6T In-Display Fingerprint Reader...Trade-Off?

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
No, not talking about trading away the headphone jack, or trading up for a bigger battery.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the in-display fingerprint tech we've seen to date isn't secure enough to handle anything heavier than simply unlocking the screen. No mobile payments, banking apps, etc. So, how does OP intend to handle the more security sensitive tasks? Force us to fall back on a PIN, or will they show us a big step forward in optical fingerprint security?

I personally don't think that would be a good trade. Cool new tech at the expense of important functionality? It's not like the physical fingerprint reader is holding us back to begin with.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been wondering this as well. I'm also wondering about screen burn in where the fingerprint sensor is.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't think that's any more likely to burn than nav buttons

But the nav buttons aren't on the whole time that your screen is off. Does the fingerprint sensor stay lit up all the time? I'm unfamiliar with how a sensor like this works

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
But the nav buttons aren't on the whole time that your screen is off. Does the fingerprint sensor stay lit up all the time? I'm unfamiliar with how a sensor like this works
Not sure about that. I doubt it'll be lit all the time. Maybe it'll wake up when you tap or lift the phone, similar to ambient display.

katmandoo122

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
If the FP scanner allows for secure transactions and app usage, then it's a fine trade off. But if it's not, then it's not worth it and I won't be getting the phone. It's amazing that a manufacturer would launch a FP scanner of any sort that cannot be used with secure apps.

ThomasChrs

Oct 26, 2018
Visit site
The in-display fingerprint may seem a cool option but I would always prefer the fingerprint option at the back of the device. It is better to have it trade off.