2GB of ROM?

kludgineer

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
As noted on several blogs, some early g2's appear to be shipping with 2GB of ROM instead of the advertised 4GB. I called T-Mobile and was given a lame excuse that the extra 2GB was being reserved for "future software upgrades", but that I would likely never see that space made available for for me. Umm... Sure.

Has anyone received a G2 that shows ~3GB of space available? Mine is showing about 1.15GB after installing several apps, but nothing larger than a few MB.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
This seems to be the only "issue" I've noticed with the G2. I've read crazy theories that maybe we're receiving Desire Z's, but I think it's more likely that we are only given access to a certain amount of the ROM, which means the advertised space is kind of false advertising.

Maybe it's just a software glitch? All I know is I'm waiting on T-Mobile's response... Besides that, awesome phone.

Edit** Take a look at one user on the Tmo forums, ViperMatrixXM's analysis of the situation-

"I will breakdown the actual issue here. I have spent over an hour figuring out the exact issue to why only 2GB shows up in the PARTITION: The Kindle Bootlog was found a bit ago & under lines 101-104 it shows that it is using the same SEM04G chip that is in the G2. Lines 101-104: 100204:021240 mmc0: Using open-ended mode on Sandisk eMMC 100204:021240 mmc0: Using block addressing 100204:021240 mmc0: new high speed MMC card at address 0001 100204:021240 mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 SEM04G 3866624KiB It shows the proper 3.8GB reading. However, the kindle uses an entirely different OS that can support beyond 2GB. Bad news, Android cant read beyond 2GB because it is FAT it reminded me of the old days when I used to use Windows 95/98 & FDISK drives over 2GB needed FAT32. So basically its an Android limitation & support for FAT32 is what we really need to get these devices to read properly NOT just the G2 but the Vibrant as well & other devices that have Android that have larger than 2GB ROM. I've created an issue report & I need you to join me there to comment that you have the issue etc etc. Go here: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=11652&can=5&colspec=ID Type Status Owner S... & make sure you star it the more people the higher the priority to get this issue fixed."

Last edited:

takakoshimizu

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
That can't be true. Android's nand memory is NOT FAT. The /system, /data, etc partitions are YAFFS2. /sdcard is FAT32, which has no problem with filesizes supported by any sdcard.

According to the YAFFS2 documentation, it should easily support flash memory of 6GB or larger.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
That can't be true. Android's nand memory is NOT FAT. The /system, /data, etc partitions are YAFFS2. /sdcard is FAT32, which has no problem with filesizes supported by any sdcard.

According to the YAFFS2 documentation, it should easily support flash memory of 6GB or larger.

I saw that too, but thought the original poster had slightly more technical know-how than me. It seems to be driving several ROM boards crazy too, but I'm sure somebody will figure it out.

takakoshimizu

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I saw that too, but thought the original poster had slightly more technical know-how than me. It seems to be driving several ROM boards crazy too, but I'm sure somebody will figure it out.

Hard to tell. Guess we'll find out soon.

Is it Wednesday yet? My phone hasn't shipped yet so I guess it'll be Wed. :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress