[ACS][ROM] Leaf Rom - 0.2

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ACS][ROM] Leaf Rom - 0.1

Out of pure boredom today, I wrote a little GUI to the LeafRom copying process.

To show that it's still working, the buttons are disabled while files are being transferred, and there is a live console output at the bottom.

EDIT: It does do a little error checking to make sure files like the adb server, exploit files, and Rom folder are there, but I don't check anything inside the Rom folder since some users (like me) replaced them to use theme kitchen or delete a little extra bloatware. It does not however check that your phone is connected with debugging enabled. I assume this would make my app hang on "adb.exe wait-for-device" in the beginning of the bat file.

EDIT 2: Between Facebook, Skype and news distractions, I worked all night (but mostly got distracted) to update this simple app and release it. Its been personally tested and my phone has survived, making this safe to use! :D It seems like it's a little bi-polar on whether to give adb output though. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I'd like to fix that in the future.

Requirements: .NET 2.0, and Shabby's Rom!

Features:
  • Copy the ROM
  • Option to not include the custom ringtone
  • Option to automatically reboot to recovery if you want to do the factory wipe
  • Send a custom theme
  • Reboot automatically to apply the new theme
  • Live command output inside the GUI

My plans:
  • Fix console to always show adb output
  • Add support for custom boot animation in version 0.2 of LeafRom

That's all there is to it, really. It still checks to makes sure the adb and exploit files exist, and that the Rom directory is also in place before attempting to send the files. To send a theme, only the adb.exe and .dll files are needed. When sending a custom theme, don't forget to unlock your phone! I use su -c to remount /system as writable and again as read-only. If your phone is not unlocked, su cannot pop up on your phone asking for permissions. This app will NOT prevent you from closing it during a transfer, so you probably don't wanna click the close button. If your phone is not already connected and in debugging mode but you click continue anyways, it will most likely hang or eventually freeze. It doesn't have super-advanced checking, I'm trusting you here.

To use it, simply extract and drop LeafRom.exe inside the folder where the adb.exe and other files reside. This requires the default directory structure. If you haven't renamed or moved anything after extracting Shabby's zip file, you're good to go.

I claim no responsibility for anything that may happen to your phone. If you choose to use my application, you are responsible for your own actions. That being said, if something should happen, you can still post asking for help. There is a command line at the bottom of the application that you can copy paste so we may see where the process went wrong.

And lastly, I want to thank Shabby for letting me build on his work. I haven't done anything but build a GUI for users who want point and click access by copying his commands into a C# .NET app. If anyone is interested in porting this to Mac or Linux, I included the source so it can be ported to Mono.

Last edited:
Reactions: fencerjared

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

That was an easy process! Had to restart a couple times (because of my own inexperience), but finally got everything up and running.

Battery life is already drastically improved, and thanks to the removal of all the bloat, I have space on the device itself! Curses on Samsung for giving us so little device storage.

camillo4u

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site

I can't wait to try this out. My replenish comes in the mail tomorrow...I left my evo for the pixi.....and now I'm coming back to android. Has anyone had any success overclocking the replenish and getting it to run flash? I would think this is possible since 800mhz is sufficient for flash.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

I can't wait to try this out. My replenish comes in the mail tomorrow...I left my evo for the pixi.....and now I'm coming back to android. Has anyone had any success overclocking the replenish and getting it to run flash? I would think this is possible since 800mhz is sufficient for flash.

Overclocking isn't possible without a custom kernel. Shabby mentions in his first post that LeafRom is nothing more than a glorified stock at the moment, but he is already working on our next update. While we don't have the fancy stuff Cyanogenmod has (I'm not even sure what they have myself), the .apk files have been modified and offer a more stable ROM and longer battery life.

Maybe this will eventually pick up some and other developers could help him out. I'd love to learn this stuff, Linux is nothing new to me. Java, on the other hand, is. :(

EDIT: To avoid a double post, I'll just edit this one. Has the phone apk been modified in this version? I just made a phone call and couldn't hang up. Every time the slider got near the edge my screen would fade and re-appear. It kept up for about 5 tries until the other person hung up. My phone was connected through USB and debugging mode is enabled if that gives any useful info.

Last edited:

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Maybe another dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Now thay this has rooted my phone, is it possible to install any other ROMs, or is this currently the only ROM out there that will work on this device?

Example, I hear a lot about cyanogen... is it possible to loads that on a Replenish (or would I even want to)?

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Maybe another dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

Now thay this has rooted my phone, is it possible to install any other ROMs, or is this currently the only ROM out there that will work on this device?

Example, I hear a lot about cyanogen... is it possible to loads that on a Replenish (or would I even want to)?

If you installed another ROM and it booted, it'd be a miracle. Each device has it's own differences, so they all need to be made for specific devices. Lucky for us, the Replenish is similar enough to what Shabby has to easily modify ours after ShabbyMod. No questions are dumb. Everyone's new at some point.

Reactions: tentonbricks

tentonbricks

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site

That makes sense. That being said, I'm definitely happy with what's been done with Leaf. My batter life is crazy improved, which makes it worth the upgrade, even if it is just a glorified stock.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

Not to mention improved stability. I haven't had a single system app force close again since switching from stock. We may be on v0.1, but ShabbyMod is on 0.9-beta. Ours is early, but backed by another of Shabby's mods for the Prevail. It's awesome that he's able to do this for us without even owning the phone.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a look around on that wiki again and see. I haven't bothered trying to remove bloat yet. Here's a link for anyone else who wants to try too.

Safe Apps to Remove - SDX-Developers

I updated to 0.2, did factory reset, but still have the stock boot. I tried placing it in /data/local/bootanimation.zip and /system/customize/resource/. After I saw that you made your own boot animation, I made one too. Your resolution is a bit off though (240x320). I'm still working on the flasher app for 0.2 as well.

bootanimation.gif

EDIT: I tried /system/media/bootanimation.zip now too. Thinking it could have been the *.qmg files, I backed them up and removed them. I no longer have any boot animation and my phone boots faster. I get "failed to copy 'Boot\bootani.qmg' to '/system/media/bootani.qmg': Permission denied" with a push, or with shell "C:\Users\FirehaK\Documents\LeafRom 0.2>adb.exe shell su -c 'mv /mnt/sdcard/bootani.qmg /system/media/bootani.qmg' failed on /mnt/sdcard/bootani.qmg' - Cross-device link" I was finally able to move it back. Still a no go for customs. :(

Aside from whining that one little feature isn't working, I'm happy to see file expert as the file manager and the improved media scanner tweak. It's crazy fast to scan my nearly full 4gb sdhc card now.

Last edited:

zdog291

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for the custom rom. Would it be possible to incorporate ad hoc support into the rom kernel (if thats possible i'm somewhat of a noob). I did manage using the instructions here to get it to work on the default system but was wondering if you could incorporate it into this rom

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys thanks for the custom rom. Would it be possible to incorporate ad hoc support into the rom kernel (if thats possible i'm somewhat of a noob). I did manage using the instructions here to get it to work on the default system but was wondering if you could incorporate it into this rom

Shabby believes he has a way to add a new kernel to the rom. If he get's enough time, you might get lucky.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
SendLeaf v0.2

SendLeaf for LeafRom v0.2
I got frustrated with boot animations, so I went to work on the flasher and gave it the name "SendLeaf." The batch script did away with showing most commands and just saying "Copying files.." instead, and so have I. This made things much easier.

Screens:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Discalaimer:
Just as Shabbypenguin is not responsible for problems caused by the LeafRom, I am not responsible for problems caused by SendLeaf. Choosing to use this software means accepting all responsibility. That being said, I will still do my best to assist you in the case that something does go wrong. I have tested this on my own phone multiple times throughout development and feel it is ready for release, but some features are yet to be added in.

SendLeaf is a graphical version of the batch script provided in the LeafRom zip file.
  • It sends LeafRom to your phone just as the batch file does
  • Send modified framework-res.apk files without the need to completely re-flash
  • Optionally reboot to recovery after flash
  • Custom boot animations are on the way once I hear back from Shabby. All code is in place, but disabled.
  • As people report what apps are bloat, I will enable "Remove bloatware" under customize. This will allow us to remove bloat with the need for Shabby to make quick fixes and re-releases.

Plans:
  • An entire form for customization options
  • Fake stock, should you need to return your phone (Will be useless once we have stock Odin files)
  • Anything you guys would like to see for customization?

Known issues:

• SendLeaf appears to be stuck at "re-mounting /system" when sending framework-res.apk. Google Maps force closed on me, I pressed ok and rebooted. It worked regardless. I'll work at improving this in the future.

Notes:
Re-written from scratch, and compact! The only requirements are .NET 2.0, and to be placed inside the directory where the batch script, adb.exe, and other files reside.

Enjoy! Remember, this is for LeafRom v0.2! Don't place in your v0.1 directory!

EDIT: Sorry guys, now it's been uploaded. ;)

Last edited:

camillo4u

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking for sendleaf and the 0.2 rom but don't see it attached to your post.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found 0.2....my mistake. Now I just need to figure out where sendleaf is hiding.

Last edited:

ronald600

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Shabbypenguin and the Android Creative Syndicate
are proud to present to you

Leaf Rom

Alright lets get to the nitty gritty of it all, this is the thread where all 0.x-1.x versions will be released, as it stands right now this is nothing more then just a glorified stock, but its better then that ;). deodexing the rom allows for easier themeing so i want to see some creative **** start to flow in.. yall dont want me making themes... anyways down to the goods

Changelog:

• - Custom bootanimations (sorry guys my graphics guys didnt have the time to make one for yall's phone.. and rather then putting this off i figured you would find one you liked ;)..)
  • - Maximized Media scanner speeds
  • - Changed out some of teh apps for slightly better apps
  • - removed sprint id and base launcher, included now is go launcher. a feature rich launcher with all sorts of cool things (and themes)
  • - Removed RescueStarter and RescueServer from the phone.

• - Now has the latest in malware protecting (yes even the gingerbread malware apps)
  • - Sped up media scanning
  • - Added GPS tweaks
  • - Added ad blocking hosts file
  • - Enabled ADB on boot
  • - Increased max window manager events to 60 (smoothness increase)
  • - Several other build.prop tweaks
  • - Deodex'd
  • - Zipaligned
  • - Bloat removed
  • - Pre-rooted
  • - Enabled stagefright

Ok look i know yall are getting the update today and all that and so it may seem like this is kinda pointless, but firehak was nice enough to get me a copy of teh update (ill post it here in a min)., but alas its just like teh prevail and its filled with patches.. so that mean i need some brave person on stock to update and snag the base files for me.

now im sure some of you are prolly wondering what Rescue server and rescue starter are. well hidden away on the prevail i came across some interesting code for it, as it turns out its a program developed by logmein for sprint. for anyone unfamiliar with logmein, its a remote access company.

now look i understand there is porlly a 100 ways sprint can access the device and do what they want when they want. my only question is, do they really need such an obvious show of it? its constantly running (dont bother checking "running services tab" using adb shell or terminal emulator type in the following:

pidof RescueStarter

if you get a number then tada... yours is running ;). so back to what i was saying, does sprint really ned this process running in the background? i say nay, phones already have crappy life why have more crap running (hidden at that). all i did for teh rom is remove the binaries, with teh files firehak gave me i should be able to construct a odin tar for yall.

Credits:
Interdpth - For making root possible
ACS - For being a kickass team of like minded devs/themers/people
to all my beta testers for beta testing and risking their phones :D
Rodderik - for teh malware patch
k0nane - for so much help along the way
Firehak - For just being an awesome guy

On behalf of all the people who have been on the fence between the XPRT and the Replenish.
I would just like to thank you for making what is suppose to be an easy decision , very hard.
Seriously !!!
The amount of work and support that you and the rest of the crew put into this phone is amazing. What you are teaching everyone is that there is far more to a phone than the base specs.:eek:
With the exception of "flash",
You have managed to address all the issues people have with the Replenish:D
You have managed to take a suppose to be medium platform and turn it into a great tool:)
You have proven that a phone with a dedicated support base is a better choice than a suppose to be higher end phone with no support base.
Now if I can just talk my I.T. folks into letting me have a Replenish I wont have to carry 2 phones

camillo4u

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Excellent job on this rom!!!!! It was way to easy to get leaf on the replenish. It was practically a one click process even without using the sendleaf GUI.

firehak

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Sorry! It was 4am here and I was pretty tired! I zipped it, got screenshots of me re-flashing my phone, and just wanted to go to bed. Haha. Uploading it now.. Hopefully boot animations will be resolved sometime soon, but it's not the most important thing for a rom. Sending the rom is pretty easy with the script, yeah. It's just a matter of some users who still get nervous about it or just really don't know what they're doing one want one click and to be done. Sorry I hadn't realized about forgetting to attach SendLeaf beforehand, but glad you still tried LeafRom and saw interest in my app. It's not too often I ever make something that turns out to be useful. :p

By the way Shabby, would you still like a version for ShabbyMod? I'll download it and modify the batch script, but I won't have a way to test it. I shouldn't need to, but it's always possible to miss something.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noniegreer74