Samsung Infuse

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Infuse yesterday, and I'm now getting a moment to play with it.

Not bad thus far, although I'm nervous about the battery life. I also bought a Platinum Case from Best Buy. For love or money, I now can't get it off! LOL

Priceless really. Anyway, I have the basic apps installed. But, wondering what is a MUST have app?

estebanj

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I too had the Platinum case from BB (blue) and it was really hard to remove. Basically a lot of strength until the 2 halves finally came apart. It helped when I used one of those soft kitchen grippers.

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
No, because we're getting gingerbread before the end of the month, and it will have battery optimizations that you previously could only get via custom roms...

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Samsung Infuse yesterday, and I'm now getting a moment to play with it.
Priceless really. Anyway, I have the basic apps installed. But, wondering what is a MUST have app?

Must have app(s)? Here's my list of -must- have apps lol I can't live without Animated Widget. For me, it's worth the price. It allows you to place contact shortcut widgets on any screen. You touch a widget and up pops whatever contact information you've configured. Each one is in a circle or a square little widget with the contact's picture in it. I have several, one for local police, highway patrol, autoclub and even 911 (I just found a cool 911 logo on the Internet for the picture). Then I have several contacts I regularly communicate with. You can try it out for free.

Then there's video calling. There are several apps that can do it, though I do like Tango's interface the best. Others are skype, fringo, qik, which are commonly used.

Wifi Manager, so I can see what network I'm connected to.

No Lock, so I can stop the silly screen from locking all the time.

Beautiful Weather and Beautiful Widgets - cool animated weather wallpaper for whatever location you designate. I usually change locations all the time, just so I can see the animations because in CA, it's always sunny. lol Also has pretty nice clocks for your home screen.

Handsent for texting

Google Sky - for fun. I love aiming my Infuse into the heavens on either side of the earth to see where the constellations and planets are.

Vlingo for voice commands - searching the web, searching the phone, calling, emailing or texting people. Launching apps. It does it all.

K-9 Mail - I like the options vs stock or gmail.

Gasbuddy - good for finding the cheapest gas - user contributed info.

App2SD - don't really need this since the Infuse seems to automatically put whatever it can on the SD card.

Alarm Clock - great alarm clock with a bunch of options including a night time screensaver.

Day's Until - Couldn't live without this either. I have two important dates sitting on my home screen. One with the 30 day Costco return date if I decide to go back to my month -to-month and 90 days if I decided I want to swap the Infuse out for another phone. I really like this app.

Compass - just enjoy knowing I can always know which way I'm heading without the use of GPS.

Dropbox - a way to store videos and pictures I take when I'm on the road without filling up my phone. It's synced to my computers, so I can access any file I drop into Dropbox from any computer, anywhere.

Dolphin Browser HD - better than stock browser, for me anyway.

Go Launcher! - Customize the heck out of your screens and includes a nice scrolling app bar that is fully customizable.

Juice Defender - keep an eye on system resources - allows you to set the phone to operate at low power if you're battery is getting low.

Pics in Photo - kind of silly, but I like the option of resizing photos, framing them and writing on them if I need to.

Stopwatch -I always need a good stopwatch/timer.

VidTrim works okay as a video trimmer. I use it to trim videos for emailing.

Teamviewer - allows you to remotely control computers. I use it to support clients and to access my home computers remotely.

Tune In Radio - absolutely awesome app. I can tune in to almost anything my home radio can.

QuickOffice - for creating MS office compatible docs - powerpoint, word, excel and comes with a PDF viewer.

Ringdroid - for making custom ringtones and notification tones out of the music I have loaded on my phone.

ScreenFilter - lowers the backlight on my screen lower than stock, for nighttime viewing.

WhoIsIt - allows me to assign ringtones to certain contacts for phone, sms and mms. Google recently removed 3rd party app access to gmail, so that part of the app doesn't work anymore.

Zillow - for property searching

Wordpress - so I can easily update my blog from my phone. I haven't used it yet, so can't comment on how well it works.

Lookout Mobile Security - keeps your phone virus free (I hope:)

Google "Goggles" - use pictures you take with your phone to effect web searches.

Battery - widget than shows a percentage or number equivalent of battery power left.

Brightness Editor - allows you to set low, medium and high backlight screen brightness. Touch widget to scroll through levels.

I like the stock calendar, but I also like Business Calendar. Can't decide between the two.

Astro file explorer and My Files - I keep switching between the two. Can't decide.:)

I also use the Nasa widget because I enjoy the Hubble photographs. Amazing.

So, there you have it. I hope you'll get some ideas from what I've listed here. I'm sure others will chime in with other apps that work well for them.

Last edited:

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Tunie, thanks very much for taking the time to put this together. This is brilliant info...

With so many widgets running how do you manage to make your battery last all day?

Reactions: tunie

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Well they don't require updating so they don't really use that much juice. The display is a different story though. I've had my Infuse since 8/4. The battery didn't last as lomg then as it does now. I'm getting about 10 hours on the battery but, I don't have BW live weather wallpapers running and other power intensive apps like wifi scanning and frequent email polling. There's a great aquarium.app in the market. I love it, but I don't leave it running.

When the gingerbread update comes out the battery will last longer too. Glad to help. Don't forget to hit the thanks button on my reply if I was helpful to you. I know, I'm shameless :) lol

Eileen89

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
No, because we're getting gingerbread before the end of the month, and it will have battery optimizations that you previously could only get via custom roms...

I wish it was coming out at the end of the month, however, from what I read on here and other Android sites, Gingerbread will not be coming to the AT&T's Infuse for a few more weeks. I'll be interested in seeing if it really does improve the battery life.

siscim23

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Why do you say that? Is it because the first week users typically spend the whole day messing with the deice? ;)

No I say that because the phone calibrates the battery and uses it more efficiently based on how you use the phone. Of course if you use it constantly it's going to have poor life no matter what. You probably notice it takes forever to charge right now, that gets better as well.