[VIBRANT FROYO] The official update thread
07-23-2011 08:51 AM
- You know whats really awesome about this? Those of us that have been waiting forever get all excited yesterday that we are getting an update. come to find out those of us that don't have home internet cuz our phone internet is sufficient and also have jobs that will fire us for pulling a stunt like downloading software to update our phone, well seems we are fu**ed yet again. Thanks t-sung! Thank you for succeeding to always be a piece o sh*t. Good day......01-21-2011 07:29 PMLike 1
- Mine upgraded with no problems at all. I'm really surprised they got rid of the stock Android keyboard ('cause the Samsung one is such a great replacement, right?). Well, at least we don't need to "sweep" the lock screen anymore (seriously, I was embarrassed for Samsung with that slip up). Using the computer to upgrade reminded me way too much of my Palm OS days 10 years ago.01-21-2011 07:39 PM
- well i just completed the upgrade, first attempt was troubling though. i was beginning the upgrade process then it said that it could not upgrade and that i needed to pull the battery and reboot the phone and retry the upgrade. after pulling the battery and rebooting i tried again and to my surprise it actually worked smoothly. the reboot after the upgrade completed is taking its sweet time though.01-21-2011 07:53 PM
- was pretty simple. just make sure your phone is set to kies before you plug in the usb. the part that took the longest was the downloading binary files (ive got slow internet) but the installation probably didnt take more than 5-10. total time spent was about 20-30 minutes, including installing kies and updating it.01-21-2011 08:22 PM
- Vick: Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?
Visitor: i cant get samsung kies to work with my cell phone
Visitor: on samsung kies it says. kies does not support this phone
Visitor: on kies mini it says unregistered device
Visitor: the device is registered
Visitor: and i have the galaxy s phone - vibrant
Vick: I understand that you are unable to connect to Kies mini, am I correct?
Visitor: yes both kies softwares
Vick: Thank you for confirming.
Visitor: another question?
Visitor: are you a real person or am i talking to an automated?
Vick: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
Vick: Please go ahead.
Visitor: are you a real person?
Visitor: or automated?
Vick: I'm sorry. I'm a real person.
Visitor: ok making sure :smileyvery-happy:
Visitor: so are you going to help me or????
Vick: Yes. Absolutely.
Vick: Just to confirm, may I know the exact error message while you connect the phone?
Visitor: unregistered device
Visitor: on kies mini
Visitor: on the other kies
Visitor: it says
Visitor: this phone is not supported by kies
Vick: Just to confirm, did you register the phone with Samsung?
Vick: Just to confirm, did you receive the notification on the phone regarding the update?
Visitor: what update?
Vick: I see that you may get connected to Kies mini only if you may receive the notification. However, Android 2.2 is released for your phone and you may receive the notification in couple of hours, then you may get connected to Kies to update the firmware.
Visitor: so why is it saying unregistered device?
Vick: I'm sorry. I recommend you to perform the soft reset to troubleshoot the issue that you are facing with the device. This might fix the issue.
Vick: 1. Turn off the handset.
Vick: 2. Remove the battery and wait for 30 seconds.
Vick: 3. Reinsert the battery and turn ON the device.
Vick: Please perform the above the procedure and let me know the status.
Visitor: doing that now
Vick: Sure. I will be waiting for your response.
Visitor: ive been reading forums and alot of people have been able to get this update
Visitor: while alot of people are still having the same problem that i am having
Vick: I'm sorry. The update is released in Phases. You will also receive the notification in couple of hours that you may update the firmware.
Visitor: ok but once i recive this notification
Visitor: does that mean ill be able to use kies without having problems?
Visitor: it says
Vick: Yes. Exactly.
Visitor: Model Name : SGH-T959 (myphone#)
Visitor: Firmware Version : Unregistered device
Visitor: Firmware upgrade :
Visitor: its not letting me connect at all
Vick: I'm sorry. I see that you might be able to get connected once you receive the notification.
Visitor: ok thanks vick
check that out....
Source Re: Mini Kies not working (unregistered device) - T-Mobile Community01-21-2011 08:49 PM
- Ok, it took me a couple hours, but someone on T-Mo's forum did post the correct steps for doing the Froyo update on the Vibrant. I've done 2 of them successfully now with these steps:
-Download & install the version of Kies from this link: www.TinyURL.com/KiesMini.
-Once it's installed & BEFORE connecting your phone to the computer, go into the phone Settings>>Applications>>USB Settings>>select Samsung Kies>>then go to Development & check USB debugging. Hit your home button & HIBERNATE THE PHONE (press the power key), THEN connect it to your computer & watch the magic happen. Good luck, all!!01-21-2011 09:02 PM
- ok upgraded my roommates vibrant. went smoother than i was expecting. backed everything up, put it in kies mode, ran kies. updated without a hitch.
was expecting it to wipe the phone in the process. all apps and info stayed put. verified it was running 2.2. only thing that got reset was touchwiz.
btw his phone is completely stock. updated via xp.01-21-2011 09:24 PM
How Do I Update The Software On My T-Mobile SGH-t959 (Vibrant) Phone To JI6 Through Kies Mini?
How can it be outdated?01-21-2011 09:29 PM
- Paul627gAC Moderator All-Star
Using Cognition ROM vs Stock Froyo is a unfair comparison.01-21-2011 10:15 PM
- Did anyone get it to work on kies without receiving the notification to upgrade on their phone? I tried to update using kies mini earlier today, but as others have stated, it said "unregistered device". At work now, gonna try again when I get home. Thanks and Congrats to those of you that got the upgrade to work... This has been a very long wait! Hope I can get it to upgrade.01-21-2011 11:16 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- More Samsung Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S
- T-Mobile Vibrant
[VIBRANT FROYO] The official update thread
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD