How bad's the throttling for unlimited plans?

rahxephon

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
For those of you on that legacy plan, how bad does ATT choke your speeds when you surpass the monthly allowance?

Sitting here at work with my work 4S, averaging about 0.81/0.15 mbps after a few ookla runs. :eek:

TxAndroidGuy

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Once I hit 5 GB, AT&T also slows my speeds down to less than 1 mbps download and disappointingly laughing upload. And before the throttling, the highest speeds on average are less than 10 mbsp download. I work less than a mile away from DFW International Airport though so that may have something to do with it.

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Once I hit 5 GB, AT&T also slows my speeds down to less than 1 mbps download and disappointingly laughing upload. And before the throttling, the highest speeds on average are less than 10 mbsp download. I work less than a mile away from DFW International Airport though so that may have something to do with it.

I live in the same area, and on a bad day, I get 40MBPS download speed and 10 up. Your speeds shouldn't be that slow.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It chokes you to 2g speeds. 0.3 down if you're lucky.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Att does not offer unlimited data plans.

Posted via Android Central App

He said legacy unlimited plan. People are still on those on AT&T. Sounds like they want then off those plans.

On a side note, I am on a legacy Verizon unlimited plan & get no throttling, even after 100gb's.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
He said legacy unlimited plan. People are still on those on AT&T. Sounds like they want then off those plans.

On a side note, I am on a legacy Verizon unlimited plan & get no throttling, even after 100gb's.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Yeah Verizon doesn't throttle unlimited like AT&T on their legacy plans. One of our mods used 5 TB and didn't get throttled.

HiMynameisMattyK

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I've been throttled the last 2 months and it's infuriating. The speeds are laughable. I just tested and here are my results. Luckily, I only have 4 days left in my cycle.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-04-12-59-43.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-04-12-59-43.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 84

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been throttled the last 2 months and it's infuriating. The speeds are laughable. I just tested and here are my results. Luckily, I only have 4 days left in my cycle.

Ouch :(.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
My results are like the rest of yours, after 5gb I'm throttled down to like .5mbps. I have google ways to get around the throttling and there are a bunch of methods (changing apns, dial codes, switching to an iphone data plan and then back), none of which worked for me. Anyone else have any luck?

Also, I've read on a couple forums that if you can get a cool rep to switch you to a business unlimited plan you won't get throttled.....haven't tried this one yet.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
My results are like the rest of yours, after 5gb I'm throttled down to like .5mbps. I have google ways to get around the throttling and there are a bunch of methods (changing apns, dial codes, switching to an iphone data plan and then back), none of which worked for me. Anyone else have any luck?

Also, I've read on a couple forums that if you can get a cool rep to switch you to a business unlimited plan you won't get throttled.....haven't tried this one yet.

Unlimited data is just not a reality anymore. I'd say cut it loose and get the 10 gig plan. Unless its to much money for ya. How much data does one need? I know people whom use 35+ gigs a month but I just can't wrap my head around it for a avg user.

Sophos

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Unlimited data is just not a reality anymore. I'd say cut it loose and get the 10 gig plan. Unless its to much money for ya. How much data does one need? I know people whom use 35+ gigs a month but I just can't wrap my head around it for a avg user.

Yeah, honestly I don't NEED unlimited. I have WiFi both at work and at home, it's just the fact I pay for it and I hate being throttled.

I play with my food

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, honestly I don't NEED unlimited. I have WiFi both at work and at home, it's just the fact I pay for it and I hate being throttled.

I play with my food

I see where your coming from. But the unlimited data plan has always been like this correct? There for its not new other than the fact people are just using more data due to better speeds and what not. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I see where your coming from. But the unlimited data plan has always been like this correct? There for its not new other than the fact people are just using more data due to better speeds and what not. :)

The throttle wasn't there before they got rid of unlimited. A little bit after switching to limited plans is when they started throttling unlimited.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

And now, if you upgrade at AT&T, you have to choose a new plan. They won't let you hang onto the unlimited data plan.

From Gizmodo:

dlhdhfhoa66oqyzm4vsp.png

anon(92475)

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
And now, if you upgrade at AT&T, you have to choose a new plan. They won't let you hang onto the unlimited data plan.

From Gizmodo:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...ogressive,q_80,w_320/dlhdhfhoa66oqyzm4vsp.png

They say that all the time. All it takes is a call to AT&T Customer Service and when the person on the phone realizes they can't keep you on unlimited, you get transferred to a supervisor who fixes it.

It's happened to me several times. They are always ready and willing to fix it. Granted, I am a business customer, so I don't know about normal CS.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo