Considering HTC Inspire 4G - have some questions

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
I am about to switch from my T-Mobile G1 phone/service to a 4.3 inch HTC Android phone.

There is a lot of talk about the Thunderbolt, EVO4, Inspire 4G and even rumors about a HTC Pyramid. My head is spinning...

My needs are simple but important to me; I am an avid Google user and must have a phone (and carrier) that?s fully compliant with Google products and services.
In the recent past AT&T was not known as an Android fan...

So my questions are:

1. Would I be able to use Google Voice on the Inspire 4G (like I can on my G1)?

2. Does AT&T interfere with Google Navigation?

3. Any known AT&T restrictions/interference with Google products or functionality?

4. How about Skype?

5. Does the Inspire 4G have any important advantages/disadvantages in comparison to the Thunderbolt? (Other than 3G/4G). Are the CPUs the same?

6. My wife and I travel often. Would AT&T unlock the phone?

Any other important questions I should have asked? I would truly appreciate any information and help.

Thank you.

Reuven

gewbert

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I love the Inspire. You get access to everything Google.

Answering your questions:

1. Would I be able to use Google Voice on the Inspire 4G (like I can on my G1)?

Absolutely. This is what I'm doing because I love visual voicemail

2. Does AT&T interfere with Google Navigation?

No they don't. The phone comes preloaded with AT&T navigator but Google Navigation is also preloaded, so no problem.

3. Any known AT&T restrictions/interference with Google products or functionality?

Not that I've noticed. Only restriction is you can't sideload apps easily from outside the Android Market, but this can be gotten around

4. How about Skype?

I'm not sure about this, I think so. It doesn't have a front-facing camera so you can't do voice chat. Also, I think the VOIP calls are limited to when you're on WIFI (I'm not 100% sure on this, I think it's right though)

5. Does the Inspire 4G have any important advantages/disadvantages in comparison to the Thunderbolt? (Other than 3G/4G). Are the CPUs the same?

Not sure. I think the LTE/3G or 4G is the major difference.

6. My wife and I travel often. Would AT&T unlock the phone?

I'm sure AT&T will unlock if you've been a paying customer and pay a fee (I think)

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The Thunderbolt has seemingly the same specs. Both newer 1GHz Snapdragon processors and 768MB of RAM. They seem pretty similar overall minus the front facing camera and kickstand. I have an iPhone 4 and in almost a year I've used the front camera even with Skype maybe 5 times. So I went with the Inspire but both seem like awesome phones.

HTC Thunderbolt Vs. HTC Inspire 4G

Shempster

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
They do not have the same processor. The Inspire has a 8255 while the TB has a 8655. In benchmarks I've seen & ran the TB is approx 20% faster both CPU & GPU wise. I don't know that this would be noticeable in real world use. The TB has more on-board memory, kick stand & larger capacity battery. Also included is a 32gb card.

That said, I'd be very happy with an Inspire on Verizon’s network...

Last edited:

ReuvenNY

Dec 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to everyone. I went and purchased a family plan - 2 HTC Inspire 4Gs!
So far so good - my wife and I love it. If anyone has any questions or request to test something, please let me know.