3 Reasons I'm Preferring the Galaxy S6 Edge over the Galaxy S6

CrackBerry Kevin

Mobile Nations Chief Media Officer
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm now spent some time with both the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 Edge. I received my Galaxy S6 from Samsung Canada early as a review unit. I spent almost two weeks using it. After dropping the S6 off w/ Fedex to ship the review unit back, I immediately ran to the store yesterday and bought a S6 Edge. Evidence of both occurrences below via Instagram:

I've spent just over 24 hours on the S6 Edge now after using the S6, and already I can clearly tell it is my preferred choice of the two Galaxies... for three distinct reasons (so far at least).

Here they are:

1. It's more attention getting - Normally when you have a pre-release phone you feel pretty awesome about yourself when you sit down in a restaurant and put the phone on a table. Phones are pop culture these days. New phones get noticed. From the front, the Galaxy S6 doesn't look significantly different from Galaxy S devices. There are plenty of differences when you look at the S6 from the sides and back, but from the front only it doesn't scream out that this is the latest and greatest phone on the market. I'm a little vain... if I'm forking over the cash for the hottest new phone on the market, I sort of hope that it gets recognized as such. In comparison, the S6 Edge TOTALLY stands out to friends, colleagues and on the restaurant phone as being a NEW phone. The curved edges simply make the phone look new, unique and awesome.

2. It feels better to type on - This may be a very personal thing that others don't agree with (and that's fine), but somehow with the way the edges are cut on the S6 and screen curves, I find the S6 Edge is more comfortable in my hands while typing. It's maybe even less comfortable TBH... the "edges" kind of feel a bit noticeably "sharp" with the way the metal accommodates the curvature of the front display, yet somehow how the phone sits better in my two hands as I pound away with two thumbs, banging out messages.

3. Edge screen alarm clock (and other Edge screen features) are kinda awesome - Going into it I thought the Edge screen features were probably going to be gimmicky, but turns out they're kind rad. They're minimal, but useful. I setup of my contact favorites, which I can now swipe in from the right to access from the home screen. It's just a fun gesture to do. And I setup my clock so it shows up on the Edge glass between the hours of 11pm and 6am. It's a perfect bedside alarm clock companion. There are other Edge screen utilities to put to use - I've barely explored the others yet, but already I'm sold just on the ones mentioned.

I get that the Edge costs more, and that is sure to be a consideration for many going into the purchase decision. If the money matters, you're still a total winner with the S6. But if the extra $$ are not a concern, for the reasons mentioned above I've totally down with the S6 Edge.

Anything else I'm missing here? Who's with me (or not)?!

maverick96

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Totally with you. Once you start using the Edge vs. the regular 6 it becomes apparent that all of Samsung's focus really went into this phone and the 6 was made just to keep people who are afraid of change happy.

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Great points.

The edge is kind of future proof as well. Samsung design of the edge is very well implemented. What other manufacturer is going to come out with a device that carries a dual curved display and a proprietary 8 core processor??

The answer is probably Samsung with the Note 5 but for most this is considered a different class. Apple, LG, Motorola, Sony, etc.. none of these bro's are coming with that kind of heat.

Posted via the Android Central App

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the 128GB Edge on AT&T, but I could not get past the uncomfortable feeling while holding it, didn't seem to be as secure as a full sided phone. Don't get me wrong I WANTED the S6 Edge, and I actually think it looks much better in White Pearl than Black Sapphire. Perhaps next time.

Techno-guy

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I had the 128GB Edge on AT&T, but I could not get past the uncomfortable feeling while holding it, didn't seem to be as secure as a full sided phone. Don't get me wrong I WANTED the S6 Edge, and I actually think it looks much better in White Pearl than Black Sapphire. Perhaps next time.

Great post Kevin! Agreed on all counts but the edge features are pretty lame, at the moment, but I have high hopes for Samsung and 3rd Party developers fixing this soon!

@Raptor007 - As for the uncomfortable feeling holding the edge, it was all resolved (and then some) for me with the Spigen Neo Hybrid case. Improves both looks and grip by huge margins!

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm now spent some time with both the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the Galaxy S6 Edge. I received my Galaxy S6 from Samsung Canada early as a review unit. I spent almost two weeks using it. After dropping the S6 off w/ Fedex to ship the review unit back, I immediately ran to the store yesterday and bought a S6 Edge. Evidence of both occurrences below via Instagram:

I've spent just over 24 hours on the S6 Edge now after using the S6, and already I can clearly tell it is my preferred choice of the two Galaxies... for three distinct reasons (so far at least).

Here they are:

1. It's more attention getting - Normally when you have a pre-release phone you feel pretty awesome about yourself when you sit down in a restaurant and put the phone on a table. Phones are pop culture these days. New phones get noticed. From the front, the Galaxy S6 doesn't look significantly different from Galaxy S devices. There are plenty of differences when you look at the S6 from the sides and back, but from the front only it doesn't scream out that this is the latest and greatest phone on the market. I'm a little vain... if I'm forking over the cash for the hottest new phone on the market, I sort of hope that it gets recognized as such. In comparison, the S6 Edge TOTALLY stands out to friends, colleagues and on the restaurant phone as being a NEW phone. The curved edges simply make the phone look new, unique and awesome.

2. It feels better to type on - This may be a very personal thing that others don't agree with (and that's fine), but somehow with the way the edges are cut on the S6 and screen curves, I find the S6 Edge is more comfortable in my hands while typing. It's maybe even less comfortable TBH... the "edges" kind of feel a bit noticeably "sharp" with the way the metal accommodates the curvature of the front display, yet somehow how the phone sits better in my two hands as I pound away with two thumbs, banging out messages.

3. Edge screen alarm clock (and other Edge screen features) are kinda awesome - Going into it I thought the Edge screen features were probably going to be gimmicky, but turns out they're kind rad. They're minimal, but useful. I setup of my contact favorites, which I can now swipe in from the right to access from the home screen. It's just a fun gesture to do. And I setup my clock so it shows up on the Edge glass between the hours of 11pm and 6am. It's a perfect bedside alarm clock companion. There are other Edge screen utilities to put to use - I've barely explored the others yet, but already I'm sold just on the ones mentioned.

I get that the Edge costs more, and that is sure to be a consideration for many going into the purchase decision. If the money matters, you're still a total winner with the S6. But if the extra $$ are not a concern, for the reasons mentioned above I've totally down with the S6 Edge.

Anything else I'm missing here? Who's with me (or not)?!

That's awesome to hear. I think there's a lot of us that were on the fence about whether the S6 or S6 Edge was the right choice. I believe we share the same affinity for mobile and have probably used an obnoxious amount of phones (I still need to get my hands on a BlackBerry Classic) so, for me at least, the Edge represented something different. I found that not only is it easier to type on (for me), not only is it gorgeous, and not only are the Edge features actually fairly useful, but the sliding out of side menus in Lollipop has never felt more satisfying.

Went out tonight with some people for drinks and a good friend of mine bought the S6 (absolutely loves it). He showed off the display, the quick camera launch, etc, and of course everyone was impressed. I took my Edge out of my pocket and completely stole his thunder. What I found amusing is that everyone at the table had seen the commercials and at least here in the US, the Edge is displayed more prominently in those ads. They actually referenced "This is the phone I thought was the S6". Off the reaction, and playing with it out of a case and untethered, my friend is going to exchange his S6 for the Edge tomorrow.

It's not for everyone and not everyone is going to want to pay the extra $100, but there's just an appeal to the Edge I haven't felt in a long, long time. Doesn't hurt that overall it's probably the best phone available right now, too.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigD