My Touch Questions

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Ok, so i am going to trade my blackberry 9000 bold for MAYBE a My Touch, but have some questions.

Looking at the tech specs, its pretty similar to the Hero... does it perform pretty well or is it laggy??

Has anyone been successful in getting 2.xx installed and everything working? Is this a difficult process??

Has anyone come from a blackberry to a MT3G and have any input for me?

This will be my first android phone, and i was going to get the nexus, but think i will wait til later this year and see what else will be coming out. I just want to get on the android platform so this trade seems like an OK way to go.

your thoughts and input would be GREATLY apprecaited!!!! :)

jdmoore81#AC

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
i have i am coming from a blackberry storm and 8900 and got the mytouch. now the roms are out there . i have eclair 2.0.1 but the only thing not working on it is camera and bluetooth but that is ok cause i am going to get a nexus one but the reason 2.x wont be fully operationable is the drivers need to be updated. its like how bb 5.0 was in the beta realeases they had to updated drivers and get the bugs out before it vould get out of beta. but i would get a mt3g you will love it over bb. i hope that helps.

ircactus

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
The MT3G is a solid little device. If you have the choice, I would totally go for the N1. Otherwise, I have it running stock 1.6 and it zips right along. Don't add home replacements or task killers and it will keep right on trucking.

The biggest switch problem for me was the email. BB email just rocks. I've used K-9 on androids with good success rather than the standard email app. If you're in exchange try touchdown. just works out of the gate.

Most people that have switched from bb's generally always state that they miss bbm. BBM can easily be replaced by google talk and as more of my friends / associates have switched to android I find it more than satisfying.

Hope this helped a little.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
i switched from a Blackberry 8900 to the mt3g. Also my first android experience. Its awesome, but i do miss my bb now and then. sometimes my mt3g gets slow but its probably fromdoing more than one task at a time. still debating on getting the bold 9700, but not very likely soon.

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah.. been on it for a little bit now, and now that i understand how to flash different ROMS and a little more about the OS, i am REALLY diggin it. I do miss the email on my blackberry and BBM, and dont REALLY understand why someone hasn't come out with an app that would make the email on android a little more like the bb (obviously without the PUSH factor) but with the ability to have all your emails come into one box if you want. Obviously the MT3G is a little older hardware and i think with the newer stuff

and the REALLY need a decent multi-network IM client and it would be awesome!! The biggest thing for me really is that i KNOW there will be updates pushed out regularly and that the platform will be getting better and better... I think blackberry has plateaued and really needs to reinvent themselves IMO.

jrivera817

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
"The biggest thing for me really is that i KNOW there will be updates pushed out regularly and that the platform will be getting better and better... I think blackberry has plateaued and really needs to reinvent themselves IMO."[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you, this is the reason why I left the bb. it feels good knowing im not the only one.

wezra

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Am in the same boat....

Yeah.. been on it for a little bit now, and now that i understand how to flash different ROMS and a little more about the OS, i am REALLY diggin it. I do miss the email on my blackberry and BBM, and dont REALLY understand why someone hasn't come out with an app that would make the email on android a little more like the bb (obviously without the PUSH factor) but with the ability to have all your emails come into one box if you want. Obviously the MT3G is a little older hardware and i think with the newer stuff

and the REALLY need a decent multi-network IM client and it would be awesome!! The biggest thing for me really is that i KNOW there will be updates pushed out regularly and that the platform will be getting better and better... I think blackberry has plateaued and really needs to reinvent themselves IMO.

After using RIM devises for 10 years I am pretty burnt out on them. I currently have an 8900 on T-Mobile running OS 5.0.0.411 and it is the best OS build yet. At the same time when I look at upgrading, the 9700 just doesn't offer enough to make me think it is even worth the trouble. So I am now looking at an Android phone. I really like the myTouch Fender Edition with the enhanced media player, standard headphone jack and, as I was told by several T-Mobile Reps, their are in fact some hardware upgrades in that version as well. (They are going to bring out a new standard myTouch 3G in a couple of weeks that will be exactly like the Fender sans the paint job.) But all that said, I just don't see continuing with Blackberry... they really have hit a wall. After all this time their is no excuse for the horrible browser experience and the crappy media player... no excuse what so ever. In terms of BBM I have never used it, so no big deal not having it.. and as for push email, I used a Palm Treo for several years (along with my BB) and having to go out and grab my email was no issue. Those things really don't bother me that much. I just want something that is up-to-date and has a good browser and media player... and BB just doesn't cut it anymore.

SurgeCentral

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
MT3G on 2.xx ROMs

"Has anyone been successful in getting 2.xx installed and everything working? Is this a difficult process??"

I have a MT3G with a 2.x ROM on it, everything works except for the videos( video camera youtube) due to drivers not being available yet. other than that it blows 1.6 out the water..... of course you have to be rooted to install a custom ROM, as long as you are able to follow youtube directions, you can root and install custom ROMs fairly easily..

Ripjames

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't have a MT3G but some of you guys are complaining that all your email isn't going into the same box on your phone, You can do this, you can have your mail forowarded to your google mail account and it will all go into the same box, also if you want it to be relied from the address the sender sent it to, you can do this as well on the gmail website, it's somewhere in the settings, i've never used it myself, you should be able to do this witll all mail accounts, yahoo won't let you forward their mail unless you have a premium account, but you can have gmail retrieve it as a POP 3. Hope this can hel you guys coming from BBM, I should also say i've never had a black berry device, mostly a palm guy here

Sunofabob

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
i have i am coming from a blackberry storm and 8900 and got the mytouch. now the roms are out there . i have eclair 2.0.1 but the only thing not working on it is camera and bluetooth but that is ok cause i am going to get a nexus one but the reason 2.x wont be fully operationable is the drivers need to be updated. its like how bb 5.0 was in the beta realeases they had to updated drivers and get the bugs out before it vould get out of beta. but i would get a mt3g you will love it over bb. i hope that helps.

I'd take bb over everything but, I love Android

Last edited:

weirdkid

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
"Has anyone been successful in getting 2.xx installed and everything working? Is this a difficult process??"

I have a MT3G with a 2.x ROM on it, everything works except for the videos( video camera youtube) due to drivers not being available yet. other than that it blows 1.6 out the water..... of course you have to be rooted to install a custom ROM, as long as you are able to follow youtube directions, you can root and install custom ROMs fairly easily..

I read that the Camcorder doesn't work on eclair roms.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non