[VIBRANT FROYO] The official update thread

geekywolf

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
If you are having an issue with the dreaded "Unregistered Device" notice, try restarting your phone. I was having the issue, unplugged the USB, popped the battery out, then turn the phone back on. Once everything was back up and running, I connected it back to my PC with Kies active (remember to keep USB Debugging on) and it finally recognized. The phone is now happily updating.

suniljdsouza

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I chose the ask option and I rebooted and it finally gave me the upgrade option. Unfortunately, it said my battery was too low to upgrade! I recommend rebooting though.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I chose the ask option and I rebooted and it finally gave me the upgrade option. Unfortunately, it said my battery was too low to upgrade! I recommend rebooting though.

Yeah the battery this is a pain, but at least you know your stuff is working fine. You need at lease +60% charge on your battery before Kies lets you upgrade.

hamagc

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
just watching too. tonight i'll update my buddies vibrant and get a review going on the differences and improvements, hopefully.

Mobius360

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
A few things as a fellow Galaxy S line owner. The kies thing is fine and all but it makes no sense for T-Mobile to only release via kies if they have been doing its prior updates OTA. Reading all these kies connection issues how many people are going to even bother who are not really into their phones, seems like the old days again worrying about having the right drivers and crap on your computer. There is no need to do it this way but apparently T-Mobile feels otherwise.

Were any of the Vibrant leaks 2.2.1? I am surprised by the 2.2 version when on my Epic, the DK28 leak released in November was 2.2.1.

With that out of the way, how do you'll like the new froyo update?

suniljdsouza

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I got Froyo. As soon as my battery charged again, I tried it and it downloaded. Again, I recommend choosing the "ask" option instead of defaulting to Kies and then rebooting.

orgwizard

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
So here are my helpful tips

I've seen the unregistered crap and seen my phone connect but the software didn't see it...so here's what eneded up working...
btw...this is on a win7 64 bit, so it does work..

plugged in the phone, found it in device manager, and selected it, then did an uninstall of the device and told it to delete the driver...
since I had previously tried Kies 2.0...I had to completely uninstall that...
plus the entry for samsung usb drivers...

since I don't know how restricted mini is..some say to certain models, I got it from here...
How Do I Update The Software On My T-Mobile SGH-t959 (Vibrant) Phone To JI6 Through Kies Mini?

since I'd seen everything from unregistered to kies not seeing it, and the update would wipe out my phone anyway...I just backed it up with mybackup..and then did a factory reset...
btw...I too have seen that if you use launcher pro, kies mode will not work.

so...started from clean phone and computer.
installed the kies mini software that I got from teh link above...and rebooted when prompted.
ran kies mini, not doing the run as admin option..otherwise it tries to install an update..which not sure if that helps or makes things works...
plugged in the phone after kies was up and running...and selected the kies mode on the phone...
windows started looking for drivers...if you click on the little balloon popup that says it's installing drivers, there's an option to tell it to skip getting drivers from windows update..which I did...
this way I had the kies version that's supposed to work with the vibrant and using the drivers that it installed.

after all that crap...it worked...
though not sure if it gets cranky with too many disconnects, but at one point it stopped seeing the phone again, so I just restarted the computer and the phone...and then it started working ok...and I got my update..

hopefully you all don't have to go though all this, but if you're getting desperate like I did, maybe this will help...

btw...after you do the update...double check avatar still works..
mine no longer had a license, even though it worked right before the update...
had to do this to get it working again:
After I installed the update, I can no longer access the Avatar movie as I receive "File Locked" message. What can I do?
The license will need to be reacquired. You may need to backup information as a reset will erase all device data. A full reset will need to be performed by dialing *2767*3855#. The device will restart afterwards. After a few minutes has passed, you should be able to play back the movie.

bdroc

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
This was an Easy Update

A few notes

1. KIES MINI WORKS FINE ON 64 BIT (www.tinyurl.com/kiesmini)
2. You HAVE to be on TwLauncher (Touchwiz UI)
3. You have to have USB connection mode set to Kies

About the Update:

my phone feels so much more powerful now...the speed is about the same but im running a bunch of widgets with adw launcher ex...quadrant is around 950...im sure its still the file system keeping that number down

im loving mobile AP and tethering....i havent played around much with USB tethering, but mobile access point works wonders...and with adw launcher i can make a shortcut on my homescreen to activate this on the fly

all the icons are now colorful in the settings, and the dialogue windows are a darker blue, there is a sensor rotation shortcut in the notification pulldown, in the power menu, there is a new option to turn off data networks (separate from airplane mode, probably AWESOME for battery)

there is a new app called T-Mobile TV, and its live TV for certain channels...you get one month free...there is another new app called wifi calling which still uses minutes, but im assuming itll have much better call quality (this is funny since they charge you for minutes while you are using your broadband provider's internet)

Skype and other 2.2 apps work fine (kongregate, ti-83, etc)

Chances are is that GPS issues are hardware...if you have a valid warranty use it....i did and i went from finding 1 satellite but not using it for a fix, to finding 10 and using 9 of them for a fix

Last edited: