Random Nexus S Issues

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or does the Facebook app suck. The notifications don't work. I never, ever get notified. The only time I know I've gotten messages or comments is when I click the icon and load the notifications. Most of the time when I load the notifications it shows me an old notification first and then u have to back out and go back in to get them to reload. Its really annoying. I love Android but I must say that little things like this are the reason I left my first android device ans went back to blackberry. Blackberry may not have all the bells and whistles but it works 100% of the time. Between the calls causing the phone to reboot, the apps not working properly and the battery lasting me 8 hours (if I'm lucky) the problems are starting to build up.

Also, as I type this on my Nexus S have of my post isn't even visible. The page doesn't render so that I can read what I post. And has anyone noticed that when they type a search into Google if its more than a couple of words you cannot read what you're typing. Which almost always leades to mis-spelling the search topic
I know this is a brand new device but somethings got to give. And can we get some cases for this phone for the love of god. No matter where you look all thats available is the same cases at best buy. Come on...they hyped this phone up and I believed enough to get on it, but they need to put some effort into this phone and make it worth while.

OK. I'm done with my rant. I'm not going to leave my Nexus S because I truthfully think the phone is great, but it definetly needs a fair amount of work.

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Is it just me or does the Facebook app suck. The notifications don't work. I never, ever get notified. The only time I know I've gotten messages or comments is when I click the icon and load the notifications. Most of the time when I load the notifications it shows me an old notification first and then u have to back out and go back in to get them to reload. Its really annoying. I love Android but I must say that little things like this are the reason I left my first android device ans went back to blackberry. Blackberry may not have all the bells and whistles but it works 100% of the time. Between the calls causing the phone to reboot, the apps not working properly and the battery lasting me 8 hours (if I'm lucky) the problems are starting to build up.

Are facebook notifications enabled on your facebook account? (not on the phone; I'm talking the actual facebook website) If you came from a blackberry, have you disabled those notifications? My Nexus hasn't missed a single facebook notification.

Also, as I type this on my Nexus S have of my post isn't even visible. The page doesn't render so that I can read what I post. And has anyone noticed that when they type a search into Google if its more than a couple of words you cannot read what you're typing. Which almost always leades to mis-spelling the search topic

Never noticed that for google search. Maybe its because I never use the website (I only use the built-in search, or google it right in the browser's bar), but I've never noticed this until you said something. As for the post; its because you're zoomed in. If you allow the entire text box to show, it won't cut-off anything. If I'm mis-interpreting what you're saying, I apologize, but I'm picturing it as I would normally use the browser. (this is where a built-in screencap function would be greatly appreciated.)

I know this is a brand new device but somethings got to give. And can we get some cases for this phone for the love of god. No matter where you look all thats available is the same cases at best buy. Come on...they hyped this phone up and I believed enough to get on it, but they need to put some effort into this phone and make it worth while.

Don't blame google for this, they can't force manufacturers to make cases. You also have to realize that the phone has been out for a little over a month, so its not reasonable to expect a lot of cases. They also didn't really hype this phone up. Its a developer phone that also happens to be sold to consumers; there'll be cases eventually, but its going to be a little while longer. In the meantime, check out TPU-CASES.COM, - All TPU Cases Shipped Free in the USA. They have some TPU cases that should do the job until better cases come out.

OK. I'm done with my rant. I'm not going to leave my Nexus S because I truthfully think the phone is great, but it definetly needs a fair amount of work.

I agree. It feels half-finished, mainly because of the OS. Don't get me wrong, this is the first time I've felt Android could compete with iOS in terms of actually using it. Its still not there though. But, I wouldn't trade it for anything else at the moment, especially not with the 4 mb/s I'm pulling down consistently. I could go with a Droid X or Evo, but neither can match those speeds in my area, and both are considerably older.

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You're right, its not Google's fault there aren't any cases. And the problems I have are minor except the dropped call (which they're working on a fix). Thank you for the link to the cases, I'd prefer to find some sort of hard case for the phone but I may have to settle and get a rubber one. I just find it a bit difficult to get those in and out of your pocket. If anyone else has any idea of cases please post. It would be much appreciated.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
You're right, its not Google's fault there aren't any cases. And the problems I have are minor except the dropped call (which they're working on a fix). Thank you for the link to the cases, I'd prefer to find some sort of hard case for the phone but I may have to settle and get a rubber one. I just find it a bit difficult to get those in and out of your pocket. If anyone else has any idea of cases please post. It would be much appreciated.

TPU is different though. Its a lot more durable than silicone, but it also feels a whole lot better. I just got mine today and the back is polished smooth, so it slides nicely in and out of your pocket. Now, it isn't the best case in the world and the fit is every so slightly 'off', but it was only $10 ($10 freaking bucks!) so its great for what it is.

I'm also used to waiting for cases; I got an iPhone 4 about a week after it came out, and I had to wait until September for any good cases. (thanks to the case program) I'd bet it will only be another few weeks before we see more quality cases out there.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
GeneralTula, I feel your pain. Many people are having a variety of different issues with Gingerbread. Clearly, it has its share of bugs and glitches. Please visit this thread. You'll find reports made to Google. If you share any of the same issues, please visit the report(s) and star them. Doing so will garner more attention from Google in the hopes of a fix in future updates. Thanks.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-nexus-s/50776-reporting-issues-google.html

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to get all your notifications to appear in the pull down menu? mine will only show when i get a friend request or a private message.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to get all your notifications to appear in the pull down menu? mine will only show when i get a friend request or a private message.

Are you talking about facebook? The only notifications you can get will be friend requests, messages, or event invites. Everything else will stay within the App. (however, if you DO get a notification for any of the above) you'll be able to see it when you go to clear the others)

Reactions: dadds27

dadds27

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
yeah it was about facebook. i was hoping to get notified outside the app for any notification. yes i get those 3 but i guess im greedy and wanted them all or i might have had a certain setting wrong

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think you're being greedym I'd like to receive all of my notifications as well. Not just chosen ones. I think it will come with an update sooner orblater to the FB app. I don't think its a Gingerbread zlissue because my other apps work fine.

Jalarm

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
The facebook app does suck, but that's not a reason for the device to be returned. As for the is not feeling complete I agree with that but its stock android and they are getting much closer to making it great.

GeneralTula

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I never said anything about returning the phone. I love this phone. I always have this issue where I buy the newest phone out and then worry about the quirks. This time I love the phone so much I'm sticking it out and waiting for updates to fix the issues im having. I just hope they work on these problems instead of putting them on the back burner and pushing out new devices. But, I do have faith in Google and I think they are going to make a stand with this phone and show Apple how much better an Android device can be.