1st battery pull freeze!

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm a little freaked out, last night I was playing with my N3 and decided to do an AnTuTu performance test and part way through the screen went black, the back started to get hot and there was no way to shut it down. So I quickly pulled the case, back cover and battery.
I reassembled it and it works just fine now.
Any explanation on what might have caused this?
Thanks!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Probably a process gone awry during the performance test. Bear in mind that these tests usually push your device to its limits, so the 'getting hot' part is quite expected. The lock-up, however, is not. If your phone is already working fine and, besides the test, it's not giving you any trouble, I wouldn't think much of it and just keep enjoying this super phone.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for posting a selfie while you were still freaked out. Now we believe you. :)

Good reaction to pull the battery.

I hope you don't have a long term issue. I used AnTuTu a few times for fun. Sometimes it gets around 26000, most times 36000 and don't know the reason.
I read on AC these scores are not really to be taken seriously. Nice to watch the graphics towards the end.
Only game I have is Real Racing 3 which is impressive for the graphics and the gyro controls.

I guess you will be recommended to clear data and uninstall AnTuTu, and clear cache in Recovery. Then maybe try it again if you're feeling brave.

- So Android doesn't have a warning and a cut switch when things get too hot. That's not right! -

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Nah, you're perfectly fine. Those apps take the processors/memory/phone to the MAX. There is nothing to worry about. If you want to get the best scores possible, make sure to close out all running apps and clear memory.

One other thing to Note (no pun intended or pun intended :D) is that you had a case on the phone. When you are doing something very intensive on on a phone it will heat up substantially. With a case on, the phone may not have a place to dissipate the heat and the phone will go into a fail safe mode. This may be something that could've happened in your case (no pun intended or maybe pun intended :DDD)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting a selfie while you were still freaked out. Now we believe you. :)

I hope you don't have a long term issue. I used AnTuTu a few times for fun. Sometimes it gets around 26000, most times 36000 and don't know the reason.
I read on AC these scores are not really to be taken seriously. Nice to watch the graphics towards the end.
Only game I have is Real Racing 3 which is impressive for the graphics and the gyro controls.

I guess you will be recommended to clear data and uninstall AnTuTu, and clear cache in Recovery. Then maybe try it again if you're feeling brave.

- So Android doesn't have a warning and a cut switch when things get too hot. That's not right! -

They do. If the phone gets TOO hot, it shuts off immediately. The thing is the temp these processors can stand is higher that they could a few years ago, so what might make you jump when it touches your hand is not necessarily life-threatening to your phone. It's just not healthy to let it run so hot for so long. But yeah, if things get to that extreme point, the phone will shut off.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They do. If the phone gets TOO hot, it shuts off immediately. The thing is the temp these processors can stand is higher that they could a few years ago, so what might make you jump when it touches your hand is not necessarily life-threatening to your phone. It's just not healthy to let it run so hot for so long. But yeah, if things get to that extreme point, the phone will shut off.

This. All processors now a day shut off if they hit a certain temperature. It's been this way on PCs for along time.. To prevent damage.

OP if you were running benchmark and it froze I wouldn't worry about it.. I'd only worry if it froze under normal conditions / use.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Got brave (or stupid) cleared everything and tried it again and got 36196 with no noticeable temperature increase. I guess I'm done.

"Size does matter!"

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
That's looking alright then. Good to learn it will shut down, as I had always assumed it would.
I have had mine in a Terrapin flip-over case since new, which has a strong plastic main casing with slits and covered by faux leather, so it's nowhere near as heat inducing as a thick rugged type case.
So I have hardly felt my phone get hot once.
Coincidentally I put my phone temporarily on the car dashboard yesterday in a car park, where the temperature through the glass was extremely high. So I was wondering how long before it would virtually melt internally. Luckily (or unluckily) we get very few of these days throughout the year; whereas in the US.....

Last edited:

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
That's looking alright then. Good to learn it will shut down, as I had always assumed it would.
I have had mine in a Terrapin flip-over case since new, which has a strong plastic main casing with slits and covered by faux leather, so it's nowhere near as heat inducing as a thick rugged type case.
So I have hardly felt my phone get hot once.
Coincidentally I put my phone temporarily on the car dashboard yesterday in a car park, where the temperature through the glass was extremely high. So I was wondering how long before it would virtually melt internally. Luckily (or unluckily) we get very few of these days throughout the year; whereas in the US.....

Thanks for the reply Madd54.
I live in Phoenix Arizona, you can not leave your phone on the dash! The high temp predicted for today is 100 degrees. :cool:

"Size does matter!"

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I had to reply again. My one visit to the US was an October. LA - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - PCH - San Fran. Beautiful, hot and sunny, just dark early - 6.30 ish.
I arrived at Williams early evening after a stop at Hoover Dam, another beautiful day. Checked in at the motel, Comfort Inn possibly, and was directed to park around the rear where my room was. Surprised there were long lumps of black gravel between cars. Got out to walk to the trunk and fell flat on my face on thick ice. WTH. Blow me down with a feather!

I know Phoenix is much further south. I should have visited there and Lake Havasu rather than Spend the last 5 days in SF. Still a great trip.
100? in early April. Hot stuff. :cool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
delgerjargal