Quandry - iPad 4 or Note 3?

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I thought I'd ask all you Note guru's to see what you'd do if you were in my position since you have experience with the Note 3. This past Saturday, I received an iPad 4 64GB Wifi/Cellular Verizon as a gift. I recently upgraded from the S2 to the S4. I have to say, I love the S4. Seriously amazing phone. That said, I played around with this iPad for a few days and it's really amazing too. The big issue is, I'm stuck with wifi for it because it's Verizon and I'm on AT&T and also because I refuse to pay AT&T any more $$$ for another data plan. Good grief though, this iPad is incredible. Not very portable, but an incredibly user friendly tool.

I don't want to carry a laptop, cell phone and tablet. Ridiculous to me, sooo, I was thinking I'd sell the iPad and return my S4 for the Note 3. My S4's been glitching off and on; getting stuck, hanging. GPS locks on better than it did with the S2, but it's still inconsistent. Naturally, it won't lock on when I've needed it most, only to lock on once I figured out where I needed to go. Murphy's Law. This has all been irritating me since I barely have anything on the phone.

So, how do you all like your Note 3? I like the idea of a phablet...no additional data plans, very portable, S Pen. Do you appreciate your Note 3 more than you would a free wifi tablet?

Thanks for any guidance. All opinions welcome!

Last edited:

dragoro

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I really like my note 3. I've had tablets but could never be bothered to use em because they are too big to carry around. When I need that kin of power I bring my laptop. Note 3 is lightweight yet big enough to surf and stuff on.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, size-wise, the iPad is quite a pain for me to manage. It works best on a table... hmm, just like my laptop..lol. I can see myself dropping it for sure. How is the gps with google maps navigation? Do you use the pen much? Thanks for chiming in.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Both the Note 3 and the iPad are great devices. I think I would keep the iPad though. You should be able to tether to it from your S4. While the Note 3 is great and useful, once the novelty wears off you may appreciate the iPad and S4 combination more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

BeRich

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 and once I got my Note 2, I never used the iPad. The same goes since I've had my Note 3. The Note 3's screen is big enough and the battery lasts long enough to suffice not carrying a tablet around.

redrover69

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I had an iPad and got the S4. After playing with the S4 I upgraded to note 3.

I dumped the iPad. Just kinda seemed like a waste for me since the note and the ipad just were on 2 different pages all the time with this one had these apps this one had those apps.

Plus the Samsung stuff can do so much more!!!!!

Ive been an iDevice person since iPhone 3s. I sold my iPhone 5 never looked back. If you decide you want a tablet, Sell the iPad. Get the Samsung note 10" 2014 edition. At least you have the note 3 and the 10" note

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Both the Note 3 and the iPad are great devices. I think I would keep the iPad though. You should be able to tether to it from your S4. While the Note 3 is great and useful, once the novelty wears off you may appreciate the iPad and S4 combination more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

I can see your point, of course. It's an amazing piece of equipment. Wouldn't I have to pay more $$$ for tethering? I have unlimited data from AT&T which, as you know, is not really unlimited.

<edit> The iPad is just a bit smaller than my laptop so, they're both equally as bulky to carry around. However, I can produce a magazine on my laptop if I need to. I can't do that on the iPad because all my sw is PC based. I'm not sure the iPad can handle heavy graphics. Could I tether my laptop the way I would tether the iPad?

Thank you...

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I have an iPad 2 and once I got my Note 2, I never used the iPad. The same goes since I've had my Note 3. The Note 3's screen is big enough and the battery lasts long enough to suffice not carrying a tablet around.

Yep...that's my line of thought. I left for the store and looked at the iPad and then looked at my phone and thought it was too much trouble to lag the iPad around.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I can see your point, of course. It's an amazing piece of equipment. Wouldn't I have to pay more $$$ for tethering? I have unlimited data from AT&T which, as you know, is not really unlimited.

<edit> The iPad is just a bit smaller than my laptop so, they're both equally as bulky to carry around. However, I can produce a magazine on my laptop if I need to. I can't do that on the iPad because all my sw is PC based. I'm not sure the iPad can handle heavy graphics. Could I tether my laptop the way I would tether the iPad?

Thank you...

Yes, you should be able to just fine.

G2

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
There is a widget that will let you turn on tethering. You get the alert prompt telling you that you need to call ATT to enable tethering. All you do is press the home button without clicking any boxes in the alert pop up. Tethering will still be active and work just fine. Not saying you will not get a call from ATT at some point. Who knows. Maybe you will, maybe you will not. Could always root it then and remove all the ATT bloatware and nannyware by installing a vanilla 4.3 rom.

I have just read all of this, never tried it myself. Do some research on this website and you will find lots of threads about tethering.

Andronote3

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
True! but there's one problem with that, You can't flash any roms to AT&T's note 3 yet, locked bootloader. We need to wait for the XDA devs to unlock it.

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I just got my note 3 about 5 days ago. Also recently purchased an iPad Mini retina., which I was going to use in conjunction with my iPhone. Its was a pain lugging 2 devices. I can tell you after just five days using the Note 3 I've already requested the return authorization and I plan to send me iPad back.

IPads are great devices there's no doubt about it. However having a single device with a 5.7 screen has given me the best of both worlds. The note 3 is incredible device and so much more capable than the iPhone. Love It!

I also own a MacBook Pro retina 13 inch and so if I need a computer I'll just bring it on those days. Which most days I really don't need.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk HD

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Note 3 is amazing but still not a tablet. Actually it sold me on the Note 10.1

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 7...or 2. All the issues I had (touchscreen) are completely corrected in 4.4. It makes this a really nice piece of kit at a great price. Thank you Google.

N7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non