T-Mobile Music Freedom

on1200s

Sep 5, 2015
Visit site
Curious... Anyone know how Music Freedom works? Are they just looking at the data usage by each mobile app? Or are they actually filtering through the data requests?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Their system knows the IP / ports / servers that the music services use. When data travels via those routes - it doesn't count it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's also why T-Mobile has to add in a service rather than just blanket allow... Every service does things a little different. They work with the service to determine what traffic will be exempt, then add it into the list.

theantichick

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I posted this on a thread from January, just re-posting in case it helps anyone.

I had been using Google Music streaming on T-Mobile since the middle of last month. Last month it rode me close to but not over my limit, but I just got a message for this month that I'm over and have a couple of weeks left in my billing cycle. So I chatted support and was given this info:

For Google Music, there is a setting to cache music while playing, it is checked by default. It must be unchecked and all cache for the app cleared (in android settings/apps) for the stream to not count against your usage. You also have to have a certain version level for Google Music and Google Play Services (didn't write down the version numbers, but it's several back from the current), and only use the app, don't try to stream through a browser.

Hope this helps.

elcheapodeluxe

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a T-Mobile rep tell me in store that Music Freedom is only available on plans over 3gb. I pointed out that I thought this was the case for BingeOn, but I thought all Simple Choice plans (even the 2gb) supported Music Freedom. He said no - you need 3gb or above (so effectively the $65/mo 6gb plan). I said thanks, finished my activation, and went home to verify. Could find no such stipulation, but the text is slightly ambiguous: "Every qualifying Simple Choice plan comes with: Binge On, Data Stash, Music Freedom". Obviously Binge On is not available on every Simple Choice, so the "qualifying" qualifier is at work in there - but I still couldn't find any stipulation that it is 3gb or above for Music Freedom, anywhere. I'm hoping he's just poorly informed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez