Virginia Beach - Norfolk Virginia area

JOSH_W

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Anyone in this area with T-Mobile? Was wondering how the network speed and reliability is in my area, currently with sprint and fed up. Thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Internet_Tough_Guy

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Anyone in this area with T-Mobile? Was wondering how the network speed and reliability is in my area, currently with sprint and fed up. Thanks

what phone are you using, and what phone do you plan on using on T-Mobile?

you need to also check the T-Mobile coverage maps of 4G data, they have a street-level map as well, which is pretty accurate.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I live in the area and I switched to Tmobile last year, coming from Sprint. We each have a separate prepaid account/sim card

I get HSPA+/4G speeds averaging about 10-14 mbps down and 2 MBps up on Tmobile
My wife has an unlocked Galaxy Nexus and I have an unlocked Galaxy Note 1 (i717-AT&T) and an HTC Amaze 4g

With Sprint and Boost, I was getting 50kbps down and 35 kbps up. Horrible speeds.

YMMV

JOSH_W

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info, we'll probably go with S4 and Note 3 later this year, or the next nexus device, just trying to get as much info as possible to convince the wife. Thanks again

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering if you guys realized that Sprint's lte is active in the area.

Korama12

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

Which is sometimes slower than T-Mobile HSPA+. In fact I work with a guy who has a Galaxy S4 on Sprint. We did a head to head speed test, he was on LTE and I was on T-Mobile HSPA. He got 5.7 down and I got just under 8 down. We tried again and I was even faster (8.1) while he stayed the same. Not saying that T-Mobile will always beat Sprint LTE but it seems that a lot of the ancedotes I've read, and now my own personal experience, indicate that it will in at least some cases.

Korama12

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
How were your pings. Were they comparable? Faster speed means nothing with higher latency.

Good question. I'll do it again, find out, and report back here.

Also FYI, I'm using an older phone that doesn't even get HSPA +42, the best I can get is HSPA +21.

JOSH_W

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm aware of LTE but it's pretty much worthless where I work, the only place I get a good LTE signal is on the interstate. I'm going to give it a few more months since I'm still under contract, but I'm pretty fed up with sprint. Fustrated at the always buffering when watching video and listening to music.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I heard it's active. I'm not doing contracts anymore. I tried Boost but the 3G was horrible in my area and my workplace. I liked Sprint phone service but data sucks

Korama12

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
How were your pings. Were they comparable? Faster speed means nothing with higher latency.

Just tried it again, my ping was 278 and his was 567. Results were similar to what I said before.

I guess that would account for some of the difference. Still seems a little slow for LTE though IMO...

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
uny7eda6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87