Switching S20 5G from T-Mobile to Verizon

NiceTeeth1313

May 28, 2021
Visit site
In the last 24hrs, I have learned more about cell phones than I ever thought that I would, and after reading a lot of topics on this forum (in the last 18hrs or so) I realize that there are several on here that forget more in a day on cell phone software than I will ever know.

That said, here is my situation...

We bought into T-Mobile not knowing that there was no service at our house back in November. After a couple of weeks, we ended up going back to Verizon with our now unlocked T-Mobile phones that are still on a payment plan.

My S20 (SM-G981U), even though it was unlocked and running a Verizon sim card always had the T-Mobile firmware on it and was working fine until a T-Mobile update came out early in the week. I think it was G981USQU2DUDA/G981UOYN2DUDA/G981USQU2DUDA and then it stopped getting any data. I did the Verizon troubleshooter (network reset blah blah blah) no dice. Verizon told me to go to one of the stores, so I did, they swapped out my sim card, still no dice. Verizon told me it's a problem with the TMB firmware update... so I went to the TMB store.

Guy at the TMB store said I need to change the firmware because the TMB S20s are different from the VZW S20s. OK, so how do I do that? He told me to look at Frija and Odin.

Several YouTube videos and long reads later, I have successfully installed my first SM-G981U with SCS USC firmware, and I have attempted to install different versions of SM-G981U1 VZW firmwares with no success. The USC version that I have installed successfully did not solve the problem. Still no data, still has T-Mobile startup.

Any advice on what to try? Or since I am still making payments on this phone, but it is unlocked, am I not going to be able to change to anything that will run VZW?

Is this a hardware issue?

Please help!

TIA

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC!
So reading your post let me see if I got this correct.

You have a TMobile Carrier version s20 , now you still owe payments but how did you get it unlocked ? Do you still use TMobile service ?

anych

Jan 21, 2017
Visit site
Hello. For your needs required download Odin prince comsey 3.14.1. In the forum have a topic, in which it is explained all. Just now can't find it. Search the forum, several posts below have a similar topic. If you don't find something, I'll look for it later. But the main thing is that it will not work with the ordinary Odin, must download exactly this one - Odin prince comes 3.14.1. I had a similar problem with S20 Ultra and Verizon firmware, but in this forum finally find a solution :)

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hello. For your needs required download Odin prince comsey 3.14.1. In the forum have a topic, in which it is explained all. Just now can't find it. Search the forum, several posts below have a similar topic. If you don't find something, I'll look for it later. But the main thing is that it will not work with the ordinary Odin, must download exactly this one - Odin prince comes 3.14.1. I have a similar problem with S20 Ultra and Verizon firmware, but in this forum finally find a solution :)
Ahh , I remember helping you with Odin:)

NiceTeeth1313

May 28, 2021
Visit site
So, using Odin3 ver3.14.1 I was able to flash the latest version of SM-G981U1 VZW. I could not find a VZW firmware for the SM-G981U. Its booting now, looks like it is working but it is factory reset, no biggie.
Does it matter that I used a SM-G981U1 instead of a SM-G981U?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So, using Odin3 ver3.14.1 I was able to flash the latest version of SM-G981U1 VZW. I could not find a VZW firmware for the SM-G981U. Its booting now, looks like it is working but it is factory reset, no biggie.
Does it matter that I used a SM-G981U1 instead of a SM-G981U?
Use this firmware for going unlocked which I recommend , it will factory reset first time and will need prince comsey Odin. SM-G981U1
Download frija firmware tool to your PC and prince comsey Odin from XDA site and flash

NiceTeeth1313

May 28, 2021
Visit site
Use this firmware for going unlocked which I recommend , it will factory reset first time and will need prince comsey Odin. SM-G981U1
Download frija firmware tool to your PC and prince comsey Odin from XDA site and flash

Yes, the 3.14.1 worked. Seems everything is back to normal.
Thanks for your help!

xblacklegend

Jun 2, 2023
Visit site
Hello, i knw this thread seems old, but i just got the GS20 (G981U), I'm using the phone here in Nigeria, i guess it's unlocked bcos it works with any of our network provider

i have some few issues,
the IMEI(eSIM) is grayed out in the About Phone section,
*#06# gives the two IMEI numbers including the EID number and yet the device do not support dual sam,
there is no support for eSIM (no sim card manager option),

The Big Q.

Can i flash a G981U1 firmware into the G981U device ?...if so will the eSIM start working ?