A few questions (android and Note)

ronpfid

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I used to use Android (had a Note 4 a long time ago), I went to Iphone for years but am thinking about going back to a Note
I miss the customizable screens, widgets, the S-pen...
but...
A few things I'm wondering about since it's been so long...

1) Back in those days, I had to pay extra for visual voicemail (Verizon), but iphone does that for free, how is that now with reading a voicemail on android?
2) Can you block spam phone calls on a droid? I can click block and it adds that number to my block list with my iphone, can you do that with a droid?
3) Can you press on a phone number or address and have it automatically bring up the needed app (like press a phone number and it pops up the dialer, or press an address and it pops up google maps)?
4) what's the easiest way to 'message' someone on an ipad from an android? I know imessage is out, but do you guys just use another message app for that purpose?

thanks!
Ron

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I used to use Android (had a Note 4 a long time ago), I went to Iphone for years but am thinking about going back to a Note
I miss the customizable screens, widgets, the S-pen...
but...
A few things I'm wondering about since it's been so long...

I'm going to answer your questions based on my current phones, all unlocked versions from Samsung [Note 20 Ultra, Z Fold 2, Z Flip 5G]:

1) Back in those days, I had to pay extra for visual voicemail (Verizon), but iphone does that for free, how is that now with reading a voicemail on android?
I can't personally answer this one as I've never had Verizon but here's an FAQ page from Verizon's website.

2) Can you block spam phone calls on a droid? I can click block and it adds that number to my block list with my iphone, can you do that with a droid?
Same & Easy as anything. For unknown callers: Look at your "Recents" Tab in the phone app, Tap the "i" icon (for info), select Block.

3) Can you press on a phone number or address and have it automatically bring up the needed app (like press a phone number and it pops up the dialer, or press an address and it pops up google maps)?
Yes! For example, if you have multiple apps that allow you to look at directions or a map, the phone will ask you which app to use (like Google Maps or maybe a GPS app). You can also select the "default" app so you don't have to see the choices.

4) what's the easiest way to 'message' someone on an ipad from an android? I know imessage is out, but do you guys just use another message app for that purpose?
If the person using the iPad has an associated iPhone phone number then you can text them normally by using your favorite Android SMS app. I used to be able to use their email address associated with their AppleID & text them if they had no iPhone associated with their iPad but for some reason, it's not working for me today. Also, The iPad user might have to "allow" this type of message contact in the settings menu.

A couple of other recommendations:
1) On an Android device you can install and use (Google Android) Messages. Also on other platforms (tablets, Windows or Mac or [I think] Linux] computers] through a webpage, you can text using Google Messages.

2) If still want to use and sync Apple iCloud Contacts or Calendar with an Android device, check out these apps: smoothsync for iCloud or
Sync for iCloud Contacts
You'll have to create an Apple App-specific password for the app but they work great. I've been using them for quite awhile since I still live in the Apple world excepts for phones.

3) If you want to really get into Android phone customization check out the Kustom Suite of apps (KLWP. KLCK, KWGT). There are tons of free or paid themes (called presets) or you can make your own. It you want some involved types of customization, check out Brandon Craft's Youtube channel. He's got the best tutorials and lots of free stuff! You can use the free versions of the Kustom apps but it's totally worth it to get one or more of the paid versions. Wonderful Dev support and a great community too.

4) Like with Samsung phones (for example), let's say you do not like their UI/Launcher you can change which Launcher you want to use. I prefer Nova Launcher. It's worth the paid version too.

So many great Android phone to choose from. There is not going to be a new Samsung Note this year so you can either wait until next year or check out a Note 20 Ultra. It's the perfect Note model!
Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

ronpfid

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
cool ok great answers! thanks!
Oh yeah I used to always use Nova launcher, I had my previous droid phones customized to the gills lol. I miss that!
cool on the messaging ok, awesome.
I'll read that FAQ about voicemail...

thanks for all the great info ~!

ronpfid

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
Oh one more question..
Used to be on the Note, the grid was horrid, I loved Nova so I could have way more icons and such with a customized grid size. BUT you couldn't use the Notes sticky note thing with Nova. What is the grid layout now on a stock note? Or can you use the sticky notes with nova now?

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh one more question..
Used to be on the Note, the grid was horrid, I loved Nova so I could have way more icons and such with a customized grid size. BUT you couldn't use the Notes sticky note thing with Nova. What is the grid layout now on a stock note? Or can you use the sticky notes with nova now?

To be honest, I never use the Stock Samsung UI/Launcher (now called One UI, waaaaay, waaaay better than the old TouchWiz!!!). It's a 1000% better by I'm so used to Nova and my own personal Kustom Live WallPaper (KLWP) theme that I never even look at One UI on any of my new phones. Nova has come a long way too...for the better. Soon they'll come out with Nova 7 which is supposed to be great. A major refresh.
In Nova, you can set the Grid from 2 to 12 rows and 2 to 12 columns. I don't use any Grid on my home screens as I use my Kustom theme where I made my own app launcher (which I can show or hide with a tap of a button).

I vaguely remember "Sticky Notes." Was that like a widget? With Nova you can have tons of widgets if an app developer offers them (like Samsung Notes has a few widgets). Long press on the Home screen, select "Widgets" and choose what you want.

*Note: I updated my response to you regarding an iPad User that does not have an iPhone associated with the iPad. Not working today the way that I explained using an email address. I need to play around some more. I have an iPhone XR but it doesn't have a SIM in it. I was trying to text from my Samdung phone with a SIM to iMessages on my Mac but the messages failed.

ronpfid

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
OK cool, thanks
I never used my stock launchers back in those days either, I just remember the stock one was horrid, like 4x6 or something, one widget and a few icons and the screen was full.
All this sounds good, I think I am leaning more towards going back to droid. I think the Samsung watches now are close enough to the apple watch that I won't miss that either. (plus they look nicer, hate the applewatch shape).
thanks man, I'll read your update above too!

ronpfid

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
oh yeah, just remembered my other question..
Years ago, the lock screen notifications on androids were 'grouped' so if you had 3 emails, it would just say 3 new emails. But on iphone, it shows each email with a preview so you can get a quick glimpse of the content. Is Android still that way for notificaions on the lock screen?

RAvEcREAToR23

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh one more question..

SAMSUNG have themes with allows shange icons too... And i use this magic app for wallpapers ➡️https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ubeecube.slideshowwallpaper 😅 it alows select folders with wallpapers and they shange at random at selected time. I have over 5000 images and all of them randomly shange on my screen every 10 sec this way never need wory about same wallpaper and if double tap on screen it shows next randomly wallpaper 😍

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
oh yeah, just remembered my other question..
Years ago, the lock screen notifications on androids were 'grouped' so if you had 3 emails, it would just say 3 new emails. But on iphone, it shows each email with a preview so you can get a quick glimpse of the content. Is Android still that way for notificaions on the lock screen?

Yes, the native OS allows you to see a portion of an incoming text message on your lockscreen.

ronpfid

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
OK text but not if you have a few new emails? Does it group those like it did years ago, and just say something like
"3 new emails"
or would it show all 3 separately on the lock screen with a portion of each?

I only ask as I drive a lot and keep my phone in a car cradle, when a work related email pops in, I like to look and see without having to reach over, unlock the phone and open things up while driving.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've kept my voice mail deactivated for a few years now but I would have sworn Visual Voicemail was free back when I used it. I've been with Verizon 9 years and used to work for them.

I know there was a premium tier that allowed you to store more messages, but I thought the basic was free.

burrzoo

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
OK text but not if you have a few new emails? Does it group those like it did years ago, and just say something like
"3 new emails"
or would it show all 3 separately on the lock screen with a portion of each?

I only ask as I drive a lot and keep my phone in a car cradle, when a work related email pops in, I like to look and see without having to reach over, unlock the phone and open things up while driving.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe if there are more than 1 email, it won't show you a preview. Just like you mentioned, it will say something like "XXX@emailAddress.com - You have 2 more emails."

There might be some setting that I'm not aware of...I made & use a Kustom Lockscreen (KLCK) theme that will show me specific app notifications and associated text.

Hopefully, someone else can confirm or provide another solution.

ronpfid

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm not 100% sure but I believe if there are more than 1 email, it won't show you a preview. Just like you mentioned, it will say something like "XXX@emailAddress.com - You have 2 more emails."

There might be some setting that I'm not aware of...I made & use a Kustom Lockscreen (KLCK) theme that will show me specific app notifications and associated text.

Hopefully, someone else can confirm or provide another solution.

OK it used to show previews individual, then they changed the OS to not, back then I had a customized lock screen locker.. something, that would show individual, must still be that way, thanks!