Can you avoid using your 4G data limit by switching to EDGE?

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I have a question. I just switched from regular T-Mo with truly unlimited everything to Walmart Family Mobile because with my associate discount I only pay $26.72 per month versus over $75 per month. My plan is unlimited talk, text, and 5 GB soft cap data. I have only 7 days left in my billing cycle and have used 2.75 GB so far, so my monthly usage is probably around 4 GB.

My question is if I switch my data signal to EDGE while I'm simply browsing web pages and not streaming nor downloading anything, will usage still count against my high speed limit? Also, is the throttle basically down to EDGE speeds?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
To my knowledge I don't think so. I would think it would still count and once at the limit it would then force Edge versus it being an option.

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
In my experience yes. When I first got TMO, I had signal issues at my office. Per TMO's instruction, I changed my phone to Edge only for a week to see if my signal issues were solved. During this time, my data was still counting according to TMO's site.

boogas8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm fabulous switch to edge it will not count towards your data. I used to do it all the time on T-Mobile before I had more data.