2 wks with Atrix after leaving Blackberry Help Frustrated

plasticglock

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In k-9 mail you can cut and paste, I just checked and did it. You can also hit "select all" and then some action buttons pop up, one of which is a trash can! I think you can even put your gmail into k-9. I am thinking of consolidating all 4 that I use into it.

ccpooch

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm an idiot with this phone. I've only had it for 16 days; not nearly long enough to form an opinion. It was actually kind of funny, sending hieroglyphs instead of text messages. My client kept texting me back with LOL LOL because, not only were the texts hideous, I was complaining about the typing at the same time, only it looked kind of like this.... thesip typink is makinh met craxy Mo natteer w at i do i cant seen to hiy the rihht keys It's true, with the BB you don't even have to look at it to type. It's an amazing keyboard. Too bad it's attached to a Blackberry...
Very funny post! I am glad I am not the only one, coming from a torch I feel so lost and can't seem to type to save my life. thanks to so many who gave great advice! Trying some of the keyboard apps now.:)

Reactions: tunie

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I came from a BB 8900 to the Atrix about a month ago. Swype is the only reason I haven't tossed my Atrix out the window while trying to type :). There's a small learning curve, but it's very worthwhile. My wife can't use Swype very well, so she's staying with BB for now.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Try the app "missed reminders" for all your notifications needs if you have any. Swype is very nice for some people, try it if you can.

There's also a gingerbread keyboard available free in the market so give that a try too.

I downloaded WhoIsIt and love it. I can adjust notifications globally from this app. My current calendar is okay, though it is missing some things I need. When I get a reminder, it only allows me to sleep it or dismiss it. Where's the "Open" option so I can change the reminder alert? I'm still looking for a good calendar, though I'll try Missed Reminders. Thanks! I downloaded Gingerbread and wow, what a difference. It's still troublesome, but not nearly as much as before. Thank you! I haven't tried swype yet, but I do have it now, so I'll give it a try in the next few days. Still, God help you all if I start posting in here from my Atrix. You won't believe what you see! lol

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
In k-9 mail you can cut and paste, I just checked and did it. You can also hit "select all" and then some action buttons pop up, one of which is a trash can! I think you can even put your gmail into k-9. I am thinking of consolidating all 4 that I use into it.

Yes, I downloaded it again and have been using it since last night. I remembered what was missing. I like to be able to check off emails for deleting without having to open each one to delete it. Sometimes, I just don't have time to read everything, but this app forces me to open each and every email before I can delete it. That's why I uninstalled it the first time. Everything else is ok, but for the silly steps I have to take in order to copy/cut/paste something. I don't know if I'll keep it, but I'll try it for a few more days.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I came from a BB 8900 to the Atrix about a month ago. Swype is the only reason I haven't tossed my Atrix out the window while trying to type :). There's a small learning curve, but it's very worthwhile. My wife can't use Swype very well, so she's staying with BB for now.

I'm glad it's working for you. I'm going to try it to see how it works for me. I'll try anything to be able to type as quickly on the Atrix as I did on my BB. I just need to type fast but accomplishing that on this phone has been, well, grrrrr, for the lack of a better word.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
The virtual keyboards you just have to get used to...I used to type blind when I had a Nokia flip-phone, but the virtual keyboard does take time to get used to. The Atrix has Froyo 2.2, I have a Nexus S with Gingerbread 2.3 which as far as I know has some improvements with predictions, auto-correction, and an overall keyboard improvement. I've actually tried Swype for a couple of weeks but went back to stock Gingerbread keyboard. Once I got used to it I can pretty much type a whole paragraph in a matter of seconds - its that good! So as far as keyboards you have to either try another keyboard, wait for Gingerbread upgrade, or do some hacking to get Gingerbread unofficially (not sure if its possible on the Atrix) Sorry for the limited help, but there's just so much you can do to improve typing on a flat screen...

I've been using the Gingerbread keyboard since last night and it is, muuuuch better, though I still type like a 2 year old. It reminds me of watching my boss type on his laptop, pinkies in the air, index fingers pointed and at the ready, and there he goes, one key at a time with each index finger. It was hysterical to watch. I never thought I'd be doing the same thing! lol

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Do you have an actual Gmail account that you use for your normal email? See im not sure about using other clients because I only have Gmail. But I dont really cut, copy and paste much honestly. But I think you should try Keyboard from Android 2.3+. Ive been using that keyboard mainly because you can skin it how you want and also you can change the size of the height and width of the keys. That made it better for me cause I have bigger hands and type quicker. Plus they updated it with better performance now so I can type pretty quick without many mistakes.

You will get the hang of it, you have to break it in and get used to it. I am also a BlackBerry convert. Loved BB to death but needed a change. Now with Android im completely satisfied. It does so much more.

Yes, I'm using gmail. I was using a different client, but succumbed. I'm going to try that keyboard. It's the width that's the problem. If I can adjust that, it would be great! I downloaded the Gingerbread keyboard and it made a big difference. It's still not easy, but it's much better than it was with the other keyboard. I can't remember which one I was using because I'd tried so many. It would be nice if the Marketplace would keep a list of what I'd already downloaded and uninstalled so I wouldn't download the same apps twice. Sorry for my rant yesterday. I'd been trying and failing miserably at typing. I had the words, but couldn't make my fingers get them down. Anyway, I've been typing on my phone as much as possible to speed up the process of getting acclimated and it is working. It's been quite an adjustment, but one worth working on. This phone is amazing. Typing aside, the power of this phone is incredible....

Last edited:

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I think the keyboard just takes time getting used to like any new keyboard. When I went from my LG enV to BlackBerry 8330 it took me a bit to get used to that keyboard. Same in going to the 9630, although it was very similar.

I'm now typing faster on my Android than on my Blackberry because of the word completion.

Well, I'm sure I'll get there but for me, this keyboard will never be as amazing as the BB keyboard. This keyboard is just different since it's touch screen. BB users have spent years, in many cases, typing on a physical keyboard. Making the switch to touch screen is quite a leap so, naturally, there will be a period of acclimation.

Android is different than Blackberry, and there is a learning curve. I was so used to BlackBerry that I felt lost in the menus, and how to accomplish simple tasks. However, once you catch on you'll realize Android does everything Blackberry does, better, and more.

So far, in the limited time I've spent working with this phone, copying/cutting/pasting, email management, making phone calls, setting custom notifications, switching apps, customizing settings are all much more difficult on the Atrix than they are on a BB. The Atrix is not a business phone. It's a 'consumer' phone. For me, the Atrix will never do everything better than a Blackberry. It's just not set up for it. It's a matter of getting used to the new platform, which really can't be compared to a BB. It's a completely different interface.

The only thing I miss now is the bright LED.

Yes, I miss that too, but I understand the LED is something that didn't exist in older Android phones, so they're moving in a good direction.

One of the cool things about Android is you can add widgets, shortcuts and apps to your home screens for one touch access to a million functions. I've found it's so much easier to get things done on an Android. For example I have a shortcut on my 'Travel Screen' that displays an icon that when I touch it, Google Navigation opens and starts directing me to my house.

Agreed. I couldn't live without widgets. I have a host of widgets that make fast work of accomplishing certain tasks. A good launcher has made a big difference as well. I appreciate the extended apps bar on the bottom of the screen. It helps keep my home page and other pages clear of clutter.

There are apps to organize apps within folders. There's really nothing a Blackberry can do that an Android can't. The key is customization. Once you get your device set up, you'll be hooked. It takes a little while to do that.

Yes, I've received a few suggestions for apps organizers, so I'll check those out. This is a must have for me. While I don't have a lot of apps loaded, I needed a quicker way of locating a specific app. Customization, oh yes, It's -all- about customization, even for the most basic of things. Using this phone for work means I don't have a lot of time to spend just trying to set it up to accomplish simple tasks. BB has that covered. All basic needs are part of the OS. Hoping Android updates continue to include more of the basics moving forward.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I've disabled all auto-suggest and auto-correct stuff. I don't understand how people tolerate this, as it never makes any sense, and always screws-up the text with gibberish! Reading your comment reminded me of my own experience of this silly, useless POS and what it did to my texts. I laughed so hard, it hurts!

ROFL! Yes, it makes me crazy! I didn't know I could disable it. How do I do that using the Gingerbread keyboard? I looked but couldn't find the option. I don't know how anyone can type fast because you have to go back all the time to correct the spelling corrections! Sometimes it just whips a bogus word out of the ether, but it can't seem to make haven't out of haven'r. Plus, when you add the fact that I keep pressing the google voice, input and return keys by mistake, you're looking at a 10 minute, 10 word text! I just wanted to kick something yesterday when I was trying to type. lol

LavallavaL

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
In "Settings", go to "Language and Keyboard" and into "multi-touch keyboard".

I've killed "Show suggestions", "Auto-correct errors" and "Auto-punctuate", and have been happy ever since. I have no idea if anyone, anywhere on the planet, actually "likes" these useless, innacurate and CPU cycle stealing features, but I'm glad I can turn them off.

If any of the managers at Google's Android arm read this: Stop wasting dev resources on that stuff, It just doesn't work. Never has, never will...

fm123

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You might consider a portable Bluetooth keyboard for serious email writing. Places like Amazon have mini keyboards and travel keyboards.

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
You might consider a portable Bluetooth keyboard for serious email writing. Places like Amazon have mini keyboards and travel keyboards.

eh. We have the Motorola bluetooth keyboard. My wife uses it on the Xoom if she needs to type a long email/document. It is not 100% reliable. Every once in a while it will stick on a key as if someone was holding the key. Turning off the keyboard does not stop it either, only exiting the app or turning off the Xoom will stop it.

plasticglock

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I downloaded it again and have been using it since last night. I remembered what was missing. I like to be able to check off emails for deleting without having to open each one to delete it. Sometimes, I just don't have time to read everything, but this app forces me to open each and every email before I can delete it. That's why I uninstalled it the first time. Everything else is ok, but for the silly steps I have to take in order to copy/cut/paste something. I don't know if I'll keep it, but I'll try it for a few more days.

All you have to do is long press the email you want to select. I hate to sound like I'm selling k9 mail, but it keeps impressing me. I'm going to migrate everything to it.

Also, your phone came from att with swype installed. You only need to turn it on. I believe some world records have been set with swype. It just takes practice, just like your bb did at first.

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site

I've killed "Show suggestions", "Auto-correct errors" and "Auto-punctuate", and have been happy ever since. I have no idea if anyone, anywhere on the planet, actually "likes" these useless, innacurate and CPU cycle stealing features, but I'm glad I can turn them off.

If any of the managers at Google's Android arm read this: Stop wasting dev resources on that stuff, It just doesn't work. Never has, never will...

That's great, thank you! I killed it in both the stock keyboard settings and the Gingerbread keyboard I'm using. I've tried it and it's -much- better. Really, what a relief.... thanks:)

tunie

Phhhhbbbbtttt
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
All you have to do is long press the email you want to select. I hate to sound like I'm selling k9 mail, but it keeps impressing me. I'm going to migrate everything to it.

Also, your phone came from att with swype installed. You only need to turn it on. I believe some world records have been set with swype. It just takes practice, just like your bb did at first.

Oh yes, that's right. I forgot. It shouldn't be a big deal but, having to delete emails one by one makes me crazy. I'm just using gmail app now and enjoying the multi-select option. I did like K-9 a lot. It is an impressive app! The interface is much friendlier, I think, than it is in the gmail app, and it works with WhoIsIt, when gmail doesn't. The problem for me is, I can't live without being able to select multiple emails for a one time action. If they incorporate that feature, I'll probably go back.

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

The Multi-Touch keyboard is a Motorola thing, so they handle the auto-correct, suggestions, and punctuation logic for that keyboard.

Gingerbread has it's own keyboard that includes Multi-Touch support, but it's not the same as the Motorola one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wisak2556