Third party text/mms issues

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm only able to use stock messaging app when on Wifi to be successful in sending and receiving MMS messages. If I use third party, they only work when Wifi is disabled. Is anyone else experiencimg this on T-Mobile with the M8 or any other device?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I sent a pick to a friend a few hours ago on my stock TMO HTC one M8 using the stock messaging app and NOT connected to WiFi (Edited, originally said not connected to Cellular - sorry). I was connected to LTE.

Last edited:

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm only able to use stock messaging app when on Wifi to be successful in sending and receiving MMS messages. If I use third party, they only work when Wifi is disabled. Is anyone else experiencimg this on T-Mobile with the M8 or any other device?
I'm not sure what you mean by when you use a third party. Do you mean a third-party messaging app?

A data connection is required to be able to receive or send MMS. What data plan are you on?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is normal sadly. I did a bunch of troubleshooting with ChompSMS on this issue and they finally said that T-Mobile basically doesn't release all the information needed to make this work so... Having to use the stock is the only way :/.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you mean by when you use a third party. Do you mean a third-party messaging app?

A data connection is required to be able to receive or send MMS. What data plan are you on?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

On T-Mobile a data connection is actually not required. It's the only carrier that doesn't... IF... Your phone supports their wifi calling feature. If it does (most T-Mobile branded Android phones do) it will work MMS over wifi but only via the stock app.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I sent a pick to a friend a few hours ago on my stock TMO HTC one M8 using the stock messaging app and NOT connected to cellular. I believe i was on LTE.

Cellular... Is LTE? That made no sense :p.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I saw something online that said you can set new APN settings and then be able to override this. Anyone ever try that? There is a video on YouTube that shows how.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I saw something online that said you can set new APN settings and then be able to override this. Anyone ever try that? There is a video on YouTube that shows how.

I have never found a way. I just use stock when on wifi since I don't want to mess up MMS when on mobile data.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Cellular... Is LTE? That made no sense :p.

Cellular can consist of GSM, UMTS, HDSPA, HSDPA+ and LTE.
Since your trying to trouble shoot an issue I was trying to be specific. So by saying Cellular that leaves it open to several options. LTE being one of them.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Cellular can consist of GSM, UMTS, HDSPA, HSDPA+ and LTE.
Since your trying to trouble shoot an issue I was trying to be specific. So by saying Cellular that leaves it open to several options. LTE being one of them.

Oh I understand it's just confusing since you said you weren't on cellular but then said you were on LTE which is like saying I'm connected but not connected ... Not sure if it was a typo but it was confusing :p.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Oh I understand it's just confusing since you said you weren't on cellular but then said you were on LTE which is like saying I'm connected but not connected ... Not sure if it was a typo but it was confusing :p.

You are completely right, I went back and re-read what i wrote and i have edited it and updated it to read NOT connected to WiFi. My apologies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You are completely right, I went back and re-read what i wrote and i have edited it and updated it to read NOT connected to WiFi. My apologies.

That's what I thought but just wanted to be sure... I can't tell you how many times I've typoed like that and read right over it :(.

Glad we got it though! :).

Rirruto

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I keep my GS4 on wifi while at home. I use a third party sms app called 8sms. It's fantastic. When I send/receive MMS, my network automatically switches to cellular (LTE/4G) and once its done downloading the message, it goes back to wifi. There's a setting under Advanced Wifi settings for Auto Network Switch on my phone. Make sure you have that checked off. In addition, I noticed MMS does not work when I have Wifi Calling enabled so I just disable it.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I keep my GS4 on wifi while at home. I use a third party sms app called 8sms. It's fantastic. When I send/receive MMS, my network automatically switches to cellular (LTE/4G) and once its done downloading the message, it goes back to wifi. There's a setting under Advanced Wifi settings for Auto Network Switch on my phone. Make sure you have that checked off. In addition, I noticed MMS does not work when I have Wifi Calling enabled so I just disable it.

If only I could disable wifi calling.. But I need it at my house. My house likes to rock cellular signal :(.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If only I could disable wifi calling.. But I need it at my house. My house likes to rock cellular signal :(.

It only disables it for a second when sending or receiving a MMS message and then turns Wifi calling right back on.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It only disables it for a second when sending or receiving a MMS message and then turns Wifi calling right back on.

Yeah but I don't get a cell signal at/in my house.. So It would be a no go :(.