Keyboard issues

nixzero

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
One of the primary draws of the Note 3 was that it's larger size meant a larger keyboard. Considering that my thumb could block nearly the entire screen of my old phone, it's been an improvement. BUT, it's not perfect. For some reason, the phone will do strange things while I'm typing.

While I'm typing, sometimes the phone registers a character other than the one I typed. For example just a second ago, I pressed the comma key and it registered as a period, even though that key is almost 2 inches away. Other times, the cursor will just jump to the middle of a message as I'm typing, or the Voice-to-text stuff comes up. I think it has to do with the touchscreen sensitivity, because I have been unable to type using both thumbs, which was never an issue on my old phone. It's as though the phone is registering multiple touches even though my fingers are hovering above the screen.

I thought about installing a new keyboard, but I've tried alternative keyboards in the past (Swype, SwiftKey) and wasn't impressed. Besides, I really feel that the sensitivity is my issue. Any ideas?

nixzero

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
My post was a little misleading, when I tried Swype and Swiftkey, it was on my older phone. Might be worth another go, though. What does resizing the keyboard achieve?

Peaches36

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
My post was a little misleading, when I tried Swype and Swiftkey, it was on my older phone. Might be worth another go, though. What does resizing the keyboard achieve?

You can pick one of these sizes and see which one works for you if any. There is also the compact or thumb keyboard option. Hope this helps.

Sent from the yummy gum drop GN3..

Attachments

• 1392440669973.jpg
    1392440669973.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 14

nixzero

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the advice. Just installed SwiftKey, and it seems to have resolved the issue with the wrong keys being pressed. Last time I used it was on an LG Optimus T, and let's just say no keyboard could have made that phone easier to type on. :) I also like how you can add arrow keys. My only complaint is that there is no option for a dedicated number row, but I read that this will be added in the next update, I may install the beta and try it out.

SwiftKey also solves another issue I was sometimes having: While in the Internet app, sometimes the "Go" button would be replaced with a Smiley face, I would have to go into the symbol menu to hit the "Go" button. Looks like it was a quirk of the Samsung keyboard, thought I should mention it in case it's happening to anyone else.

While we're on the subject, it appears that SwiftKey changed the behavior of the dictionary and auto-punctuation features? I thought these were global features, but if they can be altered, i would love to have more control. For example, the stock keyboard didn't jive with ordinal numbers (eg. "63rd" was changed to "63 rd"), but regardless of which keyboard I use, it will capitalize the first letter after a period, even if I'm just typing an abbreviation. Would be nice if there was a way to add logic that would auto-capitalize except after "Ave.", "St.", "Rd.", etc., and only capitalize when I type 2 spaces. It appears that the dictionary has changed; I mis-typed "neutal" instead of neutral the other day, and it only capitalized it, as Neutal is a city, but SwiftKey changes it to "neural". I work on cars more often than brains, so it would be nice to give "neutral" more weight. Thanks again!

nixzero

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hate to double-post, but I think I found out why the stock keyboard was giving me trouble. Remember how I said it was acting overly sensitive? Somehow the option for increased sensitivity (for when you wear gloves) was turned on. Not sure how that happened, where I live it's never cold enough to wear gloves! lol, at least I know to be aware of it in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non