Synced contacts picture issues

noj11jon

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So I have my contacts all synced to Facebook (via the Facebook app, not Facebook for htc sensation), and so it uses contact's profile pictures for their picture in my phone book. However, it seems that it only downloads the picture in a resolution high enough for the tiny picture in the phonebook. This means that in the contacts widget, and when you make a call, the pictures are almost unrecognizable as they are so blown up, entirely defeating the purpose of having them. This seems like a fairly obvious oversight. Is that just the way it is, or is there some way to make it sync higher resolution photos?

It actually really bothers me. I synced all my contacts with the Facebook app rather than Facebook for HTC Sensation, since it links me directly to their FB profile, and it actually synced all of them automatically (Facebook for HTC Sensation could only find about 5 people to sync). But this picture thing is bothering me so much that I might try out Facebook for HTC Sensation instead.

Thanks for the help.

danperde

Not quite a noob
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, it's not an issue per-se. It gets the pictures from facebook and saves them as thumbnails. I would believe it's because they wanted to save some memory. Not storage memory, but RAM, imagine how much memory you need every time you scroll through your contacts list, in order to render all the images at once. Same thing with the gallery app: if you really dig deep onto your folders, you'll find that you have your full resolution pictures along with a small version (thumbnails) which you see when you scroll through your album. So scrolling your contacts list shows you the thumbnails, when you place a called it gets the same stored thumbnail, it would be unreasonable to ask for a full version of the picture. They are not stored on your phone, and they can't be pull from Facebook: what if you have not data connection?

noj11jon

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
No, they are downloaded. When I turn off data they are still there. Do you use this app and have your contacts synced with it? I'm telling you, it completely defeats the purpose of having the contact picture there at all. It looks so bad, it has to be a weird setting somewhere or an oversight. I have seen other phones do this with Facebook successfully.

So my question is, does everyone have this problem and just deal with it, not have this problem, or user Facebook for HTC sense instead?

noj11jon

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
So perhaps the better question is, DOES ANYONE USE THE FACEBOOK (NOT FOR HTC SENSATION) APP AND NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM? If so, could you post any of your Facebook or contact settings that you think might affect this?

Thanks. :)