinde, I've been pulling my hair out over this problem for over 6 months and still can't get it working. I too use a bluetooth headset most of the day. I've tried all the caller ID apps without any success. I have a Jabra wave and after speaking with the tech guys at Jabra they say it has something to do with the fact that the phones now do not support PBAB. (something to do with phone book protocol?!?!)
I'm still using, for my daily job, my Nokia N8 and this works fine for me, as all my previous phones have with older bluetooth headsets for the last 8 years, but I want to use my S3.
Can anyone get this working....

I am using a Blueant Q2 headset and right after I first paired it the phone book was downloaded to the headset and when one of my contacts calls it says I have a call from "contact name". This also works with Q3 and I believe T1 from Blueant. Make sure your Contact Sharing setting is set to Send All Contacts At Once or it will time out during the download.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

kkbc

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I used Caller Name Announcer and Mono bluetooth router.
Plus, turn on Hands Free mode on Note III.
Not sure about S3.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I used Caller Name Announcer and Mono bluetooth router.
Plus, turn on Hands Free mode on Note III.
Not sure about S3.

Thanks for your response. I just checked the Play Store and discovered there are now about 20+ apps named "Caller Name Announcer". Please post the link to the one you are using successfully. Thank you!

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Are you hearing custom ringtones thru BT? If you just have a few callers you care about you might create a custom tone "ring ring call from Susie" for each person. I've done that for a few SMS users. If 4.3 or Knox has blocked phone book queries a lot of car HF systems are going to stop working too.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Are you hearing custom ringtones thru BT? If you just have a few callers you care about you might create a custom tone "ring ring call from Susie" for each person. I've done that for a few SMS users. If 4.3 or Knox has blocked phone book queries a lot of car HF systems are going to stop working too.

Thank you for this suggestion but since I run my business through my cell phone, there are too many clients for which I'd have to create a custom ringtone. Currently, I'm still running Android 4.1.2.

l88n

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site
I tried quite an amount of these apps including the aforementioned and found one that works for me: Enhanced SMS & Caller ID+
The dev has a swell 7-day Money-Back Guarantee so I decided to give it a try. It worked for both SMS and caller ID announcer on my Jabra 3030 bluetooth A2DP headset.
(Note: I don't have any affiliation with the dev but was so frustrated spending so much time testing one app after another, day after day, wishing that someone would point out something that works over A2DP).

Hope this helps.

sjamie

Grand Tech
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
After spending countless hours researching the problem and seeking a solution, I've finally found it! It all comes down to the way each manufacturer handles Bluetooth and surprisingly, they all handle it differently.

Two headsets that have talking caller ID working perfectly without needing any 3rd party apps are the Plantronics Voyager Edge and the Plantronics Voyager Legend. I purchased and tested both headsets successfully but returned the Edge due to less than satisfactory sound quality on phone calls. I'm extremely pleased with the Voyager Legend (same style and fit as my beloved Voyager Pro) and I'm even more thrilled that my research on getting talking caller ID to work over Bluetooth on my S3 is officially OVER!!! :)

Last edited:

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I currently have a Plantronics Voyager (not the Pro or the Legend models) that I purchased after reading numerous reviews stating the noise cancellation was superior. I do not find this to be the case because when I'm using it in my car the other party can always hear road noise. For that reason I will not purchase the Plantronics Legend. Another thing I don't like about my Voyager is how it fits my ear, it's very comfortable but I always generate sweat on the earpiece where it contacts my head. I would like the caller ID feature so I am considering the Blue Ant Q3 which has that feature. Has anyone used one? What is your opinion of the noise cancellation and how well do the caller ID/voice commands features work?

eOx

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes, the Voyager Legend works, but it will drain your battery. It keeps a connection to your phone continuously to be able to retrieve the phone book entry when a call arrives. Keeps the phone from going to deep sleep.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87