$120 off at Costco... any way to get this back?

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
It is unknown to me, from what i got reading their info you can return up to 90 days not exchange... Thats the only reason i would ever return the charge is to get the Bionic. I also heard about a 14 day window in addition to multiple people who said it took forever for costco to process the return leaving you without a phone and again from what i understand having used your upgrade past 14 days. I could be wrong, but at least I KNOW i have 30 with Best Buy and i read multiple places that its an easy exchange process. To each their own, but i dont think that a little reticence towards costco is all that bad.

Here it is on their site:

Returns and Exchanges

Call or email for return authorization and a prepaid label. After receiving the label, send the item back. Upon receipt at our distribution center, you will be refunded, this process takes approximately 1-2 weeks.

Costco's return policy for any Wireless Advocates merchandise is 90 days from date of purchase. This includes all wireless accessories and handsets. Within 90 days you may receive a refund on the handset itself; however you will still be responsible for any applicable early termination fees if service is canceled after the Trial Period. The Trial Period varies by carrier and State. See the carrier Cancellation Policy for details.

The part in bold refers to the returning the phone for a refund, I was told by the manager of the kiosk that since I would be returning the promotional Charge my refund would be for the promotional price of the charge, I could then select from other offerings but would have to pay the difference if they are more expensive (the current promotional prices of the phone I choose). If it was just an exchange policy they would not state that a refund would be given. And if it was just an exchange it wouldn't be any extra value proposition from Costco because if you just wanted to exchange a defective phone you could just do so at a VZW service center under the phones warranty. Hope this helps others.

JiNaMoN

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
hey do you guys know how setting up a verizon plan at costco affects getting a corporate discount if you have one? would the people at costco set it up or would you have to call verizon later?

ellje

May 7, 2011
Visit site
hey do you guys know how setting up a verizon plan at costco affects getting a corporate discount if you have one? would the people at costco set it up or would you have to call verizon later?

My existing discount transferred, no questions asked.

chillenj60

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh my god, the fiasco I just went through with Wireless Advocates because they screwed up. I received my Charge today and the phone wouldn't activate. The instructions in the box said nothing but to dial *228 to activate... obviously that's incorrect. Booted the phone up with the SIM card in and it said activation failed. Called up Wireless Advocates and they said that the SIM card that they shipped with the phone was "retired". The rep at Verizon didn't even know what the hell that meant. Wireless Advocates are shipping out a replacement SIM that should arrive on Monday. When I asked why they couldn't rush it out (being that THEY screwed up... what if I was a business customer leaving the country and needed my device TODAY?), they said they couldn't ship the device out overnight for Saturday delivery. When I asked the customer service lady why, she simply said "I'm sorry sir, I can't do that."?same response I got when I then asked her why, specifically, she can't. Sounded like a broken record.

Needless to say I'm pissed. WTF Wireless Advocates, I'll never purchase through you again. Anybody know how to access the device without it being activated? -.-

No, you need a SIM to use it. Unfortunately, if you do a *228 it messes up the SIM in some cases and disables it - what they referred to as retired.

That being said, go to any Verizon corporate store and they can activate and give you a SIM for free, on the spot.

bl4ke360

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I heard that this deal ended on June 28, can anyone else confirm this? I was planning to get the charge at costco tomorrow but if I have to pay $300 for it then I don't know...

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
No, you need a SIM to use it. Unfortunately, if you do a *228 it messes up the SIM in some cases and disables it - what they referred to as retired.

That being said, go to any Verizon corporate store and they can activate and give you a SIM for free, on the spot.

I was in Verizon when this all went down, and the reps all said they couldn't give me a new SIM until I activated a SIM with an ESN number that matched my device, since I didn't yet have any LTE devices on my line. I had to wait for Costco to send me a new one, and then had to wait about an hour and a half in Verizon while they dummied out SIM cards to transfer the device over to my line from the one it was purchased on. Also, *228 was never dialed. The SIM card was broken without any action on our part. The device doesn't even let you do anything until after you activate it via the automated setup program, so I couldn't've dialed *228 if I wanted to xD. Anyway, everything is fixed now (thank god). Although ill never be buying through Costco again xD.

bl4ke360

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I saw in this thread: Verizon 4G LTE Droid Charge cellphone $179 w/ accessories @ costco B&M. Get it before unlimited data ends july 7th with verizon. - Page 2 - Slickdeals.net

"You sure it ends on June 28th? The coupon book shows that the deal is over on July 3rd"

- "I called them and I got the same 6/28 end date."

Is this true? Why would it end on 6/28 if the coupon says July 3rd? Should I go to Costco and try anyway?
If for some reason the deal did end already, are there any alternatives to getting the Charge at $200 or less? Amazon seems to have it at $200 but I would rather have an in-store option.

thebear

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I saw in this thread: Verizon 4G LTE Droid Charge cellphone $179 w/ accessories @ costco B&M. Get it before unlimited data ends july 7th with verizon. - Page 2 - Slickdeals.net

"You sure it ends on June 28th? The coupon book shows that the deal is over on July 3rd"

Is this true? Why would it end on 6/28 if the coupon says July 3rd? Should I go to Costco and try anyway?
If for some reason the deal did end already, are there any alternatives to getting the Charge at $200 or less? Amazon seems to have it at $200 but I would rather have an in-store option.
I just ordered it on their website late last night and it was still 179. It just automatically took off the $120 coupon. I am not even a member of Costco. I sure hope the order gets processed and shipped.

bl4ke360

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I just went ahead and got the Charge from a verizon store, it's a great phone especially the oled screen. The blacks are literally pitch black especially when your in a dark room. The black levels of this phone while turned on are just as dark as the screen while turned off. LCD is now a joke haha I will never be going back. To me, this alone is worth the premium price over the other verizon phones.
Also I wouldn't recommend the verizon screen protectors, I'm now realizing what a ripoff ($25) they are, they leave bad smudges/fingerprints and has a rainbow effect if you look at it from certain angles. I wonder if they would let me return them?

Last edited:

urdaddi

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I just purchased my Droid Charge yesterd (6/30) and the price was $179.00.

Xaldian

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up my Charge from Costco earlier today, this was my first time dealing with Costco's wireless department. One word of advice, Costco has terrible reception and activation took a ridiculous amount of time so plan to kill some time. Overall though, I'm loving the phone and would deal with them again.

Plucknbach

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Charge at Costco 2 weeks and 2 days ago... and now I see a discount coupon showed up in the mail for $120 off, starting June 6th.. Any chance they'll honor that price for me, or am I hosed?

For those of you considering picking up the Charge... might as well wait the few days until this sale starts. I believe BB will match prices, as well... but you'll have to check on this.
You have 30 days to return the phone but you only have 14 days to reject the new 2year contract. If you're within 30 days, you should be able to get the $120.00 discoun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter