att galaxy s3 warranty question

afobisme

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
so my USB port is faulty.. i called ATT to fix the issue. they want me to send the phone in for repair, with battery and charger..

problem is, i don't have the original chargers.. but i do have one for the galaxy s2 skyrocket. do you guys think there would be an issue if i sent that one in, or should i just buy the original S3 charger to send in? would they give me any problems?

GTWalling

May 18, 2011
Visit site
They may think the charger is the problem which is also still in warranty. Have you tried different chargers to make sure it is the port on the Phone? If you let them know you are not using the Original charger they may also think that could be a problem. Rep's at the Carrier are not the brightest.

afobisme

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
yeah, i've tried multiple chargers.. and i'm quite certain it's the USB port, since when i move the cable, it loses charge.

i'm currently using the GS2 adapter, which is 1.0A.

i was thinking about buying an OEM charger. the ones i see available look like the one that come with the GS3, but they were OEMs used for previosu models that are .7A ... samsung would probably find out by just looking at the .7A rating, so i don't even know if that's a good idea (to buy one and send it in).

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
yeah, i've tried multiple chargers.. and i'm quite certain it's the USB port, since when i move the cable, it loses charge.

i'm currently using the GS2 adapter, which is 1.0A.

i was thinking about buying an OEM charger. the ones i see available look like the one that come with the GS3, but they were OEMs used for previosu models that are .7A ... samsung would probably find out by just looking at the .7A rating, so i don't even know if that's a good idea (to buy one and send it in).

Call them back and just notify them that you lost your charger or that your dog chewed it up so you've been using a S2 model but assure them you've borrowed or used a partners s3 charger with issue still present. I'm sure they will understand.

----------------------------

If I helped please sign up for copy (free cloud storage) using my referral link. I'll ♥ u forever =)

Last edited by a moderator:

afobisme

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
yeah good idea.. i think i'm just going to tell them this: i lost the charger a few months back and since have been using my roommates charger or the computer to charge the phone... so i can't send his "charger" in along with the phone. i can provide the cable, since they look to be about the same.

HawkinIowa

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
My daughters Galaxy S3 for Boost mobile has the same issue with the charge port. She bought it new at Radio Shack 6/22/13, she contacted Samsung and sent it in. A week later it comes back Samsung says the phone is "BEYOND REPAIR", futher stating it is "GROSS ELECTROMECH DAMAGE-ABUSE"!. Before sending it in it would charge on & off, now it doesn't charge at all.
I called Samsung-several times, they stated the charger port is seperated from the motherboard and she caused this to happen-apprently by using it! Samsung says the warranty covers repair only, and only if the repair is less than the value of the phone, in other words they will/do not back their cell phones.

We went back to Radio Shack, they gave a good effort to get Samsung to step up and replace the phone, the manager at RS confirmed to Samsung the phone is like new, never been wet/dropped/abused, but still nothing. He gave us a contact at Rs regional office to see if there is anything they can do, I'll contact them next Monday.Everyone we've spoken to says she should have bought the insurance, this is BS. Samsung needs to step up and back their products, especially when I read this is an issue with this model.