AT&Ts Next program

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Can someone confirm for me if I was to keep the phone for 1 to 2 years will I be able to KEEP the phone or would I have to still trade it in on order to get a new phone? Thanks.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Can someone confirm for me if I was to keep the phone for 1 to 2 years will I be able to KEEP the phone or would I have to still trade it in on order to get a new phone? Thanks.

The longer you keep the phone the more you are wasting on the ripoff program. Once you've paid it off I believe you don't have to trade it in, but by then you've already spent almost enough to have bought two phones.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
The longer you keep the phone the more you are wasting on the ripoff program. Once you've paid it off I believe you don't have to trade it in, but by then you've already spent almost enough to have bought two phones.

How so?

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
If you get a subsidy the cost of the phone is included in your monthly plan. With next you pay the same amount of someone getting a subsidy every month plus the cost of the next program.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
If you get a subsidy the cost of the phone is included in your monthly plan. With next you pay the same amount of someone getting a subsidy every month plus the cost of the next program.

How much is the next program?

scottadus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I agree,

I think the new carrier programs like next or tmobile or verizons edge is a ripoff.

If you are happy with your carrier why would you care about a contract when you save allot on purchase of a phone.

I love att. if i chose next i wouldnt have a contract but i would pay 649 for a phone over time instead of just signing the contract and pay 199

Its a no brainer.

So its all a ripoff. Just sign your contract.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I agree,

I think the new carrier programs like next or tmobile or verizons edge is a ripoff.

If you are happy with your carrier why would you care about a contract when you save allot on purchase of a phone.

I love att. if i chose next i wouldnt have a contract but i would pay 649 for a phone over time instead of just signing the contract and pay 199

Its a no brainer.

So its all a ripoff. Just sign your contract.

You got to do more research my friend :). You think that 199 is all you pay? Trust me.. They have it in the plans to get the money from you.

An example is T-Mobile.. They lowered their monthly costs since they don't do the contracts anymore and you pay for the phone. When signing a contract we always paid a down payment and then you're locked in.. But trust me carriers get the money out of you for the phone... But that's why once the payment plan came out for T-mobile they dropped the monthly plans some.. Because they don't need the extra since you are paying the monthly payments directly (or in my case you bought the phone fully so there is nothing for me to repay).

With AT&T and Verizon they simply charge you monthly like T-Mobile... But they didn't drop the monthly plans at all
So therefore you end up paying more in the end for the phone since they have that extra in the monthly cost from before... But yet you are also paying monthly for the phone.

For a video explanation of this CNET did a good one..

http://m.cnet.com/news/at-ts-next-plan-doesnt-add-up/57594012

Trust me when I say this... NO carrier wants to buy you a phone. No matter how you do it... Payment plan or contract... You pay for that phone somewhere... They aren't your friend lol :p

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
would you say NEXT just allows you to pay monthly for a phone if you don't want to pay cash or use a credit card?

LG G2 is $575 out right
with NEXT it's 20x$27 = $540

you save $35 and are not in a contract, also avoid the $35 upgrade fee. so you really save $70 over the 20 months ....

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
would you say NEXT just allows you to pay monthly for a phone if you don't want to pay cash or use a credit card?

LG G2 is $575 out right
with NEXT it's 20x$27 = $540

you save $35 and are not in a contract, also avoid the $35 upgrade fee. so you really save $70 over the 20 months ....

What about the extra $20 or so built into your monthly bill, that's supposed to for repaying the phone subsidy if you got one. You are still paying for that even without getting the subsidy. That's around $450 over two Years.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If you upgraded every year couldnt you just put a down payment down anyways or is that not allowed? (Like if you wanted to get rid of that stupid monthly fee but stay with att with no added bill.)

scottadus

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Im saying that i like att and i for the coverage and speeds i get i pay 105 a month. and If i did the next program i would be paying 120
but i have a subsidy so i pay 199.99 for the phone.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Im saying that i like att and i for the coverage and speeds i get i pay 105 a month. and If i did the next program i would be paying 120
but i have a subsidy so i pay 199.99 for the phone.

Exactly so it works for you... But others it may be cheaper. Options don't hurt.. But you can't expect everyone's situation to be like yours.

For example you pay that and love the speed of your carrier and can live with caps. I personally can't and would rather pay the $70 a month I pay (that's after taxes) for my great speeds and unlimited data on T-Mobile. Is my option the "right" one? For me yes.. For you maybe not.

Not everyone can put up 199 at once... But maybe they could do an extra 20 a month easier. In the end it's the same thing.. Just may be easier for them to do the smaller payments instead of the bulk one in order to manage other bills.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Exactly so it works for you... But others it may be cheaper. Options don't hurt.. But you can't expect everyone's situation to be like yours.

For example you pay that and love the speed of your carrier and can live with caps. I personally can't and would rather pay the $70 a month I pay (that's after taxes) for my great speeds and unlimited data on T-Mobile. Is my option the "right" one? For me yes.. For you maybe not.

Not everyone can put up 199 at once... But maybe they could do an extra 20 a month easier. In the end it's the same thing.. Just may be easier for them to do the smaller payments instead of the bulk one in order to manage other bills.

If I could not afford $200 to put down on a phone then certainly I could not afford a plan that makes me pay twice for the phone, or maybe I should not be looking at upgrading every year. That's just me though, I'm prudent like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If I could not afford $200 to put down on a phone then certainly I could not afford a plan that makes me pay twice for the phone, or maybe I should not be looking at upgrading every year. That's just me though, I'm prudent like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I guess the one way to look to look at it is for the people who also like to rent brand name furniture rather than playing for it all at one time. Do you end up spending more? Yes. Its all about options. I hope they also become smart and lower the plan but that might not be anytime soon.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
If you upgraded every year couldnt you just put a down payment down anyways or is that not allowed? (Like if you wanted to get rid of that stupid monthly fee but stay with att with no added bill.)

AT&T doesn't allow you to prepay the Next payments for one year. The additional payments would just be a bill credit that your monthly service charges would be deducted from.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
AT&T doesn't allow you to prepay the Next payments for one year. The additional payments would just be a bill credit that your monthly service charges would be deducted from.

Super Lame! This is why I will be getting on the Google Nexus devices starting later this year. Cheaper and its my phone! For less at that.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

You sure about that? Cgard I'd check with AT&T to be sure. When my gf got the S4 on T-Mobile they weren't upfront about it but she asked what if she wants to pay towards the balance on the phone more than the monthly charge added on.. The guy said don't send it with the bill (the extra cash) but come into a T-Mobile store and tell them you want to do $100 towards the phone payment or whichever and they can apply it.

AT&T may do the same.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
You sure about that? Cgard I'd check with AT&T to be sure. When my gf got the S4 on T-Mobile they weren't upfront about it but she asked what if she wants to pay towards the balance on the phone more than the monthly charge added on.. The guy said don't send it with the bill (the extra cash) but come into a T-Mobile store and tell them you want to do $100 towards the phone payment or whichever and they can apply it.

AT&T may do the same.

I have linked the thread where we are having the ongoing discussion about this on the AT&T forum, where an AT&T rep has responded. We have definitely determined that a year can't be prepaid. I am still inquiring about the entire balance being paid off early/immediately.

https://forums.att.com/t5/Wireless-...ram/td-p/3572405/jump-to/first-unread-message

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

RayMabry

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site

If you keep it for one year, you need to pay the rest of its balance off to keep it.

If you keep it for two, you'll have paid the balance off and can keep it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana