Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rooting different for Telus?

I have been looking into rooting my Telus Fascinate and I was wondering if it was a different procedure as the Verizon version?

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

rooting process should be the same but if you side load z4root from here it should work just fine. it works for all Galaxy S phones.

after you sideload this, go to app drawer, open z4root. hit permanent and you are done
    if you encounter any problems please let the forum know
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

thanks droidx and OP for posting. I was scared to ...lol (kidding of course)

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Quote Originally Posted by sdmf View Post
    thanks droidx and OP for posting. I was scared to ...lol (kidding of course)
    Don't be . I going to root my fascinate again (when I had the eclair running, my phone was rooted). But I going to do it old school this time.

Which way is "better"....old school or this z4root thing?

thanks

edit - i searched the market from phone and there is nothing for "z4root"....strange yah?
    Last edited by sdmf; 01-10-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Which way is "better"....old school or this z4root thing?

thanks

edit - i searched the market from phone and there is nothing for "z4root"....strange yah?

I used z4root before and it worked for me. It was convinient and easy to use. However I want to learn how to root the "old school way" in case something goes wrong and I will know at what stage or step the error occured while I am rooting.

As for z4root it self I found it xda (I am a member myself) and I used androidcentral's own side loding app.

i rooted already and used z4. obviously easy,. I just downloaded the current version from 4shared.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

i rooted already and used z4. obviously easy,. I just downloaded the current version from 4shared.
    Yes that is why i mentioned earlier in the post to sideload it and get it from the link i provided, because it is not available in the market

Good on you for getting it to work

Yah, before I research roms/kernals etc on this site, does being at 2.2 have any effect on what I do now?

I dont want to install anything only to find out I shouldnt have because Im on OS 2.2

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Yah, before I research roms/kernals etc on this site, does being at 2.2 have any effect on what I do now?

I dont want to install anything only to find out I shouldnt have because Im on OS 2.2
    i dont know on all the details of Roms for the telus fascinate, but yes read things carefully because most roms need to be on certain builds of android and also the radio's in the phones are different so im sure you dont want to go putting in full packages because it bay change your radio settings.

ok cool. thanks bud, appreciate it

I want to look into this stupidfast kernal etc. hopefully it will work for me
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Thanks for looking into this for me...I was slightly apprehensive about rooting my phone but thanks to the forums I feel more comfortable about my decision. I am leaning towards rooting it...I just want to find out as much info as I can so I don't brick my phone...that would make me very upset.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by AnitaDarlin View Post
    Thanks for looking into this for me...I was slightly apprehensive about rooting my phone but thanks to the forums I feel more comfortable about my decision. I am leaning towards rooting it...I just want to find out as much info as I can so I don't brick my phone...that would make me very upset.
    I dont know of any bricks that have happened through rooting but maybe ill make a poll on it
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

So I guess the z4root app has not been updated for Froyo? I was wondering if anyone knew of any other app or process to root with 2.2?

I got my Telus Fascinate last week. Updated to Froyo via Kies and followed this post on xda (using One Click Root)

Using Quadrant (free benchmark app in market), I started with an initial score of 1250. After rooting and using One Click Lag Fix (also from market) my score shot up to a little over 2000, and the phone is noticeably faster.

Some people seem reported to have problems using One Click Root, but it rooted my phone in one try.

Hmph i just ran this quandrant benchmark tool. Ran option full benchmark with all apps off and.only scored a 953 wonder what my.next step should be

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

Are you on stock 2.2? Are you rooted? Did you apply the OCLF (One Click Lag Fix)?

Hey there im 2.2 and rooted thats all. I used z4rootto do it. .

Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

I found that after rooting my phone after FroYo update, it was pretty sluggish. Install and run RyanZA's OCLF 2.0 from the app store.

Quoted from the link above:

"Open the app. SuperUser should say "hey, I see something trying to use me!"
    allow it.
    In the program, install EXT tools
    Then, install lag fix 2.2"

Reboot then re-run quadrant.

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts

Does the one click lag fix just have something in it that makes your bench mark higher or does it actually speed up your phone. I have heard rumours of lag fix's just "making" your benchmark score higher. Also is it safe? i have also heard of some lag fix's causing system crashes? Does anyone know if this helps for battery life?

Thanks, Mike.

I've also heard that some people claim that its just a placebo effect and it only gives you a high quadrant score. I can only give you feedback based on my own experience:

1. My quadrant score did shoot up and for all I know, the lag caused by FroYo root install disappeared when I rebooted my phone (necessary step after applying OCLF) and had nothing to do with OCLF. But I'd rather keep OCLF regardless, since I felt difference in performance, placebo or otherwise.

2. I would rank this app having as much risk as rooting your phone.

3. Heard about that. I followed the steps listed in the link I posted above step by step starting from when I installed FroYo. Nothing crashed my phone, but your mileage may vary.

4. Theres some extra tweaks within the app that change the disk scheduler and how the phone handles ram (minfree). You can't concretely measure the benefits of these tweaks on battery life. What I do know is I get longer battery life from when I first got my fascinate. See 1 regarding placebo effect.

Japots - I just installed Ryanz OCLF 2.0 etc from the market, HOWEVER, when I go into it, all options are "unavailable" and says I need to be rooted and gives me the option to force anyway.

I rooted (or thought i did) the other day using z4root. Just tried Z4root again and it seems to run then closes down on me. with No further messages.

Any quick easy way I can tell if Im currently rooted or not? Actually I'll research that now I guess. Strange though...

eek- now my phones acting weird....everythings responding very slow, and when I try to re-open z4root, it just gives me a quick vibration and doesnt do anything....lol. Whats goin on here...

Global Posts
    2,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

Japots - I just installed Ryanz OCLF 2.0 etc from the market, HOWEVER, when I go into it, all options are "unavailable" and says I need to be rooted and gives me the option to force anyway.

I rooted (or thought i did) the other day using z4root. Just tried Z4root again and it seems to run then closes down on me. with No further messages.

Any quick easy way I can tell if Im currently rooted or not? Actually I'll research that now I guess. Strange though...

eek- now my phones acting weird....everythings responding very slow, and when I try to re-open z4root, it just gives me a quick vibration and doesnt do anything....lol. Whats goin on here...
    It look like there is an app that giving you a problem. Try to do a hard reboot (batt pull) to see if everything works well after that. The last time I used z4root on my fascinate, I have to do a batt pull to make sure everything is fine.

Just tried again. Appears I wasnt root after all. Here's what I went through just now.

Rebooted (twice)
    Uninstalled z4root
    Downloaded another version of z4root
    turned off antivirus (lookout)
    Resintalled z4root and tried again to root
    results=runs for about 10-15 seconds then kicks me out to the apps screen.

Any other ideas? I'll try to remove lookout, pull battery and run again. I've also confirmed that USB debugging is on

Welp - no workie for me. confirming z4root shuts down and kicks me back to my apps pages while it was in this stage "acquiring root ..." it sits at this stage for maybe 10-15 seconds then, phone vibrates once, and closes.

oh well I'm not too worried about anything yet. I'll get'er firgured out
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast