Jump on the G2X or wait for the Pyramid?

benoit808

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty much ready to renew my contract on the 20th of this month to get the G2X but I am still very much intrigued by the Pyramid. Unfortunately there is not enough info out there to compare the 2 phones since just comparing specs is not sufficient.
How will the Pyramid perform compared to the G2X? Initial benchmarks don't look good but again, can we trust benchmarks?

Anybody has any more insight or opinion on whether to get the G2X or wait (for how long?) to get the Pyramid?

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I am pretty much ready to renew my contract on the 20th of this month to get the G2X but I am still very much intrigued by the Pyramid. Unfortunately there is not enough info out there to compare the 2 phones since just comparing specs is not sufficient.
How will the Pyramid perform compared to the G2X? Initial benchmarks don't look good but again, can we trust benchmarks?

Anybody has any more insight or opinion on whether to get the G2X or wait (for how long?) to get the Pyramid?

The Pyramid is 1.2ghz.
HTC has done well with Android.
LG is relatively new to Android, although the phone looks like it'd make a geek very happy.
You could always get them both and sell the one you like the least on Craigslist.

The G2X is to be vanilla Android too and wont have the TMobile Espresso UI crapola on it.

;)

Irishdoom

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, at this point we know a lot more about the G2X, and I don't think the Pyramid could be MASSIVELY better than it. The G2X is a dual core as well, has the stock Android experience, and though LG isn't as Android-versed as HTC, they've always done well with phones.

I'm jumping on the G2X come Friday.

Irishdoom

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a matter of knowns vs unknowns. Also, how big a difference could there be in terms of performance? The other problem is the Sensation doesn't come out till the summer, right?

benoit808

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
G2X:
- coming out within a week
- Tegra 2
- HDMI
- stock Froyo
- poor camera

Sensation:
- 1.2GHz
- more ram
- great camera
- looks really slick

Of course what we know of the Sensation is from a few hands-on at the press event so....

I'll probably just go with the g2x otherwise I'll always be waiting for the next best phone

experiment 626

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Those G2X pics were poor.Can a camera's sensor be improved by a software upgrade? One thing that worries me about the Sensation is the battery location.Looks like the battery door is going to be small like the Desire or the Inspire 4G.In other words no larger extended battery like you can have on the EVO or Thunderbolt. Since the G2X's entire back is the battery door it should be alot easier to offer a much larger extended battery with custom door/backplate like the EVO offers.

Irishdoom

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Those pics are from the Optimus 2X as well, I wonder if they improved the camera software since then. Still, it looks to have a lot of available tweaks for the camera to get it right.

TechAbstract

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
You know nVidia will bring alot of games to their Tegra 2 platform. Check TegraZone app. They have a few exclusive games for Tegra 2 and more on the way.

jnichols959

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
i'm not waiting for the sensation

the things that are tipping me toward getting the g2x now:

• stock android (not a Sense fan, hopefully timely updates but who knows)
  • AT&T 3G bands so less risk post merger, maybe more saleable later
  • no chance of a locked bootloader
  • CyanogenMod 7 is being made to work on the g2x
  • Paul O'Brien has made tons of progress on the optimus 2x already with an eye toward what can be used on the g2x
  • a good front facing camera
  • video capture is h.264 instead of 3gp
  • available months ahead of the sensation

things that the sensation has that i wish the g2x had:

• qHD display
  • a chance at getting the netflix app due the qualcomm processor
  • less bezel ;-)
  • more RAM

May 28, 2010
Visit site
People have to remember that the processor on the sensation is a cortex a8 processor not a cortex a9 like the tegra 2. I believe this is the reason why htc decided to overclock their processor since they knew it wouldnt be as fast as the cortex a9 ones (It's still extremely fast just not as new as the tegra 2 and omap 4 processors). Also you run the risk of having a signed bootloader on the sensation while the g2x is probably one of the easiest phones to root and install custom roms.
Im also pretty sure we will have overclock kernels in no time that will let us get over 1.2ghz easily.

Last edited:

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Having used Sense since imported my Telus Hero back in the day, I've grown tired of it. Sure, everyone loves the flip clock widget, but that's seriously it. I don't need any of the extra incorporated features that Sense provides. With the masses clamoring for a stock experience, I'm really glad T-Mob went for vanilla FroYo with the G2X. We can't be thanking LG here, as they've implemented their UI on overseas models.

I'm liking the device so far. It's my 46th smartphone in the last 3 years, and I don't think I've been this impressed with any other phone out of the box.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Having used Sense since imported my Telus Hero back in the day, I've grown tired of it. Sure, everyone loves the flip clock widget, but that's seriously it. I don't need any of the extra incorporated features that Sense provides. With the masses clamoring for a stock experience, I'm really glad T-Mob went for vanilla FroYo with the G2X. We can't be thanking LG here, as they've implemented their UI on overseas models.

I'm liking the device so far. It's my 46th smartphone in the last 3 years, and I don't think I've been this impressed with any other phone out of the box.

Hope you're joking lol, I thought I was addicted but i'm only up to 9 smartphones in 2 years :p
I agree with you, I was so glad when cyanogen 6 came out for the evo and I could finally get rid of sense. I felt like a lot of it's features were completely redundant (like having a button at the bottom to open your widget menu). Also even though the sensation has more ram you also have to account for all the ram sense alone takes to run. I bet at the end, both the sensation and g2x will have the same amount of free ram before installing any apps.

WarrenMSP

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I believe on the last podcast, Phil said the new sense tool 300M+ of RAM. That's why it needs 768. I agree with aim1126, it's a wash really between the Sensation and G2X in terms of RAM.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hope you're joking lol, I thought I was addicted but i'm only up to 9 smartphones in 2 years :p
I agree with you, I was so glad when cyanogen 6 came out for the evo and I could finally get rid of sense. I felt like a lot of it's features were completely redundant (like having a button at the bottom to open your widget menu). Also even though the sensation has more ram you also have to account for all the ram sense alone takes to run. I bet at the end, both the sensation and g2x will have the same amount of free ram before installing any apps.

Nope, not kidding. I've had many, many devices. I'm still very impressed by this bad boy.

kd78

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I got the g2x today from the local tmo store. I am coming from an n1 which I ordered on launch day. For me, the n1 was a huge leap forward and one of the best smartphone experiences I have had in the last 12 years.

I got the g2x mostly for the dual core and larger screen size than the n1. Now that I have been playing with the g2x for the day, I just don't see it being that big of an upgrade from the n1.

I know people are saying it's fast but doing a side by side comparison of the n1 with cm7 and stock g2x, I don't see a noticeable difference. Menus are just as smooth, launching apps is the same, switching between apps is the same, etc. I guess I am investing in the future with the dual core but if it doesn't make a difference now, then why not wait for the next big upgrade when the os and apps catch up?

The screen, while brighter and more true to color, doesn't feel that much bigger in use mostly because of the resolution. Its basically the same amount of content you can see on the n1 but stretched out over more space. Makes me really want to see a higher resolution display. The retina on my wife's ip4 is so much better than this.

What do you guys think? I will probably keep the phone but am not blown away like some. Maybe my expectations were too high?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez