.596 won't hold a signal on my wifi

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've been having some issues with my Droid X and wifi for a while. I lose my wifi signal at home or it appears I have it and I discover it's dead because I can't load a web page.

So I have to turn wifi off, then back on and that usually fixes it. I drop wifi about once every 12 - 24 hours. It's VERY annoying.

However with .596 I can't seem to hold wifi connection for more than a few minutes.

I love this phone but the data connectivity issues are really ticking me off, especially with the "tiered data plans" that will be introduced some time this summer. How freaking unfair is that to introduce tiered data, yet have devices out in the world that can't hold a freaking wifi signal properly?

I've seen other posts with this issue...and my friend's Droid X has it as well...I think it's actually quite common. Please prove me wrong. Are others just not using it, or using it a lot and it's working flawless? I've already had to swap out one Droid X because of the "blown speaker" thing (sounded blown but I guess it's really vibration).

I can't believe they could get so much right with this phone, but something this major wrong.

How is your phone with .596 playing with wifi?

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
my wifi work flawlessly no matter where i was through 2.1 - 2.2 - and now on 2.3 ah nada, it's so bad that vzw is sending a replacement, lets see if that works. It so touchy this software, to see it has worked all along and then gingerbread and it breaks, it's can't stay connected for more than five minutes even if i'm standing right in front of the router.

I feel your pain. If you have exchanged the same device more than five times i think it is you can choose another model to swap it for. Despite it's little bugs here and there, i have not been able to let for of my dx, even retuning to it from the dx2. but every phone is different like every individual, so a different model or brand phone may be your solution. call up vzw, be calm but stern and negotiate till they give you what you want.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I appreciate the response....I thought maybe I WAS crazy since I've had a ton of views but no "yeah, me too".

I don't think I'd even care about this wifi thing except tiered data is around the corner.

I exchanged my Fascinate for the Droid X and a honestly aside from this I never would have thought twice. But I need my data to work correctly.

Motoslave

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I personally have no problems on my wifi running 802.11G... but my friend's DX has the same dropping issues with his N network to where he had to switch to G to get it stable.

Not sure what you're running but you might want to try switching to see if it's more stable. Not really a solution, but it would potentially narrow down the problem. Good luck!

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
also, something that might help that a lot of people overlook:

follow this path: menu>settings>wireless & networks>wi-fi settings>menu>advanced and change your wi-fi sleep policy from "when screen turns off" to "never". i use to get annoyed with my phone constantly dropping my wi-fi signal, but i havent had any issues since switching this setting

wabyrd

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site

follow this path: menu>settings>wireless & networks>wi-fi settings>menu>advanced and change your wi-fi sleep policy from "when screen turns off" to "never". i use to get annoyed with my phone constantly dropping my wi-fi signal, but i havent had any issues since switching this setting
Thanks for the tip on that one! I forgot to make that change on mine. I had already turned battery saver off, but I couldn't figure out why my data stopped when the screen went off...

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I have my wifi set to never sleep and I've been having the same issue on all the gingerbread leaks and now on the official build of gingerbread as well. This is highly annoying and sucks I've used 15 gb this month so far on 3G :-(

Last edited:

gforce1963

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
count me as one who's a little ticked with the wifi performance. Worked fine woth Froyo..GB is causing issues. So much for the soak test...

anon(161369)

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Same here wifi just dies for no reason im going to abc and see if anything changes.... sucks to hear it ain't just me

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

gforce1963

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
well..i tried another suggestion I saw on another board. I was running both my routers in mixed G/N mode. I dropped them both to G and so far the connection has been stable. It was fine on froyo..I wonder why we have to possibly do this for a solution? I'm going to run it this way for today and see what happens.

anon(161369)

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Wow please get back to us with the results man because I just reinsalled froyo and really don't want to accept that ota again..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Yeah hopefully we get another update it may be a 2.3.3 issue rather than a 4.5.596 issue because I've had the same problem with wifi disconnecting on all the leaks 4.5.573, 4.5.588, 4.5.591,and 4.5.595

gforce1963

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
For far so good. I've streamed some local radio stations..downloaded Navigon and maps..all on Wifi. No drops. Plus when the screen comes back on, wifi is active and my Fancy widget clock updates the weather every time. So I'd throw out the recommendation for those having problems..are you running your wireless router in mixed mode? If so, drop it down to G only and see if that solves the problem.

racechris74

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site

Excellent tip!!! This fixed my problem. G vs N band issue seems interesting, but most people should be solved with this advanced setting. Thanks again!

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
This may sound crazy but how many users having issues hard reset device before doing update.... I have noticed a number of issues reported could have been avoided if a reset was done before updating to a major update.

Most users have been resolving issues like this with clearing cache and data that is basically the same as hard resetting because you still have to reconfigure the device after clearing this data but users just seem to feel that a reset isn't needed but after they clear system and cache data, they usually end up calling and complaining about issues and get a replacement device that they have to reload anyway...

Why not just cut the amount of headaches off the top and backup and do a hard rest?

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
Anybody else

You know strangely enough, i thought i was having an account error with verizon and google because my wifi worked perfectly before GB, then on the test t would not work. they decided to exchange my device and boom, it works perfectly.

It must be something that goes corrupt after the update, cause i sbf'd back to .340 and the wifi was working find again. odd.