[2013 Christmas Guide] A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: [Christmas Guide] A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices

Hey guys..
I m from india and last phn i used was 1st gen galaxy note....i want to buy a new phone...really confused abt htc one and samsung note 3
I have been a samsung user for more than 1.5 yrs....what i learnt from the experience is that touchwiz can stutter even at great specs.....i dunno what to do...want to switch to htc but note 3 is very tempting on the other hand.....i even thought of waiting for the rumored htc m8...glad to hear opinions ....and yes here in india there r no contracts so i just have to be bothered abt the phn...thanks

Posted via Android Central App

Welcome to the forums.
The Note has more RAM, but I think that is to compensate for TouchWiz.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to the forums.
The Note has more RAM, but I think that is to compensate for TouchWiz.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Yeah i thought the same but what would u advise me to do...coz i dont knw many people who can advise me on this one

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

Hey guys..
I m from india and last phn i used was 1st gen galaxy note....i want to buy a new phone...really confused abt htc one and samsung note 3
I have been a samsung user for more than 1.5 yrs....what i learnt from the experience is that touchwiz can stutter even at great specs.....i dunno what to do...want to switch to htc but note 3 is very tempting on the other hand.....i even thought of waiting for the rumored htc m8...glad to hear opinions ....and yes here in india there r no contracts so i just have to be bothered abt the phn...thanks

I would go with the Note 3 since it's a beast of a phone. Having used both Samsung and HTC, I tend to always go back to Samsung. You can always replace the TW launcher with something like Apex or Nova :)

kpoverdorf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

My wife and I are on VZW (both using Gnex) right now but our contracts are expiring in Dec. I am seriously thinking about going to ATT. I just got my sister the MotoX (VZ) and while helping her set it up I really liked it. I am really torn on what to get. I want the Nexus 5 for the updates (I like new things), I like the MotoX for its battery life and nifty screen/mic features and I like the HTC One for its mega speakers.

I am actually siding towards getting the wife the MotoX and me the Nexus 5. She always complains about her battery being dead and I have my phone on a charger literally all day (I'm IT, sitting at desk all day). Storage space is no concern to me. During the life of my Gnex I don't think I have used more than ~8GB of space. I always use the cloud and I've wiped it too much to keep anything of value on there. the wife may use more space but thats because she gets fussy when I try to teach her how to use the cloud. I just recently had to sneak on her phone and turn on Google photo sync.

I am currently running my Gnex with baldwinguy77's 4.4 ROM. I love it despite the restarts. So knowing how excited I get about even the smallest updates I think I will be better off with the Nexus 5. The wife is stock unlocked and she really doesn't miss the updates. She uses a feature a few times until the wow factor wears out then she just hops on reddit and snapchat.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

My wife and I are on VZW (both using Gnex) right now but our contracts are expiring in Dec. I am seriously thinking about going to ATT. I just got my sister the MotoX (VZ) and while helping her set it up I really liked it. I am really torn on what to get. I want the Nexus 5 for the updates (I like new things), I like the MotoX for its battery life and nifty screen/mic features and I like the HTC One for its mega speakers.

I am actually siding towards getting the wife the MotoX and me the Nexus 5. She always complains about her battery being dead and I have my phone on a charger literally all day (I'm IT, sitting at desk all day). Storage space is no concern to me. During the life of my Gnex I don't think I have used more than ~8GB of space. I always use the cloud and I've wiped it too much to keep anything of value on there. the wife may use more space but thats because she gets fussy when I try to teach her how to use the cloud. I just recently had to sneak on her phone and turn on Google photo sync.

I am currently running my Gnex with baldwinguy77's 4.4 ROM. I love it despite the restarts. So knowing how excited I get about even the smallest updates I think I will be better off with the Nexus 5. The wife is stock unlocked and she really doesn't miss the updates. She uses a feature a few times until the wow factor wears out then she just hops on reddit and snapchat.

Cool. Have you decided if that is the way you are going to go about that?

coopdogyo

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

So I have a situation that is a bit different from some people. I am still on a family plan and my iphone 4 is due for an upgrade. For most people the Nexus 5 is a really good deal but for people like me who have an upgrade it costs more than a phone that is subsidized. So would it be worth getting a Nexus 5 when I could get a phone on contract and subsidized? I have AT&T so I am considering phones on contract like the MotoX and the HTC One. I am not the sort of person who updates my phone very often in fact I will go more than two years without upgrading so I want a phone that will still be decent two years down the line. What would you recommend for a phone that would last and is basically future proofed for the next few years?

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys..

You will love the Note3! My journey: MotoQ -> Blackberry -> Thunderbolt -> S3 -> Note3.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site

So I have a situation that is a bit different from some people. I am still on a family plan and my iphone 4 is due for an upgrade. For most people the Nexus 5 is a really good deal but for people like me who have an upgrade it costs more than a phone that is subsidized. So would it be worth getting a Nexus 5 when I could get a phone on contract and subsidized? I have AT&T so I am considering phones on contract like the MotoX and the HTC One. I am not the sort of person who updates my phone very often in fact I will go more than two years without upgrading so I want a phone that will still be decent two years down the line. What would you recommend for a phone that would last and is basically future proofed for the next few years?
You honestly can't go wrong with a Nexus. They get updates longer than most, if not all, devices out there today because it comes right from Google.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums.
Either the Moto X or the Nexus should be fine if you go a while between phones.

kpoverdorf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

Cool. Have you decided if that is the way you are going to go about that?

That is where I currently stand in my decision making. I could def change but The Nexus 5 and MotoX are kind of the only contenders given their selling points. To name a few....

Nexus 5:
  • Powerful
  • "Vanilla"
  • Decent Size
  • New hardware
  • Direct updates
  • Good Dev support
  • Easy modding

MotoX
  • Clean UI
  • Great features without overwhelming
  • Battery Saving
  • Always on mic
  • Active display
  • Not a powerhouse but not underpowered
  • So far looks to have good support
  • So far receiving updates quickly
  • Good price on contract

I have used the SGS4 and while it is a great phone it just doesn't speak to me and make me want it. None of the Samsung features would last bc I would either ROM or install a launcher. Same goes for the HTC One. The only thing I like about the HTC is its speakers and build quality. I hate how most phones have mediocre speakers. However, the MotoX doesn't seem to have a bad speaker. The N5 is getting mixed reviews, so I will have to see about that.

So unless anyone has any information to sway me, it is looking like the wife and I will either get Nexus 5's or I will get a Nexus 5 and she will get a MotoX.

CruiSin

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices

How is your top weather widget configured? It looks like an HD Widget with Colourform add on, but I can't seem to replicate it?

Marchese

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm currently using a 16GB iPhone 4. I've decided to make a change for Android since iPhone prices here in Brasil are rising to an impossible range (iPhone 5S will retail for almost US$1300 with contract) despite the lack of innovation by Apple. My first option would be the 16GB Moto X (can get one for around US$200 with contract) cause I'm really impressed with the innovative features of this guy. The second deal would be the Nexus 5 (hasn't been released here yet). My only concern is about camera performance since every review put this as a con for the X/Nexus 5 and the iPhone 4 camera serves me pretty well in rough circumstances. Am I right to be concerned about that even if I'm using a 2010 phone?

Thanks for this amazing thread.

kpoverdorf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: A Glimpse into the Ambassador devices

I believe he is using 1Weather. Thats what I use and mine looks like that. you can change the color of the text. Mine is green.

racingbmwm3

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site

I'm getting up to two days on a charge with my G2. That's only ~3+ hours total screen time, but it's also 4 hours streaming high quality music during my 45 mile (one way) commute, mixed LTE and 3G. I average about 11GB per month and I never use wifi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmax36884