This exchange was face-palm worthy...

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to get a simple answer...

AT&T: Hello! How may I help you today?
AT&T: Our agents are currently assisting other customers. Please wait and the next available agent will assist you.
Talderon: Hello. I want to get a Note 7. I have a Galaxy S7 Edge. I have a line that has roughly $200 owed to pay off a handset. With the trade in value of the S7, would I be able to pay off that device and get a Note 7?
AT&T Rep: Hi Talderon
AT&T Rep: Nice to meet you, I hope you are having a great day so far.
Talderon: Doing well, just working as always. How are you?
AT&T Rep: Oh great to hear that :)
AT&T Rep: So far so good thanks for asking
AT&T Rep: To ensure I get you the best option, I'd like to ask you a few questions to better understand your needs.
Talderon: k
AT&T Rep: Just to confirm, did you have a note 7 ?
Talderon: No. I want to get one.
AT&T Rep: Oh
AT&T Rep: Talderon the Note 7 are only available for exchange at the store
AT&T Rep: They are not available yet to purchasing them
Talderon: I know, but I am wondering for when they are available.
AT&T Rep: In this moment we do not have this information
Talderon: You can't tell me in general if I am able to pay off another device with the trade in credit from a trade in?
AT&T Rep: Just to confirm, do you have an iPhone 6 or newer to trade in?
Talderon: Samsing Galaxy S7 Edge
AT&T Rep: For Samsungs we do not have offer for trade in
AT&T Rep: Talderon in this moment we have an offer that if you trade in an iPhone 6 or newer you can get an Iphone 7 for free
Talderon: I am not interested in an iPhone. I never said anything about an iPhone. I don't want an iPhone. What I am looking for is this:
Talderon: Can I trade in my S7 Edge
Talderon: Put that credit to paying off a device
Talderon: and get a new phone?
AT&T Rep: Oh thanks for the clarification
AT&T Rep: Of course!
AT&T Rep: Let me send you a link where you can check how much you can get for it
AT&T Rep: You can start the buyback process here.
Talderon: I already know, I can get $275 for it. :)
Talderon: Thanks, that is all I wanted to know
AT&T Rep: Oh no problem
AT&T Rep: Is there anything else that I can help with? I want to be absolutely sure that I have taken care of you today!
Talderon: Nope, thanks!

A few questions...

• When did I EVER say anything about an iPhone?
  • Did this rep even READ my question?
  • I know the Note 7's are not available, but was using it as an example (see comment above)
  • Are we sure these are not Chat Bots?

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
They're not ChatBots, but they do have a very specific, can-response-filled handbook to follow. So that's why they do end up sounding robotic.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Nothing there that is surprising. You inquired about an upgrade. The product you wanted was not available. They offered you a product that was available. Standard sales 101.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I really just wanted to reach through the internet and shake this person... >.<

Although, reading back, kind of funny. :D

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Nothing there that is surprising. You inquired about an upgrade. The product you wanted was not available. They offered you a product that was available. Standard sales 101.

Understandable. Question I have, was my initial question really that difficult to understand? LOL!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also, and not to make less of their efforts (I've dealt with both good and bad reps), you have to remember that most of the time these are overseas agents whose first language isn't English, so they might be getting lost in translation sometimes.

For instance:
AT&T Rep: Talderon the Note 7 are only available for exchange at the store
AT&T Rep: They are not available yet to purchasing them
Talderon: I know, but I am wondering for when they are available.
AT&T Rep: In this moment we do not have this information
Talderon: You can't tell me in general if I am able to pay off another device with the trade in credit from a trade in?

From the highlighted sentence, I can understand what you were asking because I know what you meant now, but I can totally see WHY the rep might have understood that as you asking when the Note 7 would be sold again. If I'm not mistaken, most AT&T call centers are in Mexico, and that very sentence if you do a literal translation (word for word), does translate to the Spanish equivalent of asking 'but I am wondering, when would they be available?' (Pero me pregunto ¿Para cuándo están disponibles?).

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member