Mad crazy data hogging on new at&t phone

calguy33

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Im sorta being baptized by fire in the world of android. I have an at&t huawei impulse phone and was put on a friend's plan. Its 200 mb per month. I dont use the internet much but i do check my facebook app now and then and i use the yahoo instant messenger.

Well im getting data overages like every day for 200 mb and my friend got a $200 bill. So i am completely freaking out over this. What the devil is going on with my phone.

I dont download or stream video or music AT ALL. I rarely use my email account. I dont use any of the google apps like directions or any of that. Im at the point to where i wont download an update.

I do use the yahoo and ebuddy im apps. Could these be hogging data? 200 mb worth??!! i do check my facebook now and again on the facebook app. Could yahoo weather app be draining data?

But its like every morning i get a new message of death that ive gone over 200 mb.

Others on the plan are not using nearly this amount and use it more liberally tban i do. m. My friend has an iphone and regularly uses the google appa and her email and hardly uses data. So what the devil is happening? i dont wanna lose a friend over this. Earlier i called the at&t shop about it and they suggested i get a program about closing apps called advanced taksk killer but tbat seemed to drain battery life.

So i called at&t and the guy seemed to think that yahoo im and facebook could be draining data but 200 mb worth? And then wanted to sell me their 2 gb plan well npt an option now.

So far ive switched off background data and that demand thing. And in wireless and network settinga found where i can switch off data enabled altogether. But short of this
What can i do to keep it from killing my data. I cannot be using that much data. HELP lol. For $200 in data overage woulda been nice to have a youtube vid or a nice song lol.

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you just need to be a little more proactive when it comes to your account. Why would you ignore those overage messages every day?

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
You can get apps that will monitor your data use and tell you what apps are using your data. 200MB is not very much. If you have apps that are updating your data all the time then you could easily be using a lot of data.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Have you checked your sync settings? If your worried about data use, turn off all syncing and just update manually when you need to. And yes, yahoo weather will use data. Just about everything uses data. Have you downloaded any apps? Or even looked in the app store? Data. IMO a 200mb plan is not sufficient for an Andriod phone.

calguy33

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
can you give me an idea why only using IM and facebook a few times I eating 2 gb a month or more when othersreport being able to surf websites and such and barely touch 100 mb ?? I find it curious to say the very least. as I said earlier im on a friends plan who uses the net far more than me and barely reaches 60 mb in a month yet I as m to believe that using yahoo im is gouging 2 gb? come on. somethings very wrong. I can understand if I was downloading movies or syreaming music or media but im not. I am aware that 200 is s miniscule amount. she told me not to eorry as I use the net less than she does so I didnt. I have been more "proactive" I have turned offbackg ty ound data and shut off the net entirely something I had to learn via trial error but this is ridiculous. I expect it would still ow through data if I did not use it at all if I did not seitch it off. thfe wuestion is why and why the descrepency in general when s hg e seems to be able to surf using a whopping 96%less data. something is amiss. I shouldnt have to switch off data transfer entirely to avoid this problem.

calguy33

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
@pazzo02 yeah I discovered that recently and switched that off. hopefully that helps. thanks everyone for the responses. im just really frustrated is all. other than this issue I enjoy the phone. though as a phone my old nokia was louder and clearer lol. but its quite something for one unit.

MACKSnare519

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if this is on all Android devices, but there is a data manager. Go to Options>Battery and Data Manager. And from their you can set up the "Data saver".

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 2 using Tapatalk

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Everything uses data. If it's a photo, a graphic, or has any kind of design to it, it's consuming lots of data. Even the text on a web page is data, albeit a small amount. Weather apps and widgets = data. Either set your widgets to update manually or kill them entirely. Set email (HTML emails are another big data drain) to sync every hour. Turn loading of images off.

Then, install a data usage monitor like Onavo to see what's left.

Droid3r

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
The OP is deluded. 200mb is nothing. Facebook updating..weather ...please....that would consume 200mb on a daily basis. ..

Get your own contract. Ill be pissed too just like your friend.

Never allow anyone on your plan. unless its a wife and she has you on a sex strike.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Just to offer a different view, I have had my android phone for almost 2 years now and have never had an overage on my 200mb plan. Granted, the majority of my day is around wifi. I work in a wifi environment and my home has wifi. However, the notion that 200mb is impossible to live inside of is not correct. Maybe for some, but not for all.

Now, can I stream pandora on a daily basis for hours at a time? No. Do I have to watch my usage when going on a trip for several days with lots of use? Yes. Would I use a whole lot more data if I had an unlimited plan? Probably. But, I haven't yet felt like my use has been severely crimped to the point I have to pay more for a higher tiered plan.

Everyone is different.

PewterL31

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I would recommended the 300mb data plan its $20 so $5 more a month for 100mb more. But like they said 200mb is easy to use up.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I would recommended the 300mb data plan its $20 so $5 more a month for 100mb more. But like they said 200mb is easy to use up.

Sent from my Samsung Skyrocket

I think AT&T needs to redo that one. You would get 500MB for the same price as 3GB. They should have made the base plan at least 500MB.

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I think AT&T needs to redo that one. You would get 500MB for the same price as 3GB. They should have made the base plan at least 500MB.

Yeah, 500MB would be a nice amount for the lowest tier. That is plenty for most folks, and would take away the stress of worrying about it every month.

benny00

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi!
I had the same problem. Some apps are power hogs, gobbling up precious battery life by constantly sucking downbits over 3G connections. Cut off their supply by disabling Background Data. Go to Settings >
Accounts and Sync and deselect the checkmark
for Background Data.
This solved my problem. My data usage is back to normal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87