a couple of questions

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys,

In managed applications should i be forcing some of these things closed especially things that I dont use such as sprint nascar.

Also how can i reduce battery drain when the phone is idling. it says my phone idle is 28%. what exactly does that mean?

Thanks

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
If you do not use the application, go ahead and close them. Just be carful on a few of the ones that you should not force close, such as the HTC sense. Just close all the named applications and you will be fine. As far as phone idle, the only way I have been able to get that to go down, is by using the phone. That just means is becasue the phone is just sitting there locked with the screen off, it is still using some of the battery life. It is based on the awake time and the off charger time.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yea, idle just means the process of your phone sitting doing nothing. The less you use your phone, the more idle will take up.

Now things like sprint nascar, can you force close them? Yea. Is that gonna help anything? No. It doesn't use up any resources really sitting there in the background.

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey Guys,

In managed applications should i be forcing some of these things closed especially things that I dont use such as sprint nascar.

Also how can i reduce battery drain when the phone is idling. it says my phone idle is 28%. what exactly does that mean?

Thanks

What uses battery and when:

Display- if your screen is on it is using battery. Turning down the brightness will help the battery if you are going to be in the same amount of light for a long time. otherwise, leave it on auto brightness

Phone idle, Phone standby- Both of these are out of your control. The phone just sitting there does drain some battery. not a massive amount unless your phone is fighting to keep connected to a tower (signal bar is bouncing a lot)

Applications:

Internet applications like Facebook, News, Weather, Twitter and E-mail drain battery every time they connect to the Internet to download updates. By adjusting how often these apps should update (through accounts and sync) in settings will help lower their battery consumption. i.e. making facebook check for updates once every 3 hours as opposed to once an hour makes a difference.

GPS- GPS being turned on does not use battery. It DOES use battery if you see the satellite icon in your status bar. If an app like Maps is running it's not using battery unless it is using your GPS.

CPU- Any application or function that uses the CPU is draining the battery. Usually an app that is running in the background doesn't use the cpu. IF so it does for a short little spurt.

Heres one more important thing that most Android users can't seem to wrap their heads around. Running applications do NOT drain your battery. All they do is reserve some of your system RAM just in case you need to quickly load the app. Android 2.2 (Froyo) manages memory very well. If it needs memory that an idle app is using up it will close that app itself to get the memory back.

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys,

my next question is about the auto rotate of the screen. it seems like it takes a few seconds for the screen to switch to landscape so i can type. is that normal or should it be as soon as the phone is flipped?

Thanks

Trust

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys,

my next question is about the auto rotate of the screen. it seems like it takes a few seconds for the screen to switch to landscape so i can type. is that normal or should it be as soon as the phone is flipped?

Thanks

That's one thing I hate about my Evo compared to the iphone. The screen rotation drives me nuts. It flips when I dont need it to and lags when I want to. I just turned it off completely lol.

msoprano13

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
That's one thing I hate about my Evo compared to the iphone. The screen rotation drives me nuts. It flips when I dont need it to and lags when I want to. I just turned it off completely lol.
that definately sounds like a solution. is there a way to rotate the screen manually?

daving313

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
You're probably using more battery going through the process of closing applications manually then just letting the phone manage the task processing. These are "smart" phones, they don't need manually managed for efficiency.