T-Mobile hands out free phones to existing Verizon customers to test-drive its network

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You said "that's where TMO evidently failed" and "it's fair to say the promo was not successful." Failure is defined as "lack of success" so if you say the promo was not a success then you're saying it was a failure.

TMO failed at comprehensively addressing Verizon's nationwide coverage. I don't agree with your binary classification either; "lack of success" doesn't necessarily have to mean failure. But I'll stop the semantics discussion :)

And if the point of the ad campaign was to combat potential losses from a competitor's ad campaign, then showing no significant loss during the time that the competitor's ad campaign ran would be the definition of success.

I would think the point was to poach more customers. Remember, TMO already had a positive porting ratio in the previous quarter, so there was no net loss of customers. But the porting ratio did drop the subsequent quarter when they specifically targeted Verizon--and that cannot be considered a success.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
TMO failed at comprehensively addressing Verizon's nationwide coverage. I don't agree with your binary classification either; "lack of success" doesn't necessarily have to mean failure. But I'll stop the semantics discussion :)

That's the dictionary definition of it. You can take it up with Oxford if you would like to argue that :)

I would think the point was to poach more customers. Remember, TMO already had a positive porting ratio in the previous quarter, so there was no net loss of customers. But the porting ratio did drop the subsequent quarter when they specifically targeted Verizon--and that cannot be considered a success.

You're completely ignoring my post. You say "the porting ratio did drop the subsequent quarter when they specifically targeted Verizon..." but you keep leaving out "but the porting ratio drop was minimal despite Verizon's promotional pricing on large data blocks and an aggressive ad campaign meant to point out the shortcomings in coverage for other carriers, which is mostly a problem for T-Mobile."

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
You're completely ignoring my post. You say "the porting ratio did drop the subsequent quarter when they specifically targeted Verizon..." but you keep leaving out "but the porting ratio drop was minimal despite Verizon's promotional pricing on large data blocks and an aggressive ad campaign meant to point out the shortcomings in coverage for other carriers, which is mostly a problem for T-Mobile."

They both do generic (non-targeted) advertising and I'm sure this wasn't the first quarter Verizon lowered their pricing or ran a promotion. TMO specifically targeted Verizon with advertising, and ran a promotion against Verizon, whereas you can't necessarily say the same for Verizon (that their promotion or advertising were in direct response to TMO's actions/gains.)

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Verizon gained 1.134 postpaid customers in the previous quarter, more than TMO's 1 million. The churn rate was also lower than TMO's.

TMO did beat them out in the total number of postpaid phone adds, though.

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just left my local T-Mobile store and while there the rep said they were not doing any sort of test drive program where they allow you to use your own device on their network. Strange.

He did however set me up with a new T-Mobile G4 on an unlimited plan that I could trial for 14 days and return with full refund if I was unhappy with the service.

So for,the next 2 weeks I'll be hauling around two phones to check coverage. Just as good of an option I suppose

Posted via the Android Central App

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I just left my local T-Mobile store and while there the rep said they were not doing any sort of test drive program where they allow you to use your own device on their network. Strange.

He did however set me up with a new T-Mobile G4 on an unlimited plan that I could trial for 14 days and return with full refund if I was unhappy with the service.

So for,the next 2 weeks I'll be hauling around two phones to check coverage. Just as good of an option I suppose

I believe the Test Drive is only available online.

ahamick

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I believe the Test Drive is only available online.

Good to know. Either way, im enjoying the T-Mobile network and as long as the signal is good where my wife frequents for work we will most likely be porting our numbers from Verizon.

As long as the store rep keep his word and refunds me my down payment I'll be a happy new T-Mobile customer

raino

Q&A Team
Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I just left my local T-Mobile store and while there the rep said they were not doing any sort of test drive program where they allow you to use your own device on their network.

Also note that the Test Drive program indeed does not allow you to use your own device on their network...at least the way it is set up. They will send you an iPhone with a SIM card. Now if you want to use that SIM card in your own device, you could do that (hooray for GSM) and put the iPhone away until you have to return it. But you can't refuse the iPhone at the time of signing up for Test Drive.

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't do the test drive, just plainly walked into t-mobile store and said good bye to greedy Verizon. Signal is great here I live, work and places I frequent. Couldn't be happier with the move.

The panda has spoken

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch